Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Zygomorphic View Post
    No, the socket design that ASUS uses is custom, as is the heatsink design. You could modify the heatsink potentially, but definitely not the socket design.
    I dont believe you can even modify heatsink to match standard MXM form factor gpu's. Core on asus GPUs after g73jh is placed to far off from where it is on standard MXM gpu's.
    PS. As for socket it is really standard MXM 3.0b socket, otherwise it could be impossible for me to upgrade my g73sw with both 680m and 770m from dell.
    Last edited by jmhdj; 12-17-2013 at 08:40 AM.

ROG Member Array

Hi people, this is my first message on the forum. I've read many post over upgrading gpu card and this thread gives me confidence. I've a g53sx and I want to try to upgrade gpu and if it work I'll make a guide for who everyone is interested in doing that mod.
    Since buying a new gpu is a big purchase, I hope in your help.
    The problems I think to encounter are the heasink, the space in the chassis, the vbios and the power of the charger. I'm not afraid to get dirty modding the chassis and for the heatsink a possible solution is the g73jh heatsink. my worst problem (after the money for buy the card) is the vbios if the card don't be recognized.
    jmhdj, I read you have successfully upgraded 2 g73sw, am I right? Have you made the vbios yourself? can you send me a pm?

If you go for 770m then original 150 watt charger is enough. Yes I did mod my own vbioses. Biggest obstacle is heatsink I think. I dont think you can use g73jh gpu heatsink as its heatpipes has different route than that of g53sx. Without proper cooling on gpu there is no working mod.
    My suggestion is sell laptop and invest some more money and get something upgradeable if thats your route for future.

ROG Member Array

thanks for the answer, honestly I had in mind to change my laptop and I have already set my sights on a SANTECH N87 (clevo assembled in italy). But now reading some forums I have thinked to mod my g53 if it's possible.
    I don't understand how the vbios works and the why of changing it... it is connected to the bios in the asus G series? If I take a 770m, what brand do you recommend?
    These days I have to disassembly my g53 to change the dc socket and I can take measures and I want to take the decision if try to mod or not.

Yes vbios needs neccesary callbacks from system bios for gpu to work properly. All other manufactors use one (read MXM) standard but asus has its own way of implementing vbios to system bios thus making cards from other vendors not been recognised properly and laptop wont boot inside OS in 99% of cases.
    But in your case foremost important is to find way to adopt heatsink to standard size MXM 3.0b type gpu.

Or you can buy my asus G73Sw with 680m its unique as nobody else has one like in whole world.

ROG Member Array

If I have understood correctly, the bios on the graphic card needs to be flashed, while the bios on the mainboard remains untouched, is it right?
    how can I flash the vbios if the OS dosen't boot? due to your experience in the G-series field, can you make the vbios for me if I take the road of modding? (your work will be rewarded)
    About the board and heatsink: I'm oriented to 770m, so what board should I get? Dell-alienware?
    for the heatsink I get another g53 heatsink and one of a g53jh and try to mod them with all things are necessary, blowtorch included

About the offer of your g73, sure it is unique and an artwork, but unfortunately I need a 15" laptop, the 17 is too big for me..however I appreciate the offer thanks

I will be glad to help you. Recommend ing Dell gpu's as I have tested 3 different gpu from them and neither has trouble with fans on max throttle otherwise I dont se reason why others vendors should not work to.
    If/when you have make heatsink mod properly and install gpu you will be able to but laptop with message: ERROR: Valid MXM Structure not found or invalid. POST will be halted for 30 Seconds.
    But you would be able to boot to DOS after 30 seconds from there it is easy to flash any vbios to new gpu with nvflash. And in Your case I am pretty sure there is no need to mod system bios.

As for my g73sw with 680m I was just bragging
    If you go through with Your mod then you will have unique machine to as nobody else upgraded g53 series if we dont count couple of guys that have upgraded their g53jw from 460m to asus 560m from g53sx.

ROG Member Array

thanks jmhdj, your help will be essential. I'm good enough at assemble, replacing, inserting, removing, cutting, soldering; I also know how to break or simply damage with some experience in burn or explode...but programming vbios...no, programming is not my field
    However I have found a cheap used g73jh heatsink on ebay from USA seller, but I'm going crazy looking for a gtx 770m from europe (from USA is too expensive due to import taxes); it's more simply to find a 680m...where have you taken your 770m? do you have any advice on the shop? china can be a possible resource, but I don't know where to find it. thanks in advance for your time.

p.s.: how many posts are nedeed to use private messages?

ROG Member Array

There is an official Dell's parts shop in europe?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast