cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

URGENT HELP NEEDED ! Almost going to get a G750JX !

rajeshtechfreak
Level 7
I want to game a lot !
And i have no problems with the price and specs of the JX . Absolutely love it.
I'll be using it for college as well ..
My question is will I be able to take it to college like 3-4 times a week ?
I travel by 2 wheeler and the tables are large so thats not a problem !

Should I go for this RIG thats worth every penny for the Specs or should i just buy a 15.6" laptop like Lenovo Y510 ??
Is portability really an issue with this ?
I heard its not as bulky as a Alienware 17 !

Please help me out guys !
Do you guys face any difficulty in carrying your RIG around ?
19 REPLIES 19

hmscott
Level 12
rajeshtechfreak wrote:
I want to game a lot !
And i have no problems with the price and specs of the JX . Absolutely love it.
I'll be using it for college as well ..
My question is will I be able to take it to college like 3-4 times a week ?
I travel by 2 wheeler and the tables are large so thats not a problem !

Should I go for this RIG thats worth every penny for the Specs or should i just buy a 15.6" laptop like Lenovo Y510 ??
Is portability really an issue with this ?
I heard its not as bulky as a Alienware 17 !

Please help me out guys !
Do you guys face any difficulty in carrying your RIG around ?

rajeshtechfreak, these G750's are *not* light 🙂

I usually take my G750JH to work everyday - along with a Macbook Pro and the power adapters for both, using this laptop bag:

http://www.oakley.com/products/kitchen-sink-backpack

There is no way I would be able to carry the G750 and books / etc for school on a 2 wheeler. There is just too much weight. You might be able to do it in perfect conditions, but in any bike related quick action - the weight would take you down - and probably damage the laptop, the bike, or you...

If you are motorcycling, I have done it by hooking the straps around a back sissy bar / headrest - but then again you would need a heavy bike with a full frame to take that much added weight up high - it is dead weight not like an extra rider than can move to compensate for lean angle.

I would get a very light laptop for traveling to school, like a Macbook Air - the iPad Air is nice with a keyboard, but still not full featured enough to work without compromise like a full laptop.

Even an inexpensive light Windows laptop, and I mean full Windows using Intel, so you have compatibility / shared software licenses with the G750. You wouldn't need a discrete GPU in it for gaming, your only concern would be to pick one that is easy to read/write on (screen/keyboard quality important) for school.

These days I am just taking in the Macbook Pro - moving from the G750JW, to the JX, and now the JH really has been a constant weight increase.. I am happy with the G750JH, and would carry it every day joyfully, but joyfully I don't have to right now.

So, buy 2 laptops, it is the only way to get the school/work/play features covered. 🙂

hmscott wrote:
rajeshtechfreak, these G750's are *not* light 🙂

I usually take my G750JH to work everyday - along with a Macbook Pro and the power adapters for both, using this laptop bag:

http://www.oakley.com/products/kitchen-sink-backpack

There is no way I would be able to carry the G750 and books / etc for school on a 2 wheeler. There is just too much weight. You might be able to do it in perfect conditions, but in any bike related quick action - the weight would take you down - and probably damage the laptop, the bike, or you...

If you are motorcycling, I have done it by hooking the straps around a back sissy bar / headrest - but then again you would need a heavy bike with a full frame to take that much added weight up high - it is dead weight not like an extra rider than can move to compensate for lean angle.

I would get a very light laptop for traveling to school, like a Macbook Air - the iPad Air is nice with a keyboard, but still not full featured enough to work without compromise like a full laptop.

Even an inexpensive light Windows laptop, and I mean full Windows using Intel, so you have compatibility / shared software licenses with the G750. You wouldn't need a discrete GPU in it for gaming, your only concern would be to pick one that is easy to read/write on (screen/keyboard quality important) for school.

These days I am just taking in the Macbook Pro - moving from the G750JW, to the JX, and now the JH really has been a constant weight increase.. I am happy with the G750JH, and would carry it every day joyfully, but joyfully I don't have to right now.

So, buy 2 laptops, it is the only way to get the school/work/play features covered. 🙂

Thanks a lot for that detailed reply brother .
But right now I can't afford to buy two laptops . I can buy only one .
I can't buy a desktop and laptop either due to my home and other personal issues .

I'm doing my Engineering now ! I'm in the first year right now !
It will be good if all my work is on a single device . If it was a mobile device like iOS then my work would be synced across all devices but that s not the case with the laptop and the lot of different softwares on it ..
Is it possible to carry it on your backpack while walking ?
In my city you get the ROG Backpack free with the laptop ?
I'm still shocked how you manage to carry two laptops at a time !
The lenovo laptop Y510 is my only alternative but that has poor gaming performance !

rajeshtechfreak wrote:
Thanks a lot for that detailed reply brother .
But right now I can't afford to buy two laptops . I can buy only one .
I can't buy a desktop and laptop either due to my home and other personal issues .
I'm doing my Engineering now ! I'm in the first year right now !
It will be good if all my work is on a single device . If it was a mobile device like iOS then my work would be synced across all devices but that s not the case with the laptop and the lot of different softwares on it ..
Is it possible to carry it on your backpack while walking ?
In my city you get the ROG Backpack free with the laptop ?
I'm still shocked how you manage to carry two laptops at a time !
The lenovo laptop Y510 is my only alternative but that has poor gaming performance !

Well, then move closer to school, that is what I did.

After I lived on campus the first year, I walked onto campus in less than a minute for another a year, and was within 5 minutes the rest of the time. You want to be a part of school, not "go to school". 🙂

Screw the small laptop then, get the G750JX and build muscle!

I forgot to mention in the bag I have a large water bottle, an iPad Air, a blow torch, 2 pairs of glasses, a laptop lock, monitor cables, adapters, ethernet cable, flash light, and who knows what dragging the bottom of the bag. Oh yeah, a wireless Logitech PC keyboard and a Macintosh BT Wireless keyboard + Magic Mouse. And the iPad Air is in a Logitech keyboard case (Red WP Cloth). And, I carry it all up stairs to get to work...

The ROG bag is very nice and solid, but there is *zero* room in there for anything else. There isn't even room for the power adapter, at least in the yellow/gold one I saw.

What ever backpack you get, spend extra $ and get one with strong straps. I have have had several fail with a rolled/collapsed shoulder strap. Still looks new, but useless for weighty laptops / loads.

Actually, I just checked, I swapped the butane torch for a cleanDR AirBlaster CO2 unit. 🙂

Wow! That's a lot of gadgets in a backpack 😄
Nice ! 😄
Do you feel an iPad is useless for someone who has a good laptop ? I was thinking of buying that as well !

rajeshtechfreak wrote:
Wow! That's a lot of gadgets in a backpack 😄
Nice ! 😄
Do you feel an iPad is useless for someone who has a good laptop ? I was thinking of buying that as well !

Who wants to lay back with a laptop resting on their chest... especially a G750 🙂

The ipad Air is better, but without a pointing device independent of the touch screen there is a lot of keyboard screen touch keyboard screen touch, etc. The interface needs to grow some more. A touch device on the BT keyboard would be nice. Out of the case it is too cold in winter - that darned metal back... still it is tough to be without an Apple iOS device.

Android is about the same, I love the Xperia Z Ultra, a nice sized tablet that makes calls.

Nothing is great yet, but with all of them, there is almost always something that fits the task. Keep an open mind and learn them all...

Let us know what you end up picking 🙂

hmscott wrote:
Who wants to lay back with a laptop resting on their chest... especially a G750 🙂

The ipad Air is better, but without a pointing device independent of the touch screen there is a lot of keyboard screen touch keyboard screen touch, etc. The interface needs to grow some more. A touch device on the BT keyboard would be nice. Out of the case it is too cold in winter - that darned metal back... still it is tough to be without an Apple iOS device.

Android is about the same, I love the Xperia Z Ultra, a nice sized tablet that makes calls.

Nothing is great yet, but with all of them, there is almost always something that fits the task. Keep an open mind and learn them all...

Let us know what you end up picking 🙂

Sure will post what i pick here ! 🙂

Is this laptop heavier than a m17x ? My friend gets his m17 to college often and doesnt seem to face any problem !
I'm very worried . The place where i live there is no display of this laptop in the showroom 😕

Its an hard to let go offer.. it will cater to all my needs .. the only thing is the battery .. i need to decide in a day or two

rajeshtechfreak wrote:
Sure will post what i pick here ! 🙂

Is this laptop heavier than a m17x ? My friend gets his m17 to college often and doesnt seem to face any problem !
I'm very worried . The place where i live there is no display of this laptop in the showroom 😕

Its an hard to let go offer.. it will cater to all my needs .. the only thing is the battery .. i need to decide in a day or two

What about the battery? Buy a couple of extra when Asus releases them in mid - January. I got about 3 hours of use out of 1 battery on my JX, I haven't tested the battery usage on the JH yet.

Weights according to Asus specs
JX: 10.6 lbs (with 8 cell battery)
JH: 10.5 lbs
JW: 10.6 lbs

The Alienware M17x R3's weight is about 5.3kg, which equals 11.68 pounds. <== yahoo answers

hmscott wrote:
What about the battery? Buy a couple of extra when Asus releases them in mid - January. I got about 3 hours of use out of 1 battery on my JX, I haven't tested the battery usage on the JH yet.

Weights according to Asus specs
JX: 10.6 lbs (with 8 cell battery)
JH: 10.5 lbs
JW: 10.6 lbs

The Alienware M17x R3's weight is about 5.3kg, which equals 11.68 pounds. <== yahoo answers

Sorry I was gonna type Portability .. In a hurry i put it as battery 😕 my bad !
Portability is the only thing holding me back

rajeshtechfreak wrote:
Sorry I was gonna type Portability .. In a hurry i put it as battery 😕 my bad !
Portability is the only thing holding me back

rajeshtechfreak, the G750 is more portable than a m17, and more portable than a m18...

You need to find somewhere to drive to to pick it up and put it in a backpack to decide for yourself. What city are you in? Bestbuy, Microcenter, and Fry's normally have one on display, or can get one in, call around and see if you can find someone that keeps them in stock.