cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual SLI sound static problems

vexxy
Level 7
Hey guys,

I've recently built a new rig and to my surpise, I have the SLI sound static problem. This problem occurs ONLY when I play games that are using both video cards (dual SLI). I've tested the following: Guild Wars 2, Battlefield 4 and The Secret World (the games I currently play that are using SLI). I've did alot of research, seems like alot of people had this problem in the past. Before going further, let me give you my curent spec:

CPU: Intel 4930k
RAM: 32GB
Video Cards: 2 x EVGA SC 780 Ti
Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
MB Bios version: 4310
Sound Card: X-FI Titanium HD (PCIe)

The video cards are placed on the 1st and 4th PCIe slots (x16) while the X-FI sound card is placed on the last bottom slot (x8), which is exactly under the second video card. I tried moving the X-FI card on the other free PCIe slots, the problem persisted. I've used a bunch of X-FI drivers from the official beta drivers, normal drivers (latest release) and the PAX drivers...no success. Basically, the only thing I haven't tried is to upgrade the MB Bios to the latest version, which is 4701 if I'm not mistaken.

The sound static is present ONLY when I'm playing those games and it seems it's scalling based on the on-screen graphics/randering. If I move my in-game character in a crowded area and the video cards start pumping more fuel, the static gets louder/more frequent.

Long story short, I'm a bit desperate here, I have no idea what to do, I did alot of research for the past week and everything I tried (except the BIOS update) failed.

HELP!
9 REPLIES 9

HiVizMan
Level 40
May I ask if you are following the SLI card layout as per the guide in the user manual?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

vexxy
Level 7
yes, the cards are positioned exactly as specified in the manual

kkn
Level 14
the soundcard is it 1x or 4x pcie slot on it??
if so put it in one of the smal black pcie slots and not in the red ones.

vexxy
Level 7
the card is currently in the last PCIe slot (the black one..8x). I've also tried to place it on the red ones, with the same result

HiVizMan
Level 40
Thank you.

Are you OC'ing your graphic cards at all?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Thank you.

Are you OC'ing your graphic cards at all?

nop, I haven't done any OC on the cards, however, keep in mind that the EVGA cards are the SC version (superclocked)

Raja@ASUS wrote:
A few possibilities in this one as there are a number of possible noise sources. Anything from PSU related noise (which should actually be dealt with by the low pass filtering on the soundcard and decoupling), to environmental noise pick up which really comes down to shielding and trace layout of the card etc.

I'm not sure I understand the part with the low pass filtering and decoupling but to my knowledge (maybe i'm wrong), the Titanium HD should have a more advanced shielding than the "normal

Raja@ASUS wrote:
1) RFI/EMI being picked up. Try rerouting cabling away from noise sources. Cross any associated to the GPUS and soundcard power cables at 90 degrees if they must pass each other (don't parallel them).

I did that, all the cables are at 90 degrees and every cable inside the case (it's a Corsair 800D) it's routed trough the back of the MB/case.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
2) Make sure you are using the AUX 12V connector to supplement PCIe power. I suggest this not because you need "more power" as much as it makes sense to supply current to the devices closer to the source rather than from the 12V ATX on the other side of the board (power plane noise pick up etc.).

I quite didn't get this one either, you mean to provide more power to the mb by using the AUX12V? I think i did that but I'll recheck as soon as I reply this message.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
3) IF the card has its own power input, try using a different PSU loom to supply it (no fans on same line etc.)

It doesn't, but i'll recheck to be sure

Raja@ASUS wrote:
4) The PSU used may have an impact on noise as well. Tricky one this, as replacing a PSU for experimental sake is not cost friendly.

Unfortunately, getting a new PSU is beyond my reach atm, but I have to specify that the current PSU is a Corsair A1200i.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
5) Not really a cure but try using a mic that needs less gain from the card. Again, depends where the noise is coming from.

I'm on studio monitor speakers and I'm using the RCA stereo output from the sound card (main reason I got the Titanium in the first place). Also, I have to specify that the same sound card was present on my previous PC and had no problems whatsoever (same speaker setup but no SLI).

Thanks alot for all your help and hints.

Raja
Level 13
A few possibilities in this one as there are a number of possible noise sources. Anything from PSU related noise (which should actually be dealt with by the low pass filtering on the soundcard and decoupling), to environmental noise pick up which really comes down to shielding and trace layout of the card etc.

1) RFI/EMI being picked up. Try rerouting cabling away from noise sources. Cross any associated to the GPUS and soundcard power cables at 90 degrees if they must pass each other (don't parallel them).

2) Make sure you are using the AUX 12V connector to supplement PCIe power. I suggest this not because you need "more power" as much as it makes sense to supply current to the devices closer to the source rather than from the 12V ATX on the other side of the board (power plane noise pick up etc.).

3) IF the card has its own power input, try using a different PSU loom to supply it (no fans on same line etc.)

4) The PSU used may have an impact on noise as well. Tricky one this, as replacing a PSU for experimental sake is not cost friendly.

5) Not really a cure but try using a mic that needs less gain from the card. Again, depends where the noise is coming from.

vexxy
Level 7
ok, one more update, i've enabled both 8 pin and 4 pin power connectors on the mb, the problem persists and it seems like the static sounds are a bit louder now (maybe it's just an impression). Also, i've disabled SLI again and to my suprise, the problem persisted even with SLI disabled (from the nVidia CP not physically). wow, this is more annoying that I initially thought...

vexxy wrote:
ok, one more update, i've enabled both 8 pin and 4 pin power connectors on the mb, the problem persists and it seems like the static sounds are a bit louder now (maybe it's just an impression). Also, i've disabled SLI again and to my suprise, the problem persisted even with SLI disabled (from the nVidia CP not physically). wow, this is more annoying that I initially thought...

Definitely sounds like a power problem now.

Just curious, but are you running a UPS for your computer?

Are you in the US? If so, are you using any 2 to 3 pin 'cheater' power adapters?

Have you tried a different outlet?

Does your home have proper grounding?

Do you have any other sound systems in your home that are showing the same symptoms?

The Titanium's noise reduction is supposed to filter out the typical noise associated with normal use. It does not help with anything beyond the normal every day levels. (Excellent sound card btw, been using one in my build for quite some time 🙂 )
USA ASUS Reseller
http://www.neteffectspc.com