cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About 75% of my programs installed on the 840 EVO ; now must update Windows & ASUS

spanishflyer
Level 7
Just a short couple of questions,

Now that I have installed most of my original programs (except MS OFFICE 2007...) I want to allow Windows 7 64 bit to update to its latest configuration and updates and also enter ASUSTech and download the latest drivers available: have made a full backup just in case something goes wrong, but have two doubts:

1).- Should I start by updating Windows first or get the latest ASUS drivers and the update WIndows?

2).- How do I know which G75VW updated drivers I will definitely need and which might cause a problem with my new Samsung 840 EVO 750 GB?

This is the full description of my laptop: Asus G75VW-DS73-3D i7 3GB NVIDIA GTX 670M 17.3" 3D, with 12 GB and two 750GB @ 7200rpm (of course, right now I only have the one SSD, but I plan on reinstalling one of the 750 HDD's to add more room...)

Just one quick note, I purchased the unit in July 2012, so I guess any earlier updates, say from about 2 months earlier, I guess they were already implemented by ASUS, and in that case there are very few updates needed, taking into account that I already have the 223 Bios and the latest NVIDIA drivers...

Best regards,

Spanish Flyer
10 REPLIES 10

rewben
Level 13
hi @spanishflyer,

1) my preference is install official drivers first then perform windows updates.

2) the minimal set of drivers that you need is:

• Intel Chipset Driver
  • Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver (contains intel-developed ahci driver for ssd)
  • Intel USB 3.0 Driver
  • Intel Management Engine Interface (you can leave this as Windows Update will install one for you)
  • NVidia GeForce Drivers (the first choice is always the latest one from geforce.com; choose the notebook version. if that failed, find the latest at ASUS)
  • Audio Driver
  • LAN Driver
  • WLAN Driver
  • Bluetooth Driver
  • Touchpad Driver
  • Multi-Card Reader Driver
  • ATK Package (for ASUS-related drivers, this is the first one to be installed first, before the rest of them)

afaik, drivers at asus support website never caused me any issue to new hardware.

by comparing the version number with what you have, you should know which one to get.

GottiBoi55
Level 10
You should run Windows update first, get all the latest security updates.(my preference)

Then these apps, and drives next.
All these should keep your system running smoothly.
(update all in this order, this is the order the driver disk runs them)

1. Chipset driver
2. Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver
3. Intel Management Engine Interface
4. Audio (VIA)
5. LAN
6. USB 3.0 Driver
7. Wireless Lan Driver
8. BlueTooth
9. Card Reader
10. Touch Pad
11. Keyboard Device Filter Utility
12. ATK-Package/ATKACPI driver and hotkey-related utilities
13. Life Frame3 Utility (Camera Utility)
Power4Gear Hybrid Utility (Asus Power Plans)
15. ASUS Wireless Switch (Wireless Console3) Utility (ATK Related)
16. ASUS USB Charger Plus (Fast charge utility)
17. Instant On (Hyper sleep utility) Very good IMHO

PS: All the other Asus apps are not really need, like splendid utility, and the Asus update.
(Asus update has a known issue with "auto updating the BIOS" leading to many bricked systems)
I would remove all the bloatware, if you installed any of them!
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

rewben
Level 13
@GottiBoi55, you missed the gpu driver 😄

right it doesn't matter how you install them (i prefer drivers first because i just wanna make sure LAN/WiFi connectivities are ready for all Internet-related activities)

rewben wrote:
@GottiBoi55, you missed the gpu driver 😄

right it doesn't matter how you install them (i prefer drivers first because i just wanna make sure LAN/WiFi connectivities are ready for all Internet-related activities)

Opps, my bad!
yes you are right, doesn't really mater.
Per the Asus e-driver utility the GPU should be second on the list.
I'm just listing the order of installing drivers, and utilities per the Asus e-driver utility installs them.
Don't really know if that makes any deference, but I guess Asus installs them in that order for a reason.

but what ever works best!
GottiBoi55
Asus
Samsung
SanDisk
p Aquos 32"

spanishflyer
Level 7
AS USUAL, Many thanks to both.

I have just started checking and got stuck in the first item, the Chipset driver; The driver I have is 10.0.0.1032 while the downloaded is 9.3.0.1020, which seems a much earlier version, but looking at the dates, the one I have says 11.29.2011 while the downloaded is from 01.16.2012...

How can that be??? I include a pic of both versions....

Regards,

Spanish Flyer

spanishflyer wrote:
AS USUAL, Many thanks to both.

I have just started checking and got stuck in the first item, the Chipset driver; The driver I have is 10.0.0.1032 while the downloaded is 9.3.0.1020, which seems a much earlier version, but looking at the dates, the one I have says 11.29.2011 while the downloaded is from 01.16.2012...

How can that be??? I include a pic of both versions....

Regards,

Spanish Flyer

All the versions on the Asus driver download page have been tested, and approved by Asus for your laptop.
They are older versions, but there modified per Asus for each laptop to run more smoothly.
And yes, Asus is a little slow (maybe a lot slow) in putting out newer approved versions.
But the Asus approved versions are not always the best, you can test some newer ones from the manufactures and see what gives you better results.

PS: That's pretty much the reason why the drivers are older on the Asus download page.
GottiBoi55
Asus
Samsung
SanDisk
p Aquos 32"

Ok, I guess I'm just about done;
I updated the Windows 7 first and then followed your suggestions on what to update first.

I have even managed th restore my Office 2007 thanks to Acronis Backup and a little program that searches for program regisrtries and licences.

But what is most important, I couldn't have reached this condition without you guys, so thanks a TON.

Regarding the extra 4GB RAM memory I purchased from Crucial, they reassured me that it was 100% compatible, but looks like it is not true... I will tell you when I get it next week. In the worst situation I just make a necklace for my wife with it 😉

Best regards and Merry Christmas from sunny Spain, where it only rains like in Seattle...

Spanish Flyer

rewben
Level 13
that's ahci driver (part of Intel Rapid Storage Technology, or RST, driver), not intel chipset driver.

rewben
Level 13
nice 🙂