cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UEFI GOP on ASUS r9 280x direct cuII top

CallMeHarry
Level 7
Hello,

I want to setup my system for ultra fast boot, but I think my videocard (an ASUS r9 280x direct cuII top) doesn't have an UEFI bios. From what I understand the 7000 series does have a BIOS update to provide for UEFI GOP support, but the r9 280x hasn't received this update yet. Or perhaps the MATRIX has UEFI support, but the direct cuII top doesn't have that (yet).

Am I correct in that assumption? Or does my card have UEFI support?
And if it doesn't, is there any word on when/if the r9 series will be updated with an UEFI GOP bios?

Thanks in advance.
6 REPLIES 6

HiVizMan
Level 40
I do not have that card, but since it is less than two months old I would reasonably expect it to have UEFI compatibility. All I can suggest right now is that you try it your self. If the process starts and works then all good. If not you have not damaged anything or caused any harm, a simple Clear CMOS would set your system back to factory defaults in any case.

I will try and find out for you.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

CallMeHarry
Level 7
Thanks for your reply.

I configured my BIOS for ultra fast mode, set the graphics card to EFI and disabled CSM.
So everything sould be set for UEFI booting, however I don't think the system boots that much faster. (Mind you it's fast enough, but I am curious if I am booting in UEFI/ultra fast boot mode)

Windows also warned me that secure boot is disabled. I installed an update from microsoft which removes this warning some time ago, but it's an indication that something isn't right in the whole UEFI/ultra fast boot story. I have to leave now, but I will play a bit with the secure boot options in the BIOS tommorow to see if that changes anything (and post the results ofcourse)

CallMeHarry
Level 7
Allright, so a small update: my secure boot is enabled in the bios. Running msinfo32 I can see that my BIOS mode is UEFI. So that is going great. I suppose the graphics card is UEFI GOP compatible.

However, I installed my OS in BIOS/legacy mode. I might have to do a clean install (and even disconnect my normal hard drive) to get the maximum performance and let windows boot with secure boot.

Praz
Level 13
The 280X is UEFI compatible out of the box.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Cheers for the update keep us informed how it all turns out.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

CallMeHarry
Level 7
Thanks for the confirmation Praz.

@HiVizMan: secureboot is disabled according to my msinfo32, so I am not quite there yet. I need to do a complete reinstall of my system I suppose, but I haven't really got the time for it. Looks like I need a UEFI bootable USB drive as well, which might be tricky considering I have an upgrade version of windows.

I will keep this thread updated, however it might take a long time before I get around to reinstalling windows etc.