ROG Guru: Green Belt Array

Where have all the the Radeon R9 290X graphics cards gone?

from Maximum PC Mag

Quote;

AMD threw down the gauntlet when it introduced its Radeon R9 290X graphics card. Its aggressive price point in relation to performance (bang-for-buck, in other words) impressed us most, and apparently it's a big selling point among Bitcoin miners. If you're not familiar, Bitcoin is a virtual currency that's surging in value and Bitcoin mining is a resource intensive task that involves adding transaction records to Bitcoin's public ledger of past transactions.

We could devote an article to virtual currencies and their various nuances, but the point here is that virtual coin miners seem to have gobbled up most of the available Radeon R9 290X graphics cards, according to Bright Side of News. The process of mining can be done on Nvidia hardware as well, though AMD's GPUs are a little better at it. Combined with the bang-for-buck performance of the R9 290X, it makes sense that miners hoping to score it big would flock to these cards.

It's not just Bitcoins, either. Litecoin and Worldcoin are two other virtual currencies attracting so-called miners, especially since they're both newer and easier to harvest at this point compared to Bitcoin.

We did a search around the web and had trouble finding a Radeon R9 290X video cards in stock last night. This morning we were able to track down a Sapphire Radeon R9 290x in stock at Newegg, but it has since vanished too. Everywhere we look, AMD's top-end part is out of stock or on backorder, including places like NCIX, TigerDirect (the one that's available to purchase says it usually ships in 7-21 business days), B&H Photo, and Provantage. Amazon has some SKUs in stock, though only through third-party sellers with inflated price tags.

ROG 師傅 Array Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Laptop?...No way! (Model?...Jun Amaki...yes way!)
    MotherboardROG ZENITH EXTREME
    ProcessorTHREADRIPPER 1920X
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C14Q-32GVK
    Graphics Card #1GTX Titan X
    Graphics Card #2SLI is dead to me
    Graphics Card #3Tri SLI is even dead to Nvidia
    Graphics Card #4Quad SLI is dead to everybody especially my credit card
    Sound CardXonar Essence STX
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 950 PRO
    Storage #22x OCZ VERTEX 3/2x WD Caviar Black 500GB / 2x WD RED 2TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop: Dual D5s, Dual Alphacool Monsta 480s, XSPC Raystorm Neo TR4, EK TitanX WaterBlock
    CaseNope!...Phobya Bench...let it all hang out man!
    Power SupplySeasonic SS-1200XP3
    Keyboard Logitech G810 or Fender Rhodes Electric Piano (MKI 73)
    Mouse G502 or Speedy Gonzalez...not Mickey...don't do Disney!
    Headset ...firmly on neck
    Mouse Pad Mouse don't got his own pad man...lives with me
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Spinnaker...or you mean the speakers in my head...man too many voices to name them all
    OS Win XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 Spyware Edition
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #1 Umm...nice tie?
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?
    Accessory #3 3 accessories?! I'm not a girl!!

Interesting 01...

Hmm, if I were unscrupulous I would start a virtual currency....mine one third of it before publishing it of course....use peoples gullibility to fuel interest in it and when price of said coin temporarily increases flog the third I already had mined and laugh as it all collapses later....
    Since anyone can do it and soon everyone will be doing it they are of course worthless...but temporarily if you get in and get out quick enough maybe you'll recoup the cost of those 290s....maybe not...

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array

Totally agree Arne

It is old adage if it is too good to be true.....................

Quote Originally Posted by Arne Saknussemm View Post
    Interesting 01...

Hmm, if I were unscrupulous I would start a virtual currency....mine one third of it before publishing it of course....use peoples gullibility to fuel interest in it and when price of said coin temporarily increases flog the third I already had mined and laugh as it all collapses later....
    Since anyone can do it and soon everyone will be doing it they are of course worthless...but temporarily if you get in and get out quick enough maybe you'll recoup the cost of those 290s....maybe not...
    I couldn"t of said it any better

imMortal Kombatant Array Myk SilentShadow PC Specs
    Myk SilentShadow PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Rampage IV Formula
    ProcessorIntel i7 3930K
    Memory (part number)8GB Corsair XMS3 1600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Radeon 7970 3GD5
    Sound CardROG Xonar Phoebus
    MonitorSamsung SyncMaster SA300
    Storage #1Corsair Neutron 128GB
    Storage #2Seagate 2TB
    CPU CoolerCorsair A50 Pro Air Cooler
    CaseBitFenix Merc Alpha
    Power SupplyThermaltake Litepower 700W
    Keyboard Alienware TactX Keyboard
    Mouse Tesoro Gandiva H1L
    OS Win7 Ultimate x64

While you may have been right in years past Arne, you're off the mark now as more companies are slowly starting to accept BC's, oh and the fact that Wall Street now wants in on the action too. The demand for the coins drives the prices up and yes, the price will crash again...but, it will rise again soon enough....right now the value of BC's is floating between $900 and $1K USD

ROG 師傅 Array Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Laptop?...No way! (Model?...Jun Amaki...yes way!)
    MotherboardROG ZENITH EXTREME
    ProcessorTHREADRIPPER 1920X
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C14Q-32GVK
    Graphics Card #1GTX Titan X
    Graphics Card #2SLI is dead to me
    Graphics Card #3Tri SLI is even dead to Nvidia
    Graphics Card #4Quad SLI is dead to everybody especially my credit card
    Sound CardXonar Essence STX
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 950 PRO
    Storage #22x OCZ VERTEX 3/2x WD Caviar Black 500GB / 2x WD RED 2TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop: Dual D5s, Dual Alphacool Monsta 480s, XSPC Raystorm Neo TR4, EK TitanX WaterBlock
    CaseNope!...Phobya Bench...let it all hang out man!
    Power SupplySeasonic SS-1200XP3
    Keyboard Logitech G810 or Fender Rhodes Electric Piano (MKI 73)
    Mouse G502 or Speedy Gonzalez...not Mickey...don't do Disney!
    Headset ...firmly on neck
    Mouse Pad Mouse don't got his own pad man...lives with me
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Spinnaker...or you mean the speakers in my head...man too many voices to name them all
    OS Win XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 Spyware Edition
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #1 Umm...nice tie?
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?
    Accessory #3 3 accessories?! I'm not a girl!!

On August 22nd Lehman Brothers stock price closed up 5% (16%) on the week.

On September 15th their share price was....well, not so good and the DJIA fell 500points

If you were in on the 22nd and out on the 23rd you made money...if you weren't you lost.

Bitcoin is just the same...in fact it should do well at the moment because a derivatives market it starting hehe and that always pulls the price of the commodity up....but well, we all know how stable the derivatives market is.

All these "investments" are great if you can afford to lose money or you're on the inside and making the trades before joe public...but all these things are zero sum games....for every win there is a loss and the smart/inside money wins and the dumb/outside money loses.

By the way....some might find this graph interesting http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-12-07/ghost-1929-re-appears-pay-attention-signals

Heh...this thread should be merged with the Bitcoin one in discussions....sorry 01 Wolverine
    Last edited by Arne Saknussemm; 12-14-2013 at 03:20 PM.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array maximiza PC Specs
    maximiza PC Specs
    MotherboardRAMPAGE IV
    Processor4960X
    Graphics Card #11080TI
    Graphics Card #21080TI

possesion is 90% of the law, if you have no internet or electricity the bitcoin/litcoin wealth is vaporized, gold and silver is a better bet or land to rent or grow food. If they can't tax it they will kill it somehow. on a side note If the us dollar looses world reserve currency status all bets are off, probably a bunker radiation proof... imho, yeah i been posting on zerohedge for years, i am bias also,,hahahahaha
    Intel Core i7 4960X
    G.Skill F3-12800CL10-8GBXL
    size: 64 GBytes
    RAVEN 03
    RAMPAGE IV EXTREME
    PHILIPS BDM4065
    Custom Cooling Loop
    1080TI (X2)
    WINDOWS 7 PRO & Windows 10 64 Pro
    SEASONIC SS-850KM ACTIVE PFC F3