cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just a warning, enabling 120Hz on the 3D screen murders battery life.

Flea0
Level 10
I was getting barely 2 hours out of my G750JX before realizing that twice the refresh rate is a major battery life killer, even when simply browsing the web. Just FYI.
ASUS G750JX -- i7-4700 - 16GB - 128GB 840 PRO SSD + 1TB HDD - Nvidia GTX 770M - 120Hz 3D glossy display
16 REPLIES 16

Nehmia
Level 9
ohhh thanks for letting me know I never thought of it

anyway, im never on battery but still good to know
ASUS G750JX-CV050H
CPU: i7-4700HQ @ 2.40 GHz.
Memory: 32 GB DDR3 1600 MHz. Hynix RAM
Graphics: GeForce GTX 770M 3 GB GDDR5 RAM
Storage: 256 GB LiteOn LCM-256M3S SSD + 1 TB Seagate Momentus ST1000LM024 5400 RPM HDD
Screen: 17.3" Full HD 3D Glossy Screen
Router: ASUS RT-AC68U
Security: Webroot SecureAnywhere Antivirus for PC Gamers

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Flea0 wrote:
I was getting barely 2 hours out of my G750JX before realizing that twice the refresh rate is a major battery life killer, even when simply browsing the web. Just FYI.

Would have thought that would be obvious, since the VGA has to work harder to push the 120Hz

Is there any way to improve this ? A fix or something ? 😕
Too Bad that it doesn't have Optimus as well 😞

rajeshtechfreak wrote:
Is there any way to improve this ? A fix or something ? 😕
Too Bad that it doesn't have Optimus as well 😞

I've had the "pleasure" of trying to play on my friend's optimus equipped asus notebook and it was a nightmare. try updating with non-OEM graphics drivers and suddenly it wants to run EVERY game with the integrated GPU.
ASUS G750JX -- i7-4700 - 16GB - 128GB 840 PRO SSD + 1TB HDD - Nvidia GTX 770M - 120Hz 3D glossy display

Flea0 wrote:
I've had the "pleasure" of trying to play on my friend's optimus equipped asus notebook and it was a nightmare. try updating with non-OEM graphics drivers and suddenly it wants to run EVERY game with the integrated GPU.

What's the battery runtime that you're getting ?
I was plannign to get this one .. But you said that it has problems doing simple tasks like browsing as well ..
Is the battery real bad like less than 3.5 hours on normal usage .. without gaming ?

Is it possible to switch to a lower Screen Refresh rate during normal usage ... ?
Like 60HZ or something ? Like you would do on a normal laptop switching between 50-60Hz !

Flea0 wrote:

Same experience here, that is why I am happy with the fixed discrete GTX video card in the G750, it just works - all the time - without that switching frustration.

Myk SilentShadow wrote:
Would have thought that would be obvious, since the VGA has to work harder to push the 120Hz

it's obvious that you'd get increased power draw but I wasn't expecting it to be THIS bad. it literally almost halves the battery life, even when browsing where scrolling is still very choppy if you set the CPU to power saving. I didn't think that rendering a mostly static image at twice the framerate would have as much impact as, say, the backlight.

kb0sdq
Level 10
Howdy folks,
Guess I missed out on the 120 hertz display dang it. thought I was getting it. Checked ,ine in settings it has 40 & 60 hertz options. Oh well next time.enjoy

Happy ROG_n

Doug