cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Ramdisk

netwalker
Level 7
Hi guys,

I have 32gig ram so I would like to make use of this program.

I have made a 16gb Ramdisk but my question is exactly what would I install to it?

A game or what?

Please advise for a newbie to such things.

Cheers...
Corsair Carbide Air 540 | AUSU Maximus VI Formula MB | i7 4770K | Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB 2133 @ 9-11-11-31 | EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC 3GB Sli | Corsair H100i CPU Cooler | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB Raid 0 | Samsung 840 EVO 750GB | ASUS ROG Xonar Phoebus Sound Card | Corsair AX1200i Power Supply | Win 8.1
17 REPLIES 17

TimDD
Level 7
I have 32gig ram so I would like to make use of this program.

I have made a 16gb Ramdisk but my question is exactly what would I install to it?

A game or what?

If you're looking to game on a ramdisk you should probably check out dimmdrive.com.

TimDD wrote:
If you're looking to game on a ramdisk you should probably check out dimmdrive.com.

Thanks but not looking to buy another program. already have Ramdisk.

Cheers...
Corsair Carbide Air 540 | AUSU Maximus VI Formula MB | i7 4770K | Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB 2133 @ 9-11-11-31 | EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC 3GB Sli | Corsair H100i CPU Cooler | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB Raid 0 | Samsung 840 EVO 750GB | ASUS ROG Xonar Phoebus Sound Card | Corsair AX1200i Power Supply | Win 8.1

CharFlo88
Level 7
not really sure on the ROG Ramdisk as I haven't really used it. I use the AMD Ramdisk software though. The RAM set aside for the Ramdisk and turns into some what of a virtual drive. you would have to enable the drive in your disk management console. from there, any game you want to install, you would just point to that drive that was created from the ramdisk. With the AMD Ramdisk it will save itself to an ISO file so that anything in the memory can be backed up. once the software starts up again it loads the ISO back into the memory and your stuff is back right where you left it.

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
You don't have to enable anything from the Management Console. With ROG RAMDisk, all you do is set the amount you want, choose a drive letter and hit ok. The drive is auto-enabled for you 🙂

Myk SilentShadow wrote:
You don't have to enable anything from the Management Console. With ROG RAMDisk, all you do is set the amount you want, choose a drive letter and hit ok. The drive is auto-enabled for you 🙂

But you need to load whatever you want as in a game or program to Ramdisk is the way I see it.

netwalker wrote:
But you need to load whatever you want as in a game or program to Ramdisk is the way I see it.

correct

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Yeah, Junction points...you do that with all RAM Disk software 🙂

Myk SilentShadow wrote:
Yeah, Junction points...you do that with all RAM Disk software 🙂

That is easier for me to digest... 🙂
A couple questions:
1) How many ROG RamDisks and what determines this generally? How may are allowable? I was under the impression, as many as needed...? and
2) How large for each disk (or just a single disk), used for a couple larger games, Witcher 3 and Rocksmith 2014? I have 32GB installed (Corsair 2400, not OC'd, with 28.5GB available). And of course any suggestions you may have as well.,

Oh, one final question (off topic and incorrect thread but I'm asking before I forget, sorry in advance). For the Max VII Hero Intel board with 4790K, and SLI reference 970's, which m.2 SSD will work as intended in the slot provided on board? I thought the list was very short. I will also include my system specs after this post
Thanks in advance, I appreciate your help.

PePeLePew
Level 7
Hi guys! can you help me?

I created a drive using RamDisk and installed a game on it. When I rebooted, the drive is gone but the allocated memory is still there. How can I make the drive visible? What did I do wrong?