cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating Graphic Driver on G53SW

Retired
Not applicable
Hi guys, I have an Asus G53SW and have been playing games like CoD Black Ops, Bad Company 2 and Crysis 2. I notice some lagging/stuttering whenever I play games like Black Ops or Dirt 3 on high settings. I'm not sure about what's causing the problem, but I was thinking maybe updating the graphic driver might improve the situation.

So I went to Nvidia's site and tried downloading the driver. But this is what it says:
"The manufacturer of this system requires that you download the driver for your GPU from their support site. The GeForce M series and GeForce Go series notebook GPUs use drivers that have been customized by the notebook manufacturers to support hot key functions, power management functions, lid close and suspend/resume behavior. NVIDIA has worked with some notebook manufacturers to provide notebook-specific driver updates, however, most notebook driver updates must come from the notebook manufacturer. Additionally, the desktop GeForce graphics drivers will not install on Geforce M series and Quadro M series notebook GPU's."

I went to ASUS' site but the latest graphic driver is 266. Nvidia has come up with 280 but it seems like I should only use graphic driver from ASUS? Has anyone of you updated your graphic driver and if you did, how did you do it?
1 REPLY 1

grungeboy2
Level 10
i always grab the updates off the nvidia site. seems like a long time ago they had a seperate driver, but i don't think they do anymore.

check out laptopvideo2go, they have modded inf files that might help you. i recently did a fresh install of windows 7 64-bit and the first thing i installed was the Nvidia driver 280.26. had no problems with it.

from 266 to 280 there have been a ton of updates for the fermi cards (i know there's been some major ones for the 560m as well).

try uninstalling the asus driver, restart, then try to install the nvidia one. from my experience the nvidia ones are where it's at.