ROG Enthusiast Array

Just got my new G750JW DB-71 and i have a few questions....

Hey guys i just got my new G750(just yesterday in fact) and after playing around with it for awhile i have a few questions on some things... First off is kind of an odd one, i noticed i do not have the ROG logo on the right side of my keyboard, nor do my indicator lights have any symbols by them to indicate what they indicate(though i can pretty much guess whats what). I am assuming that i may have just gotten a newer model that changed in appearance slightly? Second is i noticed the hard drive is split up into OS drive C and DATA drive D. Is their anyway to combine the two into one or is there a specific reason they are separate?
    I appreciate any help in answering these questions!

ROG Guru: Platinum Belt Array hmscott PC Specs
    hmscott PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G750JH-DB71 (legacy)
    MotherboardAsus G750JH Intel HM87
    ProcessorIntel i7-4700HQ XTU Cores 36x/35x/34x/34x Cache 36x -50mV undervolt
    Memory (part number)Hyundai Electronics HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB 1.35v DDR3L-1600MHz
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia 780m Asus GPU Tweak OC 932mhz/6300mhz
    Sound CardRealtek v6.0.1.7469 driver
    MonitorAUO B173HW02 V1 Custom Refresh 85hz
    Storage #1RAID0 2x M.2 SATA Crucial MX200 512GB CT500MX200SSD6
    Storage #2Crucial 512GB 2.5" MX200 CT500MX200SSD1
    Power Supply230w AC Power Adapter 19.5v
    Keyboard Logitech k400 Wireless KB/Trackpad
    Headset Sony MDR-XB500 Wired and Sennheiser RS-220 Wireless TOSLINK
    OS Windows 8.1 + 8 Linux VM's + Windows 10 Technical Preview
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC68U DLINK DIR-655

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Windschitl View Post
    Hey guys i just got my new G750(just yesterday in fact) and after playing around with it for awhile i have a few questions on some things... First off is kind of an odd one, i noticed i do not have the ROG logo on the right side of my keyboard, nor do my indicator lights have any symbols by them to indicate what they indicate(though i can pretty much guess whats what). I am assuming that i may have just gotten a newer model that changed in appearance slightly? Second is i noticed the hard drive is split up into OS drive C and DATA drive D. Is their anyway to combine the two into one or is there a specific reason they are separate?
    I appreciate any help in answering these questions!
    It sounds like your top plate skipped the silk screening process that lays down the indicator light icons / ROG label. I would send an email to Asus support and ask them what's up. I guess it isn't critical, but it is odd. Not user replaceable either.

Did you get the Intel / Nvidia stickers on the left / right of the keyboard?

You can combine the partitions, as long as there isn't a partition in between - on mine there was a 350MB recovery partition - but I backed up the recovery to a 16GB flash driver using Asus Backtracker and made a disk image backup using Macrium Reflect - so I can recover to the original Asus OEM WIndows installation should I have a disk problem - then I blew away the recovery partition and merged the 2 partitions.

Macrium Reflect
    http://www.macrium.com/personal.aspx

Asus Backtracker
    http://www.asus.com/supportonly/ASUS_Backtracker/

Here is what the partitions look like after combining (viewed in My Computer => Right click => Manage => Disk Management

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Windows 8.1 disk management interface G750JH partitions after combining.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	135.6 KB 
ID:	31156

ROG Enthusiast Array

Thanks hmscott! I will try what you said for the hard drive.
    Also i do have the Nvidia and Intel stickers on the left, but i also noticed something with the indicator lights, the first two lights are also on top of the keyboard where the icons would be...

hmscott PC Specs

Thanks hmscott! I will try what you said for the hard drive.
    Also i do have the Nvidia and Intel stickers on the left, but i also noticed something with the indicator lights, the first two lights are also on top of the keyboard where the icons would be...
    The 2 top leds are just under the icons on mine... also, what's up with those laser light LED's, right? Waking up and looking directly into their brightness isn't pleasant...

Also, I should mention that when I removed the 350MB partition between the 2 large partitions, I probably disabled recovery capability, so I might as well recover the other 3 recovery partition space, 21GB.

But, I still have free space left, and there is a chance the recovery F9 mode will work, so if I ever need recovery I can try it first before pulling out the Macrium recovery disk images, or the Asus Backtracker flash drive.

Once I fill up the remaining space I will reap the 21GB's
    Last edited by hmscott; 12-15-2013 at 09:53 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by hmscott View Post
    The 2 top leds are just under the icons on mine... also, what's up with those laser light LED's, right? Waking up and looking directly into their brightness isn't pleasant...

Also, I should mention that when I removed the 350MB partition between the 2 large partitions, I probably disabled recovery capability, so I might as well recover the other 3 recovery partition space, 21GB.

But, I still have free space left, and there is a chance the recovery F9 mode will work, so if I ever need recovery I can try it first before pulling out the Macrium recovery disk images, or the Asus Backtracker flash drive.

Once I fill up the remaining space I will reap the 21GB's
    Haha nice, and yeah they are pretty bright!
    But yeah after looking at some more stock pictures i think the first two lights i mentioned are the same as the ones under your icons. I just find it odd that the two stickers are there but the indicator icons and rog label are not... But really i dont mind missing them the indicator icons would be nice though... I did buy it from amazon, but i cant see how that would affect it any. Heres the exact one i purchased btw: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

hmscott PC Specs

Haha nice, and yeah they are pretty bright!
    But yeah after looking at some more stock pictures i think the first two lights i mentioned are the same as the ones under your icons. I just find it odd that the two stickers are there but the indicator icons and rog label are not... But really i dont mind missing them the indicator icons would be nice though... I did buy it from amazon, but i cant see how that would affect it any. Heres the exact one i purchased btw: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    The 2nd photo / image in that Amazon listing shows the icons... you should have them. At least Asus remember to include the CPU, GPU, and screen

There was a forum post about someone not wanting the silk screened Assassins Creed logo next to the ROG logo, perhaps you two can get together to swap top plates?
    Last edited by hmscott; 12-15-2013 at 10:15 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by hmscott View Post
    The 2nd photo / image in that Amazon listing shows the icons... you should have them. At least Asus remember to include the CPU, GPU, and screen

There was a forum post about someone not wanting the silk screened Assassins Creed logo next to the ROG logo, perhaps you two can get together to swap top plates?
    Haha yeah sure, i just sent an email to asus so we'll wee what they have to say. If its too much of a hassle to get it fixed then i thnk i can live without it :P