cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMD/ATI Super Build, with R9 290x Cooling Mods!

StayClassyROG
Level 7
Hello everyone! I'm currently in the process of waiting for my components to arrive from Amazon, but I wanted to post up my build, and as I start the build I will update the thread accordingly.

Components:

Silicon:
Sapphire Radeon R9 290x 4gb GDDR5
Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX Sata 6Gb/s
AMD FX-9590 8-Core Black Edition

Peripheral Accessories:
Corsair RM Series 850 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply
Western Digital 2 TB 3.5-Inch WD Se SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Enterprise Hard Drive
Crucial M500 240GB SATA SSD
Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB (4X4 GB) PC3-12800 1600mHz DDR3 240-Pin SDRAM Dual Channel Memory Kit
NZXT Phantom 820

Cooling:
NZXT PNZXT Kraken X60 280mm CPU Cooler
NZXT Kraken X40 140mm CPU Cooler
Sigma Cool MKII GPU Cooler Mount for Water Cooling AIO's
Enzotech MOS-C1 Heatsinks (20)
Arctic Silver CMQ2-25G Ceramique 2 Tri-Linear Thermal Compound
Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition Twin Pack

Breakdown:

This machine will be used for mainly editing photos and videos, but also for mining altcoins while browsing the internet. However, I will also be selling the completed build, if it meets my specifications for stability and power. Mind you, I am an Intel/NVidia aficionado, but I grew up with AMD and Radeon cards, so this is more of a return to my roots. The first and primary focus of this rig will be stability. I want this machine to run solid and maintenance free in the event that I sell it, as my name will thereby be attached to its quality from that point on. However, I also wanted a level of performance that will leave me satisfied.

Breakdown:

My choice in selecting the FX-9590 was mainly because of it being superior to most Intel i7's in its price bracket, and also because of the capabilities of this processor in terms of clock speed and rarity. Many people do i7 builds which I find great, but not too satisfying. However, tuning an AMD processor is more fun for me. I guess that I want to make a build that is extremely uncommon.

I chose the Asus motherboard for obvious reasons; you will not find a better motherboard anywhere else.

The Radeon R9 290X was chosen because of it being the current GPU king. However, thermal problems with these cards has left a dark shadow over ATI, something which I find disheartening. However, it now means that there is a current challenge of extracting the best results possible from these cards through altering the cooling, and I will explain my theory and blueprint for the upgrade later in this thread.

The PSU was selected simply because of it being a Corsair PSU that was rated with the 80Plus Gold badge, and also because of the flat cables and modular nature of the wiring.

This part here gave me a lot of grief in choice, but I decided on the Western Digital 2TB SE hard drive because of it being an Enterprise hard drive. It has 5 platters with a 7200RPM hard drive speed, dual processors for data thoroughput maintenance (stable file transfer rates), and most of all, the StableTrac technology that WD has. I have plenty of experience with Hard Drives, as I am a DJ who burns through them at alarming rates due to things like head crashing, and vibration. But most of all, the data that I will be storing on this drive is extremely sensitive, and I need a drive that will function at peak ability for years to come.

As for my selection with my SSD, the Corsair M500 was a no brainer. First off, I don't care about what the fastest SSD is. Many builders and newbie computer guys want to be the "fastest" and then wonder why they have stability issues. The Corsair M500 is probably the best SSD on the market when you look at the sum of its parts. First off, the drive has capacitors that allow the drive to finish writing data from the cache to the drive in case you have a power failure, or a sudden shutdown. Secondly, it is the only drive with the kind of NAND maintenance that ensures that a dirty SSD doesn't lose speed. That alone puts it miles ahead of other drives. It also supports Bitlocker Encryption/Decryption on a hardware level, to prevent encryption from slowing down file transfer rates.

I chose the Corsair Vengeance Blue 16gb, but in 4 stick flavor simply because in my old workstation, 4 sticks of RAM gave me the absolute best stability in Premiere Pro for video rendering when the sticks were not EEC. I suspect that it's because the sticks don't have as much data per stick flowing to each of them, and the load is spread across all four, reducing the likelyhood of errors. Also, there are some problems with faster RAM that are not EEC, so I'm playing it conservative. But this is the only aspect of the system that I left open to expansion in a short term period.

The CM Storm Stryker is the only case I found that can accommodate all of the things I want to do, while looking relatively attractive. The handle is an amazingly great feature, as on the rare occasion, I may have to bring the workstation to shoot that requires some serious horsepower on site.

I chose the NZXT Kraken X60 simply because it offered better cooling than the Corsair alternatives, at an attractive price point. As for the X40, I chose that one for the GPU, but more on that later.

GPU Modification Game Plan- R9 290X

I'm going to combat cooling the 290X in a simple way. I was one of those guys who was about to get the Accelero III or the MK-26 or some other obnoxiously large cooling solution. Water cooling was an option for me, except that the maintenance on a water cooling system would mean that my potential market of buyers was now axed, as most people don't even know how to clean a normal computer, let alone maintain a water cooling PC. Also, the cost of assembling a watercooled PC was quite frightening, as I would go the quality route, and that alone would hurt the wallet.

I stumbled across the Sigma Cool MK2, which recently announced that it supports the R9 290x. This mount allows you to mount an AIO water cooled system onto the card, and makes the most sense. I can now keep the card from occupying more than 2 slots (The MK-26 solution can take up as many as 5 slots!), and hit way cooler temperatures than air cooled solutions. All for a few dollars more.

The action plan will be to mount the X40 to the 290x, and then use Enzotech MOS-C1 heatsinks mounted to all of the VRM's to keep those cool. Their smaller profile means that each VRM will have it's own heatsink, which will result in cooler performance, but the height of the copper rods that make up the heatsink will aid in pulling heat out of the VRM. I'll use the Corsair SP120 fans in place of some of the case fans that have filters in the way, and use the case supplied fans to blow air directly onto the GPU to keep the RAM and VRM's cool. The RAM modules on the card will have Kootek copper sinks on them, mainly because they are low profile, copper, and designed for the Pi, but fit RAM modules.

I will be updating this thread with pictures throughout the build, so make sure to subscribe to the thread.

For those of you with R9 290/290x cards, you should definitely subscribe, as I will be providing before and after thermal measurements/comparisons.

**THERMAL COMPARISONS R9 290x**

Unfortunately, during a reinstallation of Windows 8 due to a power failure that somehow borked my first installation (PSU wasn't up to snuff), I lost most of my screenshots of the R9 290x temperatures when it was still on air. However, I did write them down.

290x (air): 98 degrees Celsius 100% load @ 10 minutes
290x (air): 41 degrees Celsius idle load
290x (air): 700-980mhz core (<20 minutes full load)

290x (water): 70 degrees Celsius 100% load @ 15 minutes
290x (water): 34 degrees Celsius idle load
290x (water): 1100mhz core (<20 minutes full load)

17 REPLIES 17

StayClassyROG
Level 7
Stripping down the card to prepare for watercooling:

Cover removed:

Heatsink off:

More stuff!

The_Eighth
Level 7
Looking forward to your next posts!

Very interested in this since i will be trying the same thing with my 290x! Although i will in fact be using the Kraken X60 for my GPU!

Any results yet?

Would this not be more suitable for your GPU. If your going to fit an all in one CPU cooler and adapter plate, then that's one more thing to explain to a potential buyer.It's around the same size as the reference cooler and made for the job. Just a thought. looking forward to seeing the temps test from air to water. The 290x can get a good howl going when things heat up.
http://hexus.net/tech/news/cooling/62997-nzxt-kraken-g10-liquid-cooling-gpu-mounting-kit-announced/
Board: MVIF
CPU: intel core i7 4770k@4.8GHz
GPU: R9 290x
RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengence 2133MHz
SSD: ROG RAIDR 240gb PCI-e SSD
Case: Coolermaster HAF xb
Cooling: custom water loop
Monitor: Asus PB278Q

My build log photo dump

I also ordered the NZKT Kraken G10 Welshy. Already received my R9 290 but the G10 is still awaiting delivery. I hope it is here soon, i am expecting much better temps then 85-90C now. I will report back when the G10 arrives.

Hi everyone! Sorry about the break with no updates: holidays caught me off-guard 😛

I've completed the build, but not without modifications!

Parts changed out:

NZXT IU01 Internal USB Expansion (added)
Asus Accessory TPM FW3.19 TPM Module BitLocker FW3.19 for Asus MB Retail (added)
Corsair Professional Series AX 1200 Watt Digital ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Platinum (AX1200i) (upgrade)
Rosewill Hyperborea 140mm PWM Fan x2 (upgrade)

I needed more USB headers, so the IU01 gave me just that.
The TPM chip was a necessity for me due to some of my clients requesting encrypted storage of their data :cool:

The original power supply was not able to keep up with the power demands of my system when I left it CPU and GPU mining altcoins, and would shut the system down after a few minutes. I have since upgraded to the 1200i, and my problems are all gone.

The original fans that came with the Kraken X60 frankly suck. They developed a bearing rattle literally two days into the build, and when they hit full speed... It's like turning on a hair dryer. They actually make the case rattle because they spin so fast and loud! They were mounted horizontally, but with the motor on top, so the fan is essentially blowing upwards through the radiator. One fan would jump up and down sporadically, so I decided enough was enough and I plunged on the Hyperborea. It's a rebranded Akasa Apache, and out of all of the fans I've tested (Corsair 140mm, Noctua Ultrasilent, Antec Truequiet, Bitfenix Spectre Pro), the Hyperborea's were the one I did not return to Amazon.

This fan blows (in a good way), but is really quiet. Despite all of these CFM/SP ratings and heretalk online that make choosing fans a nightmare, the Hyperborea was impossible to beat at it's price. You barely hear anything on the silent setting with the NZXT's software, and only until you set the fan profile to extreme do you hear anything. However, the air being pushed up through the radiator is impressive. I think the shape of the blades is the reason; there's a reason that they are shaped similar to the blades of a turbofan engine, and that is because it helps to increase the static pressure ability of the blades, as well as increasing airflow, but also keeping noise down.

Please excuse the mess on my desk and room; I just finished a repasting and wire routing job on the tower to finalize the build!

welshy46 wrote:
Would this not be more suitable for your GPU. If your going to fit an all in one CPU cooler and adapter plate, then that's one more thing to explain to a potential buyer.It's around the same size as the reference cooler and made for the job. Just a thought. looking forward to seeing the temps test from air to water. The 290x can get a good howl going when things heat up.
http://hexus.net/tech/news/cooling/62997-nzxt-kraken-g10-liquid-cooling-gpu-mounting-kit-announced/

Hi there Welshy!

I wanted to get the G10 desperately, but they are out of stock until later this month! Alas, I was unable to secure one in time for the build, so I went with the homemade option, which is working admirably. However, once they are made available, I will be modifying the build to incorporate one!

chrsplmr
Level 18
Yes, The drool is forming a puddle beneath me .. ??? How's it com'n along bro ???

Antronman
Level 10
If this is a super build, why is it using the R9 290x? It should have an HD 7990 or a Firepro W9000. The GTX Titan and 780Ti outclass the 290x. But the HD 7990 outclasses those two, as do the Firepro W8000 and W9000 GPUs.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me