cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage IV extreme booting freeze with LSI raid controller.

micax
Level 7
I have Rampage IV extreme and LSI megaraid SAS 9265i with raids on шею

The problem is that when system is booting and initializing RAID bios -
I got debug code 62 (not b2) and system freeze.
the only way to avoid it and boot further - is turn it off, run again - debug code 00 and not booting, turn it off, power off PSU, turn it on, stopped on debug code 40, turn it off, turn it on - got overclock failed error, F1 - to fet into BIOS, save changes and reset, and the first time after it - I will get full booting.

If I want to reset - I`ll get stuck on 62 again.
If I reset from OS I use boot to UEFI option to get into bios to use save changes and reset option to boot again.

this problem was not annoying me because my system works 24/7
it probably appeared with 3xxx series bioses.

currently I have 4206 bios but also tried 4502 4503 3602 3504

RAID bios is also regularly updated currently: Firmware Package: 23.18.0.0014 (MR 5.8 Point Release)

however I want ot get rid of it and boot quicker...

System:
Rampage IV extreme
3960X
32 gskill ripjaws 2400
4 OCZ vertex 3
19 REPLIES 19

HiVizMan
Level 40
What graphic card/s are you using - the system is having issued detecting and initialising your VGA to boot. I wonder if it is possible to change the PCIe slot you have your RAID card fitted too? Does that help?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

micax
Level 7
hmm... I don`t think it`s graphic cards - because LSI bios is starting to initialize (i see it`s post message), but freezing on it - could not complete it`s POST fully

HiVizMan
Level 40
Thank you for that analysis. 🙂 That is exactly what I am suggesting, the q-code is tell us where to look. Any chance you might answer my questions at all please.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

micax
Level 7
currently it`s 2x r290 and 2x 6990
but problem appeared first time when it was only 2 6990 in slot 1 and 2B
raid controller was at slot 3 and 4

Raja
Level 13
I'll share with you some emails from a co-worker who has an LSI Megaraid 9240-8i. I t may be of use to you:

After discovering that LSI MegaRaid 9240-8i = Intel RS2WC080, I found additional solutions to try searching discussions about problems with RS2WC080, including this discussion, which ultimately helped fix the problem. https://communities.intel.com/thread/19598

I downloaded IR3_2008SASHWR_FWPKG-v20.10.1-0107 (fw: 2.130.354-1664) from ~Oct. 2011 and flashed using LSI MegaCli (shouldn’t make a difference, but I was more familiar with MegaCli command line syntax) and it immediately began working. I installed win8 to the array, and did not need to load any additional drivers for it to see the virtual drive.

Does not appear this issue is due to our MB, so there’s a chance going back to this FW may help others who encounter similar issue on other MB.

One additional piece that is relevant to users who are installing OS on the array. Based on my testing, the array must first be created on the new MegaRaid firmware BEFORE rolling back to the earlier firmware.

I switched array type (0 to 5) on the old firmware and found that both win7 and win8 installers BSOD. Win8 installer doesn’t event make it past initialization. However, when I created the array on the new firmware, and then switched to old firmware, it seems to be ok.

I will ask HQ if they have the same card as yours - if they do they might be able to replciate and patch.

-Raja

Raja@ASUS wrote:
I'll share with you some emails from a co-worker who has an LSI Megaraid 9240-8i. I t may be of use to you:

After discovering that LSI MegaRaid 9240-8i = Intel RS2WC080, I found additional solutions to try searching discussions about problems with RS2WC080, including this discussion, which ultimately helped fix the problem. https://communities.intel.com/thread/19598

I downloaded IR3_2008SASHWR_FWPKG-v20.10.1-0107 (fw: 2.130.354-1664) from ~Oct. 2011 and flashed using LSI MegaCli (shouldn’t make a difference, but I was more familiar with MegaCli command line syntax) and it immediately began working. I installed win8 to the array, and did not need to load any additional drivers for it to see the virtual drive.

Does not appear this issue is due to our MB, so there’s a chance going back to this FW may help others who encounter similar issue on other MB.

One additional piece that is relevant to users who are installing OS on the array. Based on my testing, the array must first be created on the new MegaRaid firmware BEFORE rolling back to the earlier firmware.

I switched array type (0 to 5) on the old firmware and found that both win7 and win8 installers BSOD. Win8 installer doesn’t event make it past initialization. However, when I created the array on the new firmware, and then switched to old firmware, it seems to be ok.

I will ask HQ if they have the same card as yours - if they do they might be able to replciate and patch.

-Raja

if it possible to find a way to use fastboot with LSI controller, that would be great! )

MAD
Level 7
I have the same LSI 9265-8I and the same mobo. After checking and trying around I found the problem is during the boot process only. Just play with the option in the uefi section and I finally get starting mine. It took me several days, even was thinking to change the board. If you continue with this problem I can check on my bios which is the option I have the setting that is working fine. I'm on 4206 too, but it happens to me the first time i install this board, a couple of months ago. Since then, every time I upgrade to a new bios I just change that options and all is flawless again. I also have 2 titan on sli, and a creative x-fi titanium hd, so a lot of cards in the middle and it works fine.

MAD wrote:
I have the same LSI 9265-8I and the same mobo. After checking and trying around I found the problem is during the boot process only. Just play with the option in the uefi section and I finally get starting mine. It took me several days, even was thinking to change the board. If you continue with this problem I can check on my bios which is the option I have the setting that is working fine. I'm on 4206 too, but it happens to me the first time i install this board, a couple of months ago. Since then, every time I upgrade to a new bios I just change that options and all is flawless again. I also have 2 titan on sli, and a creative x-fi titanium hd, so a lot of cards in the middle and it works fine.

Thank you I`ll give it a try - will let you know!

micax
Level 7
First of all: My bad it was b2 error but! -

Finally was able to reboot in 1 minute )!
Easiest solution found: turn-off fast-boot.

The reason was I was able to boot at all - that after power loss normal boot was turned on.
with normal boot - 100% of times I have no freezes in LSI bios initializing.

Would definitely appreciate if Devs will look into issue, because fastboot is still useful feature

Thank you.