cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Maximum VI Hero asm1061 freezing pc

Stoogie
Level 7
Whenever copying something from the HDD using this controller on port 7 to any other drive it causes windows to freeze at the end of the copying.(even in safe mode)
asm1061 storage controller problem for sata port 7 (1-6 is onboard) (7-8 is via this controller) (HDD passes HD tune)
latest Asmedia SATA Controller Driver V1.3.4.1 installed
port 7-8 arent on bios, but rather on misc under asm1061 with no hdd drive names.
i can read that file fine on the hdd and play all of it(its a video).
also only seems to do it with that file so far

i had to previously disable defrag weekly schedule as that was tripping the freeze too.

what else can i do??? RMA? its either the motherboard here or the cpu is the problem(happens overclocked or at stock with power saving states on or off)
9 REPLIES 9

Chino
Level 15
Are you using the latest BIOS? If not, update it to the latest one to see if that resolves your issue. Also try swapping SATA cables.

HiVizMan
Level 40
How many different hard drives have you tested this with?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

sorry 3am right now cant test anymore, and 2.1 ffxiv tomorrow, it has the latest bios, i havent switched sata cables, i havent switched it to port 8 either, i also havent tried another hard drive with the controller 7/8 port. ive tested it (h drive is the no.7 drive) H to G, H to F, H to C, all freeze at the 5 sec mark remaining.

should i order a 4670k since i believe i overvolted the llc/ring(cache/uncore) and may have caused damage to that, regarding that, games run fine , all benchmarks run flawlessly....... prime95 under 80c 4.5ghz adaptive off HT on 1.24v

did get some
Event 18 WHEA Logger
A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Internal Timer Error
Processor ID: 0

The details view of this entry contains further information

and Event 7001, Event 41 kernel power (63), Event 7026, Event 10005, Event 6008, Event 10111, Event 10110, Event 7031, Event 11 Atapi. ... man so many lol. thats over a week and i did 8 crash tests over the last 4 hours which most of them came from

thats probably what caused my random crashes Event 41 kernel power (63) while doing idle things like chrome or youtube, since my main drive is a samsung evo 250gb ssd, i set all my windows temp files, and also chromes temp files and cookies to that H drive, so at random points when it was writing to that drive through that controller, the controller bugged out and crashed my pc...

i have changed all temp files to G drive and have disconnected the H drive, let's see if it still does it when its not even used 😜

can you get a RMA for a broken asm1061 controller? not really worth the hassle since everything else works fine? just buy a pcie sata card? thanks

Raja
Level 13
Best make sure that instability is not coming from elsewhere before you think about RMA.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Do these errors occur when at defaults?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Stoogie
Level 7
i will reply again when i have tested the drive with a diff sata cable, transfer that same file using 1-6 number sata ports, may take a while sorry. thx for the help tho. But since i have disconnected it, havent had a crash since, sata controller or HDD problem taht isnt picked up by HD tune