cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Concerns regarding complete system freezes

theevilisback
Level 7
So I've now had my G75VW for 18 months, and it's been running pretty smooth except for the occasional complete system freeze maybe one day a month the past few months. I'll tell you exactly what I had running:

Steam, Dota2, Chrome, Skype for windows. I also had soluto, AVG, and other standard items running in background.

Chain of events was Alt+tabbing to go to chrome, chrome stops responding. Then alt tabbing back into anything keeps the overlay from alt tabbing stuck on my screen, then everything freezes, numlock won't turn on or off, and the disk light is stuck on. This happens rather frequently now and I'm seeing things where people are saying the hard drives in these have tended to not last too long, which makes me think that's my problem.

Is there any way to actually test everything? I don't really want to go and wipe this hard drive again and use that preloaded version... I'd rather (but don't have the money to buy a copy) install a fresh windows 7 on this and not have any of the bloatware 😞

Any advice is appreciated cause I love this thing, but god does this annoy me.
3 REPLIES 3

Clintlgm
Level 14
You Can download a win 7 sp164 from Here These ISO's are quite legal and you will just need make sure you download the version your computer came with. See this Thread for how to if you need help clean installing
Its really no issue for win 7 sp1 64, you just have to make sure you create a UEIF GPT install media and insure that you boot it up UEIF. Of course the USB thumb drive is the very fastest way to do this, Its been a while but I think the last time I installed win 7 it took all of about 10 minutes. 18 months ago, you should have gotten a win 8 pro $14.95 upgrade, you might want to consider this a good time to Clean install that as 8.1 pro 64?
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

theevilisback
Level 7
My model was the last one that came with windows 7, and I'm not a huge fan of 8 so I want to stick with 7. I'm just thinking about buying an SSD and seeing if that fixes a lot of stuff and turning the 1TB that's in this into the slave. Looking at a Samsung 250GB SSD (going to put everything that boots up on it, that's it) and hopefully go from there.

Do you have any idea what could be causing the problems though? Like, right now everything's fine. It seems so sporadic and typically it happened when Steam was trying to update a game and something flips out and suddenly I have a frozen computer. Now that steam's not updating everything is running smooth.

Thanks again for the links, this just made my night 😄

rewben
Level 13
hi @theevilisback, maybe you should try to scan the disk for errors first (chkdsk /F at administrative command prompt).