cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time ever OCer | Rampage III Extreme

Retired
Not applicable
Being overly anxious, I blinded myself with excitement and posted in the wrong section of the ROG forums. I previously made a thread in the Rampage III Extreme Mobo section with assistance on OCing.

I understand basics from doing research [ie. Memory voltage must remain < 1.66v, need to follow multipliers, take it slow, keep an eye on temps and power]. I simply never OCed a CPU or through BIOS.

Below is the parts I'll be piecing together within the next three days.

CPU: i7 930
Mobo: Rampage III Extreme
RAM: Dominator GT 1600 7-7-7-20
GPU: 2x XFX HD 5850 1GB
PSU: Silverstone ST-1000p 1000w
SSD: OCZ 240GB Vertex 2
Case: Cooler Master ATCS 840
CPU cooler: Corsair H50

I will fill the 3 extra 120mm fan slots with Scythe S-FLEX all as intake.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

NOTE: I did see the OCing posts by V2-V3. I kind of understand the method of testing the clock via the golden rules. I'm simply confused on the parts I'm reading [vcore, qpi, cpu pll, etc]. I don't want to be one of those guys who just does a OC and sees Windows start up and assume it's a stable OC. Despite my over zealous behavior on miss posting the first time, I want to do it right, and I'm willing to take the time to do so. Thanks to those who assist in my new adventure.
58 REPLIES 58

69_Goat
Level 7
Where did you find V2's posts?
I was looking for them.
i7-980X | EVGA 762 Classified | 6GB Dom GT 2000C7 | GTX580 SLI

i7-2600K | Asus MIVE-Z68 | 4GB Dom GT 2000C8 | GTX580 Martix

69_Goat's HWBOT Profile

Kaboom
Level 8
In Bios I would enable load line calibration which will prevent any vdroop. It tries to prevent any droop in voltage. For instance, if you set your V to 1.3 it will keep it as close to 1.3 as possible. Also, don't jump higher than 10 base clock at a time. When you start to OC you want to OC your CPU first, then your memory. So I would set your memory to the lowest setting it can go for now until you find a stable setting for your CPU to run at. I don't believe your cpu is unlocked so your multiplier will stay as is. I would personally leave your voltages set to auto, once you start to get around 170+ base clock you'll probably need to up things a bit on the voltages. When it comes to voltages I recommend only jumping up 1, no more than 2, intervals at a time. Also, always make sure to monitor your temps (I recommend Core Temp, don't go with the BIOS readings) and make sure to stress test your settings. If you're getting upwards of 80-85C I would definitely try toning things down a bit. If you're at settings you believe your system should be able to run, but your computer doesn't start up it probably just needs a bit more power. That would be the time you'd wanna start messing around with voltages, like I said though don't jump very far when messing with that.

That will help get you started, but V2-V3 will definitely be the person you'll want to talk to about this. He's kind of a pro from what I hear. Best of luck on your oc'ing! Plus with your board there is a clear cmos button which will allow you to reset any uh ohs you do if you end up going to far with the oc'ing.

Retired
Not applicable
In the mobi section in the Rampage III Extreme section. He has a couple threads/posts on the BIOS and other bits to help.

Retired
Not applicable
Managed to pull a 4.2GHz clock out of the CPU, but at 100% load running Prime95, temps shot up to 95-100c. I shut the test down. Here are the settings at the moment.

BCLK: 191MHz
CPU Voltage: 1.4V
QPI: 1.4V
DRAM: 1.70925
CPU PLL: 1.88150V

It's idling at 55-60c and I know that isn't right. Going to revert to stock clock until further notice.

Are there any other settings I can either tone down or up to decrease temps?

Your DRAM can be set at 1.65, and I would try lowering your CPU voltage until you can't start up anymore. That way you find the lowest voltage your computer needs at those settings. An easy way to find out is to turn off load line calibration, run a test, and see what your volts drop to. If you have your settings at 1.4 and it drops to 1.37 then you're over feeding. Extra voltage=extra heat. Other then that though your voltages look ok. Have you messed with any other settings?

Retired
Not applicable
No. Second I saw 90c on coretemp I instantly shut down the test and cleared CMOS. I would be dead if I fried the CPU. At this point, I don't even need to OC my computer. As far as I'm concerned at the moment. I get 30+ frames steady in Crysis and that's all I'm looking to need at the moment. Once I hit up some more demanding situations, I'll consider tapping into BIOS again. Thanks for the feedback.

I would say you're IDLE temps are just way out of shape even at 1.40v. During some fun benching sessions I would run my 920 C0 chip at close to 1.50v with LLC enabled, yet just idle at around 45c under Air.
Is your H50 Sucking in air from the outside? I would say just do that.

First thing I would do is, try 160 bclk then just max out you're Multiplier which is 21? or 22. Not sure. and set everything on auto, except for the Ram, and see what your bios gives you. You should be at around 1.25v, If not, then your chip might not be the greatest clocker. After you boot in and verify the Clock/Voltages, run prime for at least 5 minutes, and check your temperatures. If its within 70c load, then its fine., if not, check your idle. it should be at around 38c ish. I personally have the Rampage II myself, and on auto the board scales really nice, even with my Early C0 920. Give it a try 🙂

PS: Personally I think your temps are way out of shape. Idling at around 40-50c? Not right for a H50

What is your idle temps at stock? ( EIST enabled or disabled )
Daily Rig
CPU: Intel i7 980X @ 4.2ghz
Mobo: ASUS Rampage III Extreme w/ EK WB
GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 580 Vanilla @ 965/2215 w/ EK WB & Custom Bios
Memory: 24GB Corsair Vengeance 1600
SSD: RAID-0 Crucial M4 128GB ~200GB
HD: Multiple WD Drives
PSU: Corsair AX1200 MDPC-X Sleeved
Case: Corsair 800D
WC: Serial MCP35X, 2x GTX480 RAD, EK blocks all around.

Retired
Not applicable
Idle temps at stock are 40c average. I know they should be down around 35, that's what most people seem to get. Though I live in Florida and my rooms temperature stands around 80 degrees average. Here is how my H50 is positioned.

The ATCS840 has a 230mm fan in the front pulling in cool air. It pushes it through the HDD bays and then the 120mm for the radiator pulls it the rest of the way. In my work logs I stated the radiator on the H50 wouldn't fit because of the location the R3E had for it's mobo power connections.

I'm thinking simply due to the overall outset temperature of the case and the other hardware inside, it's running a bit hot. Air ventilation is great though, I'll see what I can do.

EDIT: I guess it's rumored, it's best to have the pipes on the bottom of the rad for easier water flow. Gonna think of a new mounting method to test it.

EDIT2: OCed to 4.0GHz at 1.2v - Prime95 took temps temps up to 75c then BSOD due to lack of voltage I'm assuming. Cleared CMOS and running at stock again. I have a few thoughts as to why the radiator isn't running cool. I think my competing 120mm fan under the H50 in that picture, is pushing more air than the H50. Going to shut down, remove it and see what happens.

Kaboom
Level 8
I have the H50 as well, and I run idle around 40-46C. I have the i7 875k, and some chips just run hotter than others. I haven't had luck with the H50 either, but as long as you aren't going upwards of 80C+ on 100% load you'll be fine.