cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS issue

m0r0nkk
Level 7
Hi guys,

I have a G55VW and yesterday tried to install W8 from a USB 3.0 stick.
I put the drive in and did not see it in BIOS (P.S. never flashed the BIOS)
I did not read the thread to turn off the FastBoot option to see the USB device.
I saw something in the BIOS like DISABLE USB 3.0 BOOT (not sure of the exact name of the option)
It came on AUTO. I set it to DISABLE, saved and exit.

After this my laptop won't boot up.
It just stays there when i power it on and nothing happens (power led is active, fans are spinning and the display is black)
No sounds, nothing.

If i tear down the laptop to take out the battery is it going to fix the issue or do i have to RMA it ?

Tried unplugging power + battery and holding the power button 10 sec.
Tried holding CTRL + HOME + power on to get into BIOS Recovery Utility, still black screen
16 REPLIES 16

rewben
Level 13
hi @m0r0nkk, please try this method. if it doesn't work, it's best to send the laptop to the nearest service center to you for proper fix.

unfortunately there is still no confirmed method to remedy this.

i took apart the laptop this evening and took out the battery for 30 minutes.
Still no BIOS reset. Still black screen.
I also tried ESC and after arrow key + enter as suggested, but still no luck.
I'm giving up... bricked windows just by selecting something in BIOS.... the most wonderful thing i ever heard.
Will try to get it repaired.
will re-post with official answers after the repair.

thank you for the suggestion.

rewben
Level 13
i think you should try several times, each time with different counts of tapping arrow key (down). you have tried 1 arrow key (down). then you try 2 arrow key (down) and enter. repeat this step and increase arrow key count by 1 each time (i think you should test up to 5 times).

some other brands have UEFI bios issues too (the status of them releasing fixes is unknown). some to the extent that if you boot a linux live usb you will brick the laptop. who would have thought that simple things like this can lead to such disasters.

The thing is that it only stays on for 30 seconds. After this it closes itself.
I have tried multiple times the suggested steps.
I start it up keeping ESC pressed for 5-6 seconds and after this i go with the arrow keys and hit enter.

Will go with it today afternoon with it in the service area and see what they can do...

rewben
Level 13
oh ok. i didn't know it will turn itself off after 30 secs.

My bad, i forgot to mention it.
That was the smallest detail in the big list.
Also tried formatting a USB stick with the BIOS on hoping that i could find some hidden keys to begin flashing the bios.
Just a couple of hours till i get off work and go to the ASUS certified service area.

P.S. i'm pulling my hair out of my nose ... payed a lot of money and it's bricked.
Couldn't even get to enjoy it for 1 week. 😞

rewben
Level 13
as long as there is a locla service center within reach, the laptop will be fine.

afaik you have tested almost all the methods that brought good news to some friends here. (the outcomes were rather unpredictable though) unfortunately, none of them work in your case.

while you're at it, maybe you can ask the service center if they could help you to install the OS for you.

Will update the post with the latest results.
I can install the OS fine on my own. I worked in a service area for a couple of years.
The only thing is that i don't have the tools to take out the BIOS chip to re-write it.
Hopefully the guys have it.

rewben
Level 13
haha i am just worried that similar things might happen if you try that again.