cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unstable Power Connector

KingCrizzo
Level 7
I hate to be one of those guys that only posts when he has a problem, but I'm going to be one of those guys.

The socket that I plug in my power supply to seems to have gone bad. Unless I sort of brace the cord so it isn't moving it will switch between AC power and battery power constantly. The power connection on this computer is kind of crappy to begin with, the plug can wiggle a bit within in the socket and I imagine that wiggle is what has worn out the connection and started causing this issue.

My baby (G73SW) is starting to get old, I've had it for 2.5 years, but it still runs fine and plays all the games I want it to fairly well. Anyway my question is, does anyone have any advice on how to fix this issue? A DIY option is what I'm hopefully looking for, but I'm afraid I might need to take it to a professional to fix and probably replace that part.

Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4

jamesgillre
Level 7
Sounds like your power jack has had its time. I had the same problem on my G53SW recently and it is also just gone 2.5 years old. It is an inherent problem in this particular model. It is a bad design but an L-connector helps reduce the problem.

(Also my one done exactly what yours was doing before it finally totally broke. I propped it up with a book for about a week before it finally stopped charging altogether. I guess it finally stops making contact after being on stress for so long.)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Battlelog
Youtube channel

G53SW-A1 User

Pitcher1
Level 9
i think you will send to service center to replace power jack on MB.

KingCrizzo
Level 7
Thanks for the replies. I tried fiddling with it a bit, but the problem only got worse. Bad design indeed, I've always hated how the power connector was on the right side instead of the left or back. It also has a straight plug instead of an L, and it constantly gets bumped so it's no wonder that it finally ruined the socket. I'll be buying an L connector and sending it in for service soon.

billyray520
Level 10
There is a way to fix it yourself. Here's a u-tube video. Another thing to do is get the L-plug accessory. Then what I did is threaded a plastic twist tie to the grille bar of the exhaust fan and twisted the cord into that so there was never any way to pull on the connector. (I did this for my wife's G73SW because she is careless.) If you notice, the u-tube link also has a $69 charge to fix it for you. Not bad considering the labor involved.
Asus Maximus V Extreme BIOS 1903, see specs above avatar.

Asus G73 jh A1 laptop, BIOS 213, vBIOS OD2, 8 GB Ram, 240 GB Intel SSD, 180 GB Intel SSD. Win 7 Pro. Purchased new from PowerNotebooks.com in May 2010.
(both have 1920X1080 hd screens, mine above, hers below )
Asus G73 Sw XR1 laptop 8 GB Ram, 160 GB Intel SSD, 80 GB Intel SSD. Purchased used >Ebay 1/10/13, Did clean install of Windows 7