cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage Black IV Random Reboots

BatJoe
Level 7
As per Raja's recommendation, I am starting this new thread to touch on the issue many are having with random reboots or startups with the new Rampage Black IV.

It would appear the issue at this moment based on user reports on other forums cannot be narrowed down yet to any specific system component or BIOS setting.

The problem if you are not aware of it is despite a system being fully stable in either Prime or other benchmark or general gaming the system will at random either reboot or based on some reports when the system is shut down it will magically reboot the system by itself. The reboot happens with no BSOD or other error message. The system simply shuts down for a few seconds and automatically reboots. I don't normally shut my system down completely, so I cannot confirm the system starting up by itself, but I can confirm random reboots when the system is on with no BSOD or other error message associated with the reboot.

I thought on my system I solved this with more tweaking of voltages, mainly VTT/VCCSA and CPU Vcore, and for a while my system stopped rebooting, until again it started happening over the last few days. Once again, completely at random, and even though I have not changed any system component or BIOS setting.

If anyone else is encountering this issue, please post about it on this thread with your system specs and BIOS settings. I will be updating this post with my current BIOS settings. If you know anyone on other forums you post on having this issue, either post on their behalf with their system specs and BIOS settings or tell them to register and post about it. If we can make Raja/ASUS Tech's jobs easier narrowing it down the quicker I'm sure it can be resolved.

My system specs:

Intel i7-3930K@4.5Ghz
Corsair Hydro H80i
ASUS Rampage IV Black
G.SKILL Trident X 16GB@1866MHz 8-9-9-24-2T
EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Creative Sound Blaster Z
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
Corsair AX750

It should be noted, I was using the same system components and same overclock on a Rampage Formula IV and all was well. Stable and no random reboots.
Intel i7-3930K@4.5Ghz // Corsair Hydro H80i // ASUS Rampage IV Black // G.SKILL Trident X 16GB@1866MHz 8-9-9-24-2T // EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti // Creative Sound Blaster Z // Bose Companion 3 II // Samsung 840 Pro 256GB // Corsair AX750 //
50 REPLIES 50

Raja
Level 13
1) You should list all settings changed in UEFI as well.

2) Also state what kind of debugging you have performed. Which frequencies does it occur at- have you reduced the OC and seen if it still happens (memory and CPU)? Does it happen at stock CPU frequency?

3) What's the part number of that memory kit? Are those its stock timings?

I would rather nobody posts on anyone else's behalf (just creates more mess for us to try and sift through). Just looking at your post above raises a dozen questions, so I'd rather deal with one case at a time before this becomes a free-4-all. Keep things to your own system and be as complete as you can please.

Praz
Level 13
Does this happen at stock settings with the memory set to JEDEC specs? Any troubleshooting will need this base info.

BatJoe
Level 7
@Raja:

I will be updating my post with BIOS settings. As I stated in my first post, this overclock and system components were in a Rampage Formula IV and perfectly stable with no random reboots. I have not tested at stock CPU frequency. But I can confirm essentially anything over 40x100 results in random reboots. They really are random, I played probably about 6 hours of AC4 Black Flag last night and no problems. Yet, this morning I found my system had rebooted itself for no reason.

I have also stress tested with GPUz and Heaven/Valley for several hours and no issues.

@Raja & @Praz: My memory kit is at stock settings 1866Mhz 8-9-9-24-2T 1.6V. Memory kit model # is F3-1866C8D-16GTX
Intel i7-3930K@4.5Ghz // Corsair Hydro H80i // ASUS Rampage IV Black // G.SKILL Trident X 16GB@1866MHz 8-9-9-24-2T // EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti // Creative Sound Blaster Z // Bose Companion 3 II // Samsung 840 Pro 256GB // Corsair AX750 //

BatJoe wrote:
@Raja:

I will be updating my post with BIOS settings. As I stated in my first post, this overclock and system components were in a Rampage Formula IV and perfectly stable with no random reboots. I have not tested at stock CPU frequency. But I can confirm essentially anything over 40x100 results in random reboots. They really are random, I played probably about 6 hours of AC4 Black Flag last night and no problems. Yet, this morning I found my system had rebooted itself for no reason.

I have also stress tested with GPUz and Heaven/Valley for several hours and no issues.

@Raja & @Praz: My memory kit is at stock settings 1866Mhz 8-9-9-24-2T 1.6V. Memory kit model # is F3-1866C8D-16GTX

I think part of the issue here is for guys like you that have "upgraded" from the other board thinking all the settings and voltages needed are exactly the same. This board is tuned for Ivy-E primarily, so most of the auto parameters and deeper stuff we do is tailored for those CPUs. There are some changes to the power circuitry as well (DRAM voltage FETs are changed) - therefore diallied in OCs from other boards may not cross-correlate.

DRAM trace layout was also changed (may suit Ivy-E better) so IO related voltages and timing sets may need to be increased/relaxed for some modules that are being run close to their peak IO on a platform they weren't really meant for.

I've seen folks make assumptions about LLC levels as well - simply assuming the load voltage between boards is identical. This all adds up to create issues for people if they don't start afresh.

You need to list everything you are changing, how much voltage range you have tried etc. Try to be as complete as you can. My gut is telling me voltage/memory timing issue (similar to Praz above).

-Raja

Praz
Level 13
If the reboots are still present with stock settings lower the memory speed to 1333MHz. Your memory is not qualified by G.Skill for the X79 platform and this could be an issue. I have 8 2x8GB sets of the 2400MHz TridentX. Any two sets work fine together on the X79 except one set. That set causes instability when used with any other set. Move to Z87 and the issues go away.

Praz wrote:
If the reboots are still present with stock settings lower the memory speed to 1333MHz. Your memory is not qualified by G.Skill for the X79 platform and this could be an issue. I have 8 2x8GB sets of the 2400MHz TridentX. Any two sets work fine together on the X79 except one set. That set causes instability when used with any other set. Move to Z87 and the issues go away.

Normally I would agree with you Praz, but as I said that memory kit was stable at its stock settings on my X79 Rampage Formula at 45x100. And I am using Mode 1 for memory for better compatibility in the BIOS.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
I think part of the issue here is for guys like you that have "upgraded" from the other board thinking all the settings and voltages needed are exactly the same. This board is tuned for Ivy-E primarily, so most of the auto parameters and deeper stuff we do is tailored for those CPUs. There are some changes to the poewr circuitry as well (DRAM voltage FETs are changed) - therefore diallied in OCs from other boards may not cross-correlate.

You need to list everything you are changing, how much voltage range you have tried etc. Try to be as complete as you can. My gut is telling me voltage/memory timing issue (similar to Praz above).

-Raja

Don't you think assuming anyone who is going to use this board is Ivy-E users is a little silly? I of course don't know what goes into making a BIOS, but in my mind I would think you would be able to tune the BIOS to detect when it is a SB-E CPU or IB-E CPU installed. Either way, not just SB-E users are having this problem, IB-E users are also reporting of random reboots.

I know what you say is at least partially true, because VTT/VCCSA by default in Auto were not moving AT ALL when I move the clocks up, but they did with the Rampage Formula. This makes no sense. I did manually move those voltages to even higher than what was set on the Formula. And like I said, my system hadn't rebooted in a while. But then all of a sudden after a week it started again. What is strange is that it seems to do it more when the system is idle and not being in use.

So I have moved the VTT/VCCSA, Vcore as high as I am willing to go. VTT/VCCSA is close to 1.2v and CPU Vcore is at 1.376 with LLC set to Ultra High, which keeps it pretty much at this voltage all the time. I have tried using Medium/High. Again, I was able to have a fully stable system with less voltage than this with the Formula.

Raja
Level 13
There are fewer users that use SNb-E with these newer boards than those that use Ivy-E (in fact very few).

The VCCSA scaling is Ivy-E related I suspect. AFAIK most SNb-E users did not like our VCCSA scaling for SNB-E on the R4E boards and tuned manually anyway.

The voltages you are setting and what you get on both boards would need to be finely compared with a DMM to make sure it is the same. LLC between boards and circuits varies.

I think your Vcore at "1.76V" is a typo...

If it were me:

1) I would "underclock" the memory and see how that impacts things. With that out of the way, I'd leave the voltages static and reduce the CPU core ratio in X1 steps and see how that impacts things as well. If it turns out to be DRAM related, there are a plethora of things it could be (either needing relaxed timings or some of the finer stuff). I can help with the latter but I need someone who is flexible enough to try things first.

2) I would not limit the voltage I use at this point too precisely - like I said board is designed around Ivy-E so you might have to make some concessions. Boards generally clock CPUs better if they were designed for those CPUs from the ground up. Especially the case if there are any DRAM trace layouts to suit a given IMC. Doubly so if the modules being used were never intended for a platform. This point will be a bitter pill to swallow if it is the case, because you thought you were in for more potential, when the board is not really designed to maximize the OC overhead of the CPU you are using (so comparisons to the older boards may not net you an improvement and may even cost you some MHz at given voltage levels).

Case in point, any change in DQ trace impedance to suit an IMC of a newer platform may have negatove imapact on older CPUs.

3) You did not state if the voltage you are using is manual or offset.

At this point, it seems rather than have us help you, you'd like us to hand you some kind of UEFI that fixes all this for you. There is no chance of that whatsoever if we cannot get a complete picture of what is wrong (design variance between boards and given clock margins withstanding). This requires some kind of flexibility on your part for dabbling with us otherwise this thread will get us all nowhere..

-Raja

Raja@ASUS wrote:
There are fewer users that use SNb-E with these newer boards than those that use Ivy-E.

The VCCSA scaling is Ivy-E related I suspect.

The voltages you are setting and what you get on both boards would need to be finely compared with a DMM to make sure it is the same. LLC between boards and circuits varies.

I think your Vcore at "1.76V" is a typo...

If it were me:

1) I would "underclock" the memory and see how that impacts things

2) I would not limit the voltage I use at this point too precisely - like I said board is designed around Ivy-E so you might have to make some concessions. Boards generally clock CPUs better if they were designed for thos CPUs from the ground up. Especially the case if tere are any DRAM trace layouts to suit a given IMC. Doubly so if the modules being sued were never intended for a platform.

3) You did not state if the voltage you are using is manual or offset.

At this point, it seems rather than have us help you, you'd like us to hand you some kind of UEFI that fixes all this for you. There is no chance of that whatsoever if we cannot get a complete picture of what is wrong (design variance between boards and given clock margins withstanding). This requires some kind of flexibility on your part.

-Raja

Yes, sorry that should be 1.376. I have corrected that and updated that post with a few other things. That is what is reported in the BIOS, CPUZ, AIDA64. I have attempted to run the memory at lower settings and the problem still persists on the Black. I am using manual for voltage, not offset.

Raja, I of course want you to help, but there needs to be at least the consideration made on your/ASUS end that the issue could be related to a UEFI BIOS issue. Not just SB-E users are reporting of this, just read all the comments on the Black thread on Overclock.net (http://www.overclock.net/t/1444356/official-asus-rampage-iv-black-edition-owners-club) I am hoping others from there take the invite and post here with their experience and settings to also help narrow down what is going on.

As I said, I will definitely be updating my original post with my complete BIOS Settings. I am just not at that computer at the moment to post.

Raja
Level 13
The posts I have seen there - one guy was fiddling with LLC levels and expecting the variance to be a certain way (that was the mistake on his part and he sorted it by using the right level of Vcore).

Like I said, I think a lot of this is down to settings not being correct and possibly changing the wrong thing. If we can help with auto settings without ruining things we will. If not I will have to help people that want to be helped on a case-by-case basis. Would require starting with an empty cup rather than a half full one though my friend.

The other cases, if you are going to invite people over please suggest they have their own thread (each person).

-Raja