cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus g750jx laptop hdmi problem

DvlDanny
Level 7
Hello.

I have been trying to connect my LG Plasma TV to my Asus G750JX but it doesn't work whatsoever.
When I connect the cable nothing happens.
When I try to connect to another laptop it works so the problem is from my laptop.
I have tried fn+f8 or windows+p to try duplicating but it doesn't even detect it.
I tried settings it up from right click desktop > screen resolution but it only sees my laptop screen.
It doesn't identify my TV.
I have the latest graphics card as well from nvidia(geforce gtx 770m).

What might be the problem?

Kind Regards,
Danny
7 REPLIES 7

cheatermclaggin
Level 7
I have the JW model and have the same problem i always have leave the hdmi cable plugged in and restart the laptop to get it to work.

DvlDanny
Level 7
Oh wow. Thank you very much.

The secret is:
Plug in your HDMi then restart your laptop then it connects to the TV automatically after restart.

Have a nice day/evening,
Danny

villiansv
Level 11
This is odd, my JX connects to the TV when plugged in (Sony Bravia). All I have to do is change the TV to the correct HDMI input (my TV has 4). Perhaps you can test with a different TV to see if it isn't related to the TV itself? Older TV models may have a more finnicky nature.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
DvlDanny wrote:

I have been trying to connect my LG Plasma TV to my Asus G750JX but it doesn't work whatsoever.
I have the latest graphics card as well from nvidia(geforce gtx 770m).

villiansv wrote:
This is odd, my JX connects to the TV when plugged in (Sony Bravia). All I have to do is change the TV to the correct HDMI input (my TV has 4). Perhaps you can test with a different TV to see if it isn't related to the TV itself? Older TV models may have a more finnicky nature.

If anybody is interested, we might also want to compare vga driver versions to see if this makes any difference?

Although I'm testing the G750JW instead of G750JX, they should be using the same vga driver and will probably act the same way for this issue. Anyway, I can connect a monitor through HDMI to my G750JW with nVidia Geforce GTX 765M driver ver 9.18.13.2702 and get a display without rebooting if anybody wants to compare. The bios version is 208.

G750JX owners probably want to compare with other G750JX owners first though.

cl-Albert wrote:
If anybody is interested, we might also want to compare vga driver versions to see if this makes any difference?

Although I'm testing the G750JW instead of G750JX, they should be using the same vga driver and will probably act the same way for this issue. Anyway, I can connect a monitor through HDMI to my G750JW with nVidia Geforce GTX 765M driver ver 9.18.13.2702 and get a display without rebooting if anybody wants to compare. The bios version is 208.

G750JX owners probably want to compare with other G750JX owners first though.

Sounds reasonable. JX with 331.82 works fine without reboot. It has worked with previous versions too, though I can't recall which ones.

I have been doing some reading and it appears to be a driver issues with Windows 8.1

Mine will connect to monitor and used to connect to TV by simply connecting the HDMI cable (hot) but after the Windows 8.1 update only connecting to the monitor will work. The HDMI out to a TV source will not work at all, not even with a full reboot while connected.

It was suggested to try a clean install of the Nvidia drivers but that did not work. I also tried the beta drivers to no avail as well. Sucks to have a $2000 laptop that wont play a movie on a TV. Hope whoever is responsible for the issue resolves it soon.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Walleye wrote:
I have been doing some reading and it appears to be a driver issues with Windows 8.1

Mine will connect to monitor and used to connect to TV by simply connecting the HDMI cable (hot) but after the Windows 8.1 update only connecting to the monitor will work. The HDMI out to a TV source will not work at all, not even with a full reboot while connected.

It was suggested to try a clean install of the Nvidia drivers but that did not work. I also tried the beta drivers to no avail as well. Sucks to have a $2000 laptop that wont play a movie on a TV. Hope whoever is responsible for the issue resolves it soon.

Welcome to the forums!

fyi.
I might be missing something, but didn't see any problems hot-plugging HDMI-out to an old Sony TV in Win8.1 with my G750JW test unit, so guessing (or hoping?) it may not really be a Win8.1 or software issue since it shouldn't really make any difference if you are attaching an HDMI monitor or HDMI TV from the notebook side (especially if everything worked in Win8).

If possible, try checking the HDMI-out to your TV with a different system if possible just to make sure that works and everything is okay on the TV side.
Otherwise, if you haven't already, cycle through all your TV video-in inputs to confirm you were checking the correct one although the notebook should still recognize when a TV is connected inside the Windows display settings in this situation.

Anyway, just wanted to run this by you before we start worrying about the more difficult solutions.