cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2014 PC build

ACE90
Level 7
Hello lads and lassies.

I'm planning on my PC build for 2014 and would like to hear what some of you think. Below is the list of parts and feel free
to comment and offer advise and/or warning :).

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB (EVO version if it comes to sweden)
Case Fans: 2x 140mm Cooler Master BC Red LED (front intake)
1x 120mm Cooler Master Jetflo Red LED (rear exhaust)
1x 200mm Cooler Master Megaflow Red LED (top exhaust)
MB: Asus Maximus VI Formula or Extreme (haven't decided)
CPU: Intel i7 4770K @3.5 GHz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master v8 GTS
GPU: 2x Asus R9 290X (Matrix version if/when available)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance PRO Red 32GB @ 1600MHz
SSD: Corsair Force GT 120GB
HDD: WD Caviar Black 4TB (type FAEX)
PSU: Corsair AX860W Platinum (Preferably a 1200 if it fits)

What is the Republic's Opinion?

Edit 21/12-13: Hello again. I'm now considering swapping the CM case for a corsair Carbide Air 540. What do you think? Any suggestions for cases? I'm looking for a box-type case to have standing on my desk.

Edit 5/1-14: Brainstorm: A Rampage IV Black Edition with Intel i7 4960X in a Corsair Air 540?
14 REPLIES 14

HiVizMan
Level 40
I would go for the formula board.

A larger SSD is a must, they are very well priced right now. 960GB Crucials and 1TB Samsung EVO drives.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Hi :). Thanks for the input. The SSD os for my OS and minor software only, but I will definetly look it up :). Right now my OS+software takes up around 80GB, so 120GB seemed logical at the time :).

kevvy
Level 7
do you really need 32gig ram, i should,nt think you,ll need or ever use 32 gig, even with the top games on max you would,nt,use much over 8 gig i agree with hivizman, formula board, 🙂
MOTHERBOARD : ROG CROSSHAIR V FORMULA... bios 1703
MONITOR : AOC 24 INCH 144HZ
PROCESSOR : AMD FX 8350 - 4.4 Ghz
RAM:CORSAIR : XMS 16 GIG 1760 hz
COOLING : DARK ROCK PRO 3
GRAPHICS : ROG GTX TWIN 760 STRIKERS IN SLI
PSU : CORSAIR HX750
X PREDATOR CASE : IN WHITE
Cruicial 256 Gig SSD OS
Cruicial 128 Gig SSD GAMING
FANS.2 Aerocool Dead Silence 140 mm Red top exhaust
2 Aerocool Dead Silence 140 mm Red 1 front intake1 rear exhaust1 Aerocool 200 mm front intake
WINDOWS 7 Ultimate 64 bit

HiVizMan
Level 40
Kev if the cost of that much ram is not an issue it can be quite handy, I know a couple of guys who use Ramdisk's and they are as happy as Larry with the extra ram. I agree with you, 16GB is the sweet spot in my view.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

kkn
Level 14
the formula.
and that cooler of yours, remember to take the ram height in to consideration.
have a look at the corsair H100i and see if thats an option.
and do have more intake then the 2 140mm fans.
depends on what your gona use the pc for, if just gaming and no rendering or some thing like that go for 16gig and 2133mhz. ( 2x 8gig ).
and yes get a larger SSD, mabye 2, one for OS and one for games?

Hi :). The cooler fits with RAM under 50mm in height, and the Vengeance PRO are 44mm, so it should be ok. When it comes to RAM-speed I plan to do a minor OC. The H100i was my first choice, but it probably won't fit with 2x Matrix cards, so I chose the V8 since it can help cool the RAM.

billyray520
Level 10
Go for the 32 GB RAM. Never a bad decision. Nothing bad will happen for having too much RAM. But if you decide to upgrade later, you will have to (or should) get matched sets. I remember back in 2010 when I bought my 8 GB G73jh, NOBODY EVER thought that much RAM would be necessary. NOW everyone with the G73 is trying to upgrade the RAM to 16 or 32 GB. It's amazing what a difference a couple of years can make!

My motto is to ALWAYS MAX OUT the mobo's RAM.

I guarantee you, in a couple of years everyone will be talking about 64 GB of RAM in their computers!
Asus Maximus V Extreme BIOS 1903, see specs above avatar.

Asus G73 jh A1 laptop, BIOS 213, vBIOS OD2, 8 GB Ram, 240 GB Intel SSD, 180 GB Intel SSD. Win 7 Pro. Purchased new from PowerNotebooks.com in May 2010.
(both have 1920X1080 hd screens, mine above, hers below )
Asus G73 Sw XR1 laptop 8 GB Ram, 160 GB Intel SSD, 80 GB Intel SSD. Purchased used >Ebay 1/10/13, Did clean install of Windows 7

HiVizMan
Level 40
The price of larger SSD is way better £/GB than smaller and performance is better with larger SSD to by the way. And you can not believe how quick you can fill a 250GB SSD mate. Seriously it is easy.

HiVizMan wrote:
The price of larger SSD is way better £/GB than smaller and performance is better with larger SSD to by the way. And you can not believe how quick you can fill a 250GB SSD mate. Seriously it is easy.

+1

I have a 250 GB System drive, and it fills very fast. If you have Windows, it constantly adds more and more updates to everything, like Net Framework 1,2,3,4, etc. etc. If you use MS Office, then the updates really go nuts on using disk space. When I installed Windows 7 and MS-Office (plus my own stuff) I was using 14 GB. Now (with just Windows, Net Framework, Visual Framework and Office updates) I am using 28 GB!! Now I have my SSD optimized besides. IOW, I have System restore turned off ( I use Erunt) and Hibernation turned off, and Page file turned off. If I had a normal Windows system, by now I would be using about 80 GB of space on my SSD!! And the thing that really bugs me is that Windows NEVER DELETES ITS OLD CRAP. It just keeps adding and adding for as long as it takes to get another Service Pack. With Windows 7 it's been years since we got a Service Pack update. :mad:
Asus Maximus V Extreme BIOS 1903, see specs above avatar.

Asus G73 jh A1 laptop, BIOS 213, vBIOS OD2, 8 GB Ram, 240 GB Intel SSD, 180 GB Intel SSD. Win 7 Pro. Purchased new from PowerNotebooks.com in May 2010.
(both have 1920X1080 hd screens, mine above, hers below )
Asus G73 Sw XR1 laptop 8 GB Ram, 160 GB Intel SSD, 80 GB Intel SSD. Purchased used >Ebay 1/10/13, Did clean install of Windows 7