cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple BSOD, tried everything I can think of.

Faith
Level 7
I built a new rig and for the first month or two, not a single issue. I was using my 58'' plasma TV as a monitor and no problems. I then switched to a triple monitor setup and within days, starting getting multiple BSODs. The ntoskrnl.exe appears to be the main culprit when I use BlueScreenView to read the dump file. "UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP" I have uninstalled and re-installed drivers, system-wide and re-set my graphics cards and replaced the memory with brand new DIMMs. Done a reinstall of Windows 7 Ultimate on a fresh SSD.

I don't know what system information may be relevant, so any help or requests for system setup is welcome.

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Intel Core i7-3770K @ 3.5GHz
ASUS Maximus V Extreme MOBO
EVGA Supernova 1300W G2 PSU 80+ Gold
480GB SSD
2TB SATA HDD
(2) 1TB SATA HDD
32GB 1600MHz (4x8GB DIMMs)
(2) GeForce GTX 760 SC (run in both SLI and non-SLI)
(3) 1920x1080 27'' monitors
6 REPLIES 6

HiVizMan
Level 40
The key here is the change to your system. The three monitors are going to be way more demanding than just one monitor. The size of the screen is not relevant. The total real-estate is, so (1920 x 3) x 1080 = 5760 x 1080.

That is a big step up.

Are you still playing your games at the same settings you were using with one screen?

Things to try - completely remove the nVid driver. And do a full new install.
If your VGA is over clocked please reset to defaults.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

I've tried running my system on 1, 2 and 3 monitors as well, still the same problem. I did a full removal of all the nVidia drivers and a clean/fresh install of the newest certified drivers, 3 times. No OC'ing of any kind for the last few weeks, though it has still given me the same BSODs on both default clock and OC. It is the same when I freshly installed Windows 7 Ultimate and a fresh SSD and no other software (games, office, 3D programs, etc), just a basic OS install and all drivers for all installed hardware. (MOBO, GFX cards, etc.)

I've tested RAM, replaced with fresh RAM from the manufacturer (even told them to retest all DIMMS before giving me the new ones, no errors).

I've removed/reseated the RAM, GFX Cards, power cables.

I've never actually gotten the BSOD to crash my system when I play the only game I had installed before the reinstallation of the OS.

I was playing Skyrim, at max settings, it never crashed while playing it, it only crashes when in the Windows environment. (Accessing one of my hard drives, opening a webpage, etc) Not every time I do one of those things, just that it randomly happens just during the everyday use of the computer.

HiVizMan
Level 40
I would suggest in that case you have a dodgy hard drive.

What does the event viewer say is the issue?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
I would suggest in that case you have a dodgy hard drive.

What does the event viewer say is the issue?

It depends. If I just use BlueScreenView (BSV), it will say the ntoskrnl.exe is the reason it crashed. If I use Windows Verifier, BSV says it was sometimes nvlddmkm.sys, which is linked to an nVidia file. But I have completely removed and reinstalled with the latest certified nVidia drivers 3 full times. I don't know how to copy/paste the dump file.

Faith
Level 7
Bump

Chino
Level 15