cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't install Windows 7 x64 as GPT

strandedpirate
Level 7
I can't get Windows 7 x64 Ultimate to partition my drive as GPT with the Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition motherboard and a Samsung 840 Pro 256GB.

Some background:
A few days ago I had the Rampage IV Extreme ( non-black edition) motherboard with all the same hardware and I WAS able to successfully get the windows 7 install to create the three partitions on the disk. [ System, MSR (System Reserved), Primary ] I re-installed windows with this setup 7 to 8 times. The odd thing is that sometimes, after completely deleting all partitions on the disk, the install would only create the [ System, Primary ] a.k.a. MBR. I would then re-delete these partitions and the install would then create the three necessary for GPT and I continued on.

Today I have the Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition with all the same hardware and installation disk and it refuses to create the three partitions for GPT.

Is there something in the bios that needs to be done to make this happen?

So far I've done this:
1) set the Secure Boot option to: Other OS - this had no affect
2) pressed F8 and chose UEFI - H: (my cd drive) to boot the Windows install in UEFI mode - had no affect.
2 REPLIES 2

strandedpirate
Level 7
We'll I decided against GPT before any one posted 😉 I saw a bunch of guides, notably these two:
Sean's Windows 7 Install guide
Rampage IV UEFI Boot Installation Guide

I tried using diskpart to clean the drive manually but the install refused to create a GPT partition for me. The effort to use diskpart to manually do all the steps for GPT just told me I should leave well enough alone and stick with MBR. If there are indeed faster boot times with GPT I'll just have to miss out..

darkage
Level 11
download and format a usb srick with RUFUS and your done