Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

$4k Asus/Corsair Haswell Build 12/2013

Hello Everyone!,

I'm going to start this build log with a description and move along from there!

I appreciate any feedback (agree or disagree), just keep it adult, polite, and a friendly discussion.

First off, this is my first PC build. I got into PC gaming about 1-2 years ago without knowing much. That's why I went out and bought me a Samsung Series 7 Gamer laptop. Still an awesome machine (with Intel Core I7 with 2.3Ghz/Intelboost@3.3, 16Gb ram, GTX675m, and beautiful Samsung 17" screen), but I wanted to build my own. Not only build my own, but as nice as a noob could think of, watching Youtube and making my own biased decisions.

With all that said, let's break it down!

Case: Corsair 900D
    PSU: Corsair AX1200i
    Mobo: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
    CPU: Intel 4th Gen. Haswell Core I7 4770k
    Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8 @ 2400
    GPU: Asus GTX780ti (reference model being that the digi+ model is not out yet)
    Cooling: Corsair H100i (with 4 SP PWM fans is push/pull), 3x Noctua PWM 120mm intake fans and 1x Noctua 140mm 3pin exhaust fan
    Storage: Sandisk (non-consumer) 256Gb SDD, 750Gb Hitachi HDD (pulled out of my laptop when replaced with 128Gb Samsung 840 Pro SSD, which I plan on moving into this build)
    Sound: Razer Tiamat 7.1 gaming headset
    Acc.: Asus Blu-ray Writer, Rosewill multimedia drive bay, handy USB 3.0 flash drive, Articsilver 5 and cleaners, plenty of air in a can,

I'm going to get some pics up soon, some gameplay data/footage, and what it took ordering all this (which ended up being a huge pain in my ass)!

ROG Enthusiast Array

Looks good but you did not order an operating system. If you plan on Windows 8.1, the H100i needs a registry hack for the Corsair Link software to work properly. Have fun!

ROG Member Array

I got a copy of windows 7 ultimate. I hate windows 8. Will never install again. Windows 8 is for tablets and touchscreens. Not gaming monsters.

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array abvolt's Avatar

Wow thats some rig you're going to have.
    Current: MSI Xpower Gaming Titanium | 7700K | G Skill Ripjaws V 3000 16Gb | 960 EVO 500Gb | Intel 730 480Gb | Seasonic 1000 Platinum |
    NZXT X62 | Acer XB270HU | EVGA 1080 ti FTW3

Secondary: R4BE | 4930K | G.SKILL 2400 16GB | Corsair AX 1500i
    Intel 730 240GB + 480GB | EVGA GTX780 ti sli kpe | Custom H20

ROG Member Array

I actually built it. Have all the pics. Just no time to upload pics. Going to try to get them up tonight or tomorrow. For right now it's stock. I did some basic overclocking. I could get 4.6 on all cores(basic settings) to play battlefield, run cinebench, and aida 64 for 1 hour before she crashed. I also ran auto tune at 4.6 and she gamed good, but no stress tests.

ROG Member Array

I want to apologize for the wait. Have a lot of family duties and with work during the holidays.....I've been busy! I'll get 'er started by after New Years for sure.

-Happy Holidays Everyone!

ROG Enthusiast Array RVxSpeed PC Specs
    RVxSpeed PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Rampage IV Extreme(Red)
    ProcessorIntel Core i7 3970x
    Memory (part number)CMD16GX3M2A1600C9
    Graphics Card #1Asus GTX 780 DC II OC
    Graphics Card #2Asus GTX 780 DC II OC
    Sound CardCreative ZxR
    MonitorAsus VG248QE
    Storage #1Intel 750 400 GB
    Storage #2Samsung 840 128 GB
    CPU CoolerCorsair H100i
    CaseCooler Master Cosmos II
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1200i
    Keyboard Logitech G15
    Mouse Logitech G400S
    Headset Logitech G35
    Mouse Pad Logitech
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z5500
    OS Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Network RouterLinksys WAG320N

Quote Originally Posted by Pez510 View Post
    I got a copy of windows 7 ultimate. I hate windows 8. Will never install again. Windows 8 is for tablets and touchscreens. Not gaming monsters.
    once upon a time my view to windows 8 was just like you. but,when i built my new rig this year. i faced troubling identifying the issue while in windows 7. it was giving random bsod along with random bug code every single time. but,when i have installed windows 8.1. the bsod bug check code was identified & was showing the same all the time. so, i was able to identify the problem. i would like to suggest you to buy windows 8.1. trust me it's worth it. if you are not buying because of the smart screen & e.t.c. there are some easy auto loaded script that can help you get rid of those like forever. if you change your mind feel free to give me a knock & i would be glad to help . also be advised corsair ax1200i has coil whine/electrical buzzing noise. it's unclear that whether it's factory faulty or all of the axi are just like that. some people gets the noise gone after rma'ing 3~4 times. some never get. it's still the best psu ever. but,just be careful on that.

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array Antronman's Avatar

Go for G. Skill Trident X 16gb. Cheaper than Dominator Platinum, same performance.

ROG Member Array

I don't need cheap, I want to install waterblock designed for Dominators. Thanks though.

ROG Member Array

I don't need cheap, I want to install waterblock designed for Dominators. Thanks though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast