Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    14

    $4k Asus/Corsair Haswell Build 12/2013

    Hello Everyone!,

    I'm going to start this build log with a description and move along from there!

    I appreciate any feedback (agree or disagree), just keep it adult, polite, and a friendly discussion.

    First off, this is my first PC build. I got into PC gaming about 1-2 years ago without knowing much. That's why I went out and bought me a Samsung Series 7 Gamer laptop. Still an awesome machine (with Intel Core I7 with 2.3Ghz/Intelboost@3.3, 16Gb ram, GTX675m, and beautiful Samsung 17" screen), but I wanted to build my own. Not only build my own, but as nice as a noob could think of, watching Youtube and making my own biased decisions.

    With all that said, let's break it down!

    Case: Corsair 900D
    PSU: Corsair AX1200i
    Mobo: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
    CPU: Intel 4th Gen. Haswell Core I7 4770k
    Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8 @ 2400
    GPU: Asus GTX780ti (reference model being that the digi+ model is not out yet)
    Cooling: Corsair H100i (with 4 SP PWM fans is push/pull), 3x Noctua PWM 120mm intake fans and 1x Noctua 140mm 3pin exhaust fan
    Storage: Sandisk (non-consumer) 256Gb SDD, 750Gb Hitachi HDD (pulled out of my laptop when replaced with 128Gb Samsung 840 Pro SSD, which I plan on moving into this build)
    Sound: Razer Tiamat 7.1 gaming headset
    Acc.: Asus Blu-ray Writer, Rosewill multimedia drive bay, handy USB 3.0 flash drive, Articsilver 5 and cleaners, plenty of air in a can,

    I'm going to get some pics up soon, some gameplay data/footage, and what it took ordering all this (which ended up being a huge pain in my ass)!

  2. #2
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Reputation
    13
    Posts
    63

    Looks good but you did not order an operating system. If you plan on Windows 8.1, the H100i needs a registry hack for the Corsair Link software to work properly. Have fun!

  3. #3
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    14

    I got a copy of windows 7 ultimate. I hate windows 8. Will never install again. Windows 8 is for tablets and touchscreens. Not gaming monsters.

  4. #4
    ROG Enthusiast Array RVxSpeed PC Specs
    RVxSpeed PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Rampage IV Extreme(Red)
    ProcessorIntel Core i7 3970x
    Memory (part number)CMD16GX3M2A1600C9
    Graphics Card #1Asus GTX 780 DC II OC
    Graphics Card #2Asus GTX 780 DC II OC
    Sound CardCreative ZxR
    MonitorAsus VG248QE
    Storage #1Intel 750 400 GB
    Storage #2Samsung 840 128 GB
    CPU CoolerCorsair H100i
    CaseCooler Master Cosmos II
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1200i
    Keyboard Logitech G15
    Mouse Logitech G400S
    Headset Logitech G35
    Mouse Pad Logitech
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z5500
    OS Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Network RouterLinksys WAG320N

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Reputation
    20
    Posts
    49

    Quote Originally Posted by Pez510 View Post
    I got a copy of windows 7 ultimate. I hate windows 8. Will never install again. Windows 8 is for tablets and touchscreens. Not gaming monsters.
    once upon a time my view to windows 8 was just like you. but,when i built my new rig this year. i faced troubling identifying the issue while in windows 7. it was giving random bsod along with random bug code every single time. but,when i have installed windows 8.1. the bsod bug check code was identified & was showing the same all the time. so, i was able to identify the problem. i would like to suggest you to buy windows 8.1. trust me it's worth it. if you are not buying because of the smart screen & e.t.c. there are some easy auto loaded script that can help you get rid of those like forever. if you change your mind feel free to give me a knock & i would be glad to help . also be advised corsair ax1200i has coil whine/electrical buzzing noise. it's unclear that whether it's factory faulty or all of the axi are just like that. some people gets the noise gone after rma'ing 3~4 times. some never get. it's still the best psu ever. but,just be careful on that.

  5. #5
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    14

    Quote Originally Posted by RVxSpeed View Post
    once upon a time my view to windows 8 was just like you. but,when i built my new rig this year. i faced troubling identifying the issue while in windows 7. it was giving random bsod along with random bug code every single time. but,when i have installed windows 8.1. the bsod bug check code was identified & was showing the same all the time. so, i was able to identify the problem. i would like to suggest you to buy windows 8.1. trust me it's worth it. if you are not buying because of the smart screen & e.t.c. there are some easy auto loaded script that can help you get rid of those like forever. if you change your mind feel free to give me a knock & i would be glad to help . also be advised corsair ax1200i has coil whine/electrical buzzing noise. it's unclear that whether it's factory faulty or all of the axi are just like that. some people gets the noise gone after rma'ing 3~4 times. some never get. it's still the best psu ever. but,just be careful on that.
    I wanted to appreciate your comment. I have 7 already. As for the psu, I haven't had an issue yet luckily.

  6. #6
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Mike Kelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Reputation
    14
    Posts
    438

    Quote Originally Posted by Breimeister View Post
    Looks good but you did not order an operating system. If you plan on Windows 8.1, the H100i needs a registry hack for the Corsair Link software to work properly. Have fun!
    ( dont mean to jump on thread, but this info is very important to me )

    Breimeistar, can you please give me more detail on this as I have problems with my H100i and its software.
    The manual is old that came with mine, but it shows three wires for intel going into fan info port, and mine only
    has just ONE wire and not three.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	only one wire.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	32474




    Please send me a link or explain exactly what to do please ?

    Thanks for your help.

    Corsair 650D case
    Intel i7-4770K 3.5 OC'ed to 4.422
    Asus Maximus VI Formula Motherboard
    NVIDIA GTX 680 04g-p4-2686 4 gigs of mem
    GSkill F3-2400C10D-16GTX CL 10-12-12-31 1.65V
    Corsair H100i cpu water cooler
    Corsair 1050 watt PSU
    Intel 520 series 120 gb SSD
    Kingston Hyper 120gb SSD
    WB Velociraptor 70 gb HD 10,000 rpm
    Seagate 2tb hybrid ssd/reg Hard drive
    Sony DVD read/write 40 speed
    Logitech YUY-95 illuminated keyboard
    Corsair M-60 mouse
    Razor Nostromo mini keyboard
    Creative Labs 7.1 T7700 speaker system
    Cyber Power 850 AVR voltage regulator and power backup
    Three Dell 24" monitors
    TYKE 73B - Triple Monitor Stand Free Standing Curved Arm
    OS= Win 8.1 Pro 64 bit


    http://forum.corsair.com/forums/show...ht=windows+8.1

    I found a few different things, but its confusing as many say if something is old and
    do this and not do that....... many updates here and there.
    Last edited by Mike Kelly; 01-19-2014 at 06:03 PM.

  7. #7
    ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array abvolt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Reputation
    41
    Posts
    1,131

    Wow thats some rig you're going to have.
    Current: MSI Xpower Gaming Titanium | 7700K | G Skill Ripjaws V 3000 16Gb | 960 EVO 500Gb | Intel 730 480Gb | Seasonic 1000 Platinum |
    NZXT X62 | Acer XB270HU | EVGA 1080 ti FTW3

    Secondary: R4BE | 4930K | G.SKILL 2400 16GB | Corsair AX 1500i
    Intel 730 240GB + 480GB | EVGA GTX780 ti sli kpe | Custom H20

  8. #8
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    14

    I actually built it. Have all the pics. Just no time to upload pics. Going to try to get them up tonight or tomorrow. For right now it's stock. I did some basic overclocking. I could get 4.6 on all cores(basic settings) to play battlefield, run cinebench, and aida 64 for 1 hour before she crashed. I also ran auto tune at 4.6 and she gamed good, but no stress tests.

  9. #9
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    14

    I want to apologize for the wait. Have a lot of family duties and with work during the holidays.....I've been busy! I'll get 'er started by after New Years for sure.

    -Happy Holidays Everyone!

  10. #10
    ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array Antronman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Reputation
    29
    Posts
    1,374

    Go for G. Skill Trident X 16gb. Cheaper than Dominator Platinum, same performance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •