cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$4k Asus/Corsair Haswell Build 12/2013

Pez510
Level 7
Hello Everyone!,

I'm going to start this build log with a description and move along from there!

I appreciate any feedback (agree or disagree), just keep it adult, polite, and a friendly discussion.

First off, this is my first PC build. I got into PC gaming about 1-2 years ago without knowing much. That's why I went out and bought me a Samsung Series 7 Gamer laptop. Still an awesome machine (with Intel Core I7 with 2.3Ghz/Intelboost@3.3, 16Gb ram, GTX675m, and beautiful Samsung 17" screen), but I wanted to build my own. Not only build my own, but as nice as a noob could think of, watching Youtube and making my own biased decisions.

With all that said, let's break it down!

Case: Corsair 900D
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
Mobo: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
CPU: Intel 4th Gen. Haswell Core I7 4770k
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8 @ 2400
GPU: Asus GTX780ti (reference model being that the digi+ model is not out yet)
Cooling: Corsair H100i (with 4 SP PWM fans is push/pull), 3x Noctua PWM 120mm intake fans and 1x Noctua 140mm 3pin exhaust fan
Storage: Sandisk (non-consumer) 256Gb SDD, 750Gb Hitachi HDD (pulled out of my laptop when replaced with 128Gb Samsung 840 Pro SSD, which I plan on moving into this build)
Sound: Razer Tiamat 7.1 gaming headset
Acc.: Asus Blu-ray Writer, Rosewill multimedia drive bay, handy USB 3.0 flash drive, Articsilver 5 and cleaners, plenty of air in a can,

I'm going to get some pics up soon, some gameplay data/footage, and what it took ordering all this (which ended up being a huge pain in my ass)!
15 REPLIES 15

Breimeister
Level 9
Looks good but you did not order an operating system. If you plan on Windows 8.1, the H100i needs a registry hack for the Corsair Link software to work properly. Have fun!

I got a copy of windows 7 ultimate. I hate windows 8. Will never install again. Windows 8 is for tablets and touchscreens. Not gaming monsters.

Pez510 wrote:
I got a copy of windows 7 ultimate. I hate windows 8. Will never install again. Windows 8 is for tablets and touchscreens. Not gaming monsters.

once upon a time my view to windows 8 was just like you. but,when i built my new rig this year. i faced troubling identifying the issue while in windows 7. it was giving random bsod along with random bug code every single time. but,when i have installed windows 8.1. the bsod bug check code was identified & was showing the same all the time. so, i was able to identify the problem. i would like to suggest you to buy windows 8.1. trust me it's worth it. if you are not buying because of the smart screen & e.t.c. there are some easy auto loaded script that can help you get rid of those like forever. if you change your mind feel free to give me a knock & i would be glad to help :). also be advised corsair ax1200i has coil whine/electrical buzzing noise. it's unclear that whether it's factory faulty or all of the axi are just like that. some people gets the noise gone after rma'ing 3~4 times. some never get. it's still the best psu ever. but,just be careful on that.
Rampage IV Extreme(Red)/ i7 3970x / 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinium 1600 / Asus GTX 780 DCU II- OC SLI / Corsair AX 1200i / Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB /Intel 750 400 GB/ Cooler Master Cosmos II / Corsair H100i

RVxSpeed wrote:
once upon a time my view to windows 8 was just like you. but,when i built my new rig this year. i faced troubling identifying the issue while in windows 7. it was giving random bsod along with random bug code every single time. but,when i have installed windows 8.1. the bsod bug check code was identified & was showing the same all the time. so, i was able to identify the problem. i would like to suggest you to buy windows 8.1. trust me it's worth it. if you are not buying because of the smart screen & e.t.c. there are some easy auto loaded script that can help you get rid of those like forever. if you change your mind feel free to give me a knock & i would be glad to help :). also be advised corsair ax1200i has coil whine/electrical buzzing noise. it's unclear that whether it's factory faulty or all of the axi are just like that. some people gets the noise gone after rma'ing 3~4 times. some never get. it's still the best psu ever. but,just be careful on that.

I wanted to appreciate your comment. I have 7 already. As for the psu, I haven't had an issue yet luckily.

Breimeister wrote:
Looks good but you did not order an operating system. If you plan on Windows 8.1, the H100i needs a registry hack for the Corsair Link software to work properly. Have fun!

( dont mean to jump on thread, but this info is very important to me )

Breimeistar, can you please give me more detail on this as I have problems with my H100i and its software.
The manual is old that came with mine, but it shows three wires for intel going into fan info port, and mine only
has just ONE wire and not three.

Please send me a link or explain exactly what to do please ?

Thanks for your help.

Corsair 650D case
Intel i7-4770K 3.5 OC'ed to 4.422
Asus Maximus VI Formula Motherboard
NVIDIA GTX 680 04g-p4-2686 4 gigs of mem
GSkill F3-2400C10D-16GTX CL 10-12-12-31 1.65V
Corsair H100i cpu water cooler
Corsair 1050 watt PSU
Intel 520 series 120 gb SSD
Kingston Hyper 120gb SSD
WB Velociraptor 70 gb HD 10,000 rpm
Seagate 2tb hybrid ssd/reg Hard drive
Sony DVD read/write 40 speed
Logitech YUY-95 illuminated keyboard
Corsair M-60 mouse
Razor Nostromo mini keyboard
Creative Labs 7.1 T7700 speaker system
Cyber Power 850 AVR voltage regulator and power backup
Three Dell 24" monitors
TYKE 73B - Triple Monitor Stand Free Standing Curved Arm
OS= Win 8.1 Pro 64 bit

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120962&highlight=windows+8.1

I found a few different things, but its confusing as many say if something is old and
do this and not do that....... many updates here and there.

abvolt
Level 11
Wow thats some rig you're going to have.
Current: MSI Xpower Gaming Titanium | 7700K | G Skill Ripjaws V 3000 16Gb | 960 EVO 500Gb | Intel 730 480Gb | Seasonic 1000 Platinum |
NZXT X62 | Acer XB270HU | EVGA 1080 ti FTW3

Secondary: R4BE | 4930K | G.SKILL 2400 16GB | Corsair AX 1500i
Intel 730 240GB + 480GB | EVGA GTX780 ti sli kpe | Custom H20

I actually built it. Have all the pics. Just no time to upload pics. Going to try to get them up tonight or tomorrow. For right now it's stock. I did some basic overclocking. I could get 4.6 on all cores(basic settings) to play battlefield, run cinebench, and aida 64 for 1 hour before she crashed. I also ran auto tune at 4.6 and she gamed good, but no stress tests.

Pez510
Level 7
I want to apologize for the wait. Have a lot of family duties and with work during the holidays.....I've been busy! I'll get 'er started by after New Years for sure.

-Happy Holidays Everyone!

Antronman
Level 10
Go for G. Skill Trident X 16gb. Cheaper than Dominator Platinum, same performance.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me