cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Xonar Phoebus - 5.1 still messes up with latest drivers (7.0.1.30)

Unorthodox
Level 7
Seems to be a fairly well documented issue that's plagued the ASUS ROG Xonar Phoebus since launch that STILL has yet to be corrected with the latest driver release of 7.0.1.30.

The problem is that when using a 5.1 setup and a new audio stream starts (say you run a game, or play a youtube video or open up an MP3), seemingly at random there will be an audible 'click' from the speakers. After that the 5.1 setup becomes all screwed up. The rear right speaker will cease to function, the rear left speaker will produce audio from the front left speaker etc.

The only work around is to close the current audio stream (i.e. close your game/audio player/web browser), switch to another speaker profile and then back again to 5.1.

It's pretty ridiculous that this bug still exists. Will we ever see a driver release that corrects this issue, because honestly I'm losing faith.
11 REPLIES 11

Ellewah
Level 7
I am sorry to say this but I was rather relieved when I read your thread because I just bought a new 5.1 headset (TRITTON Pro+ True 5.1) and was very disappointed when this happened to me and thought it was the headset's fault. I thought that because I owned the Razer 7.1 headset before and it did't have this issue, maybe because it was a 7.1 dunno.

Anyway they really should provide us with a solution, I already regret buying the sound card... let alone if it's not even functioning properly.

WTC
Level 7
Does change PCIe slot help? This doesn't look like a driver issue.

Ellewah
Level 7
Changing the PCIe slot didn't help. I wanted to say also that I am using Windows 8.1 x64 and this issue happened with 8_0_1_29 and 8.1.1.33 drivers.

Can we please have a respond from the support team regarding this issue? Even if saying its not fixable just tell us...

thedrunkenpumpk
Level 7
Thought I was going crazy

Having the same issues here with a 5.1ch headset

Am getting an A50 wireless 7.1 for christmas (hopefully) so will give that a go (it's optical out) and see if the issue still persists

Regardless, it's a huge oversight by the software guys for this to slip though (again) - from all the reviews I've read, switching between sound output settings (between 2ch, 5.1, quadrophonic or 7.1) never caused any issues - in fact that sort of positivity is what drew me to this card in the first place

I don't have a spare slot to change my soundcard to, as I am running an SLI setup, but from what I can gather it's a software issue that's causing the channels to get confused (in my case it's the front right channel that is dropping donw to really low levels)

Luxion
Level 7
I don't run into the channel mismatch issue as often as I did with my Phoebus's predecessor, the D2X, but I do still run into this every so often. I honestly have no idea what causes it, since it's so random; the only clue I'll get that it occurs is a soft pop from one of my speakers (usually left-rear).

WTC
Level 7
Does anyone have this issue with Windows default driver?

WTC wrote:
Does anyone have this issue with Windows default driver?

Do you mean by that when the headset is plugged to the sound card but without the Asus driver installed?

Yes. Test this HW without the ASUS driver software installed. This might be a quick way to tell if this is a HW issue or SW issue.

WTC wrote:
Yes. Test this HW without the ASUS driver software installed. This might be a quick way to tell if this is a HW issue or SW issue.

I just tested it out and after configuring the sound to 5.1 everything was working like a charm. Sound is not as good as with the Asus driver though, but the stupid channel swapping is gone.