ROG Member Array

Rebuild a RAID 1 possible??

Hello. I just had my old system take a dive and am building a new one with ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Rev 2.0 mobo. My old system had an identical pair of WD hdds in RAID 1 that I used for media and important data and they were unaffected by the crash. I want to set them up again, but I cannot find the option to do so in the option rom. I have tried setting the SATA ports to RAID and then tried selecting the two drives in the rom for RAID 1 application. However, it looks like it will erarse the MBR and I definitely don't want that to happen. I currently have all ports now set to AHCI and, of course, the system will only acknowledge one of the two drives as it sees a "name collision" of the former two mirrored drives and basically the second drives is just sitting there not initialized. Can this BIOS even rebuild existing RAID 1 sets?

Ron

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

If you have the SATA set to RAID and you get the order of the hard drives right then it is possible. But I have personally not had any luck doing so.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

ROG Member Array

Thanks HiVizMan for the response. I think I'll just stay with the single AHCI setup and remove the drive that isn't being recognized. On another note, which is the best location for the optical drives? On the same ports as the hard drives (SB controller) or on the Asmedia controller ports? I have two, one is a regular DVD and the other is a Pioneer BD player/recorder.

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

I tend to disable the Asmedia ports and only use the Intel SATA ports, that speeds up my boot time as well as giving me the Intel native SATA device performance.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.