cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming ROG Build

glenn_with_2_n_
Level 7

Hello everyone,

Looking for some feedback from the community and any recommondations anyone would have.

A little history about myself, been building computers prolly since I was 12, (23 now). I'm currently active duty enlisted in the us army, on my second and final deployment, then will be heading to college to earn a degree in computer engineering.

So during this deployment ive been doing a ton of research and just scopeing out new hardware along with functionallity thats become aparent. Ive purchased the majority of the parts and had them shipped state side to my parents house and I'm down to the final 2 componets.

My build outlook is to assemble a vertical heat dissapation gaming system that will be more then capable of handleing the latest and most imerrsive games from realalistic too 3D, and what ever great content thats soon to come. Im expecting this system to stay functional for about 4-6 years. Heres the parts purchased so far:

Case, PSU:

-SilverStone Fortress FT02
There's too few vert heat cases out and I'd say between functionallity and options with a decent size this competes with maingears shift, minus usb 3.0 case support

-SilverStone 1200W Strider Gold
I figure this will beast whatever is thrown at it and run with little strain

-SilverStone PP05 Short Cable for PSU Set
Should give me any length options needed with the stock PSU cables to keep everything managed nicely.

MoBo, Memory:

-ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z
This is going to be sweet, from what ive gathered soo far this will give me a broad range of options for testing and getting into overclocking

-CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB Memory Kit
There blacked out, look mint and have great reviews for gaming and overclocking

Storage:

-2 x Corsair 60GB Force Series GT SSD
plan to set them up in raid 0 for the OS and general programs

-2 x WD Caviar Black 64M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s HD
also plan to set up in raid 0 for media storage, videos music, games

OS & Add Ons:

-Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64 OEM

-LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray Burner

-LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray Player/DVD Burner Combo

-VisionTek Bigfoot Killer 2100 Gaming Network Card

-Creative PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium

-CORSAIR H60 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

So far thats whats waiting and to finish it all up is the CPU and GPU/GPU's
prolly will wait till im back state side to order the cpu which will be the 2600K i7
but between video cards is where im hung up, was originally planing 2 matrix gtx580's running sli but i dont think it would fit both with the add on cards since they take 2.5 in slots. since i just noticed the mars II 580 i think that will be my best best.
pricey but im looking for the build that will last in all areas. not saying thats what ill buy for my gpu but its got the apeal with out the lack of performance the 590 ended up with. the only hiccup for the mar II i need to find out is if it can fit in the case since its a 13" long monster haha.

right on, well thats all for now and thanks in advance :cool:

†he RoG Hell Spawn | GPU/ 2 x Matrix Platinum 580 GTX in SLI | MoBo/ Maximus IV Extreme-Z | CPU/ i7 2600k (Cooled by Corsair H60) | Case/ SilverStone FT-02 | Memory/ 16GB of Corsair Vengeance | PSU/ SilverStone 1200-G | OS/ Win7Ult | OS SSD's/ 2 x Corsair 60GB Force GT in RAID 0 | Game Storage/ 2 x WD 1TB 7200rpm HDD in RAID 0 | Media Storage/ 2TB WD HDD | Main Storage/ 256GB SSD | Sound Card/ Creative SB X-Fi Ti with Front Drive | Misc/ Sound Activated Lighting | ....well i'll be damned 😛
48 REPLIES 48

Cyrekk
Level 10
Unfortunately the FT02 only has room for 12" cards (12.2" with one of the lower fans removed) so you won't fit the MARS2 :(. It would also appear that you cannot do 2 Matrix's either. Looks like you need a dual slot card solution man :(.

Also, when you get this beast put together (looks good by the way!) I sincerely hope you plan on sharing pics with us.
New member? Introduce yourself here, learn a little of what we are about here, and refer to some simple rules here.
Though typically not required or enforced, here is a list of guidelines on proper forum etiquette.
[Work in progress]
The Crosshair GENE will come! - Show your support HERE!
SYSTEM SPECS

chrsplmr
Level 18
Welcome Glenn.. I second that, pics.
Im a huge fan of the nuclear blast proof Cooler Masters.
Room? You can put a shower in there. Enjoy.

chrsplmr wrote:
Welcome Glenn.. I second that, pics.
Im a huge fan of the nuclear blast proof Cooler Masters.
Room? You can put a shower in there. Enjoy.

Nuclear blast proof?
New member? Introduce yourself here, learn a little of what we are about here, and refer to some simple rules here.
Though typically not required or enforced, here is a list of guidelines on proper forum etiquette.
[Work in progress]
SYSTEM SPECS

Area_66
Level 11
Chrs the OP talk about a SilverStone case, SilverStone make case way bigger than Cooler Masters, I have a TJ-07 here with 3 rads inside and a TJ-11 waiting for a 2011 board.... as for the nuclear apocalypse, well I'm can stand on my corsair 800d , not sure I'm gone try on my Haf-X

chrsplmr
Level 18
U will push the fan screens in maybe..yikes.

glenn_with_2_n_
Level 7

hello peoples!,

yes i will defiantly get some pictures going for this build to show everyone
i think I’ve finally decided on going with one matrix gtx580, it meets the size limits of the case of 12" being @ 11.5, will take up the three pcie 16x slots in the middle of the board with the sound and network card sandwiching it. Looking at the other cards available it seems the matrix 580 will give me the most options, and straight up performance.

I’ve never played around with these 1x & 4x pcie slot, is there anything I should keep in mind for them? The last build I did was just a basic gaming rig, the mobo offered the agp slot along with a pcie slot, did decent for the time with a core 2 and 256mb xfx video card. haha all stuffed in this chincy xion case. think I swapped half the parts from school computers lmao good times

all in all I’m pretty excited about this build and the potential it offers. sad thing is you try configuring this set up from origin, maingear, or alienware and you will be looking at a $5000 to $7000 price tag. this build including the soon to be bought parts has come to a sub $3000 build. Ridiculousness, thankfully we have newegg and amazon.com haha
†he RoG Hell Spawn | GPU/ 2 x Matrix Platinum 580 GTX in SLI | MoBo/ Maximus IV Extreme-Z | CPU/ i7 2600k (Cooled by Corsair H60) | Case/ SilverStone FT-02 | Memory/ 16GB of Corsair Vengeance | PSU/ SilverStone 1200-G | OS/ Win7Ult | OS SSD's/ 2 x Corsair 60GB Force GT in RAID 0 | Game Storage/ 2 x WD 1TB 7200rpm HDD in RAID 0 | Media Storage/ 2TB WD HDD | Main Storage/ 256GB SSD | Sound Card/ Creative SB X-Fi Ti with Front Drive | Misc/ Sound Activated Lighting | ....well i'll be damned 😛

Cyrekk
Level 10
Sounds good man, the extra PCIe slots could be good for a sound card if thats your style, or possibly a RAID controller if you want some mega storage.

PSA: DO NOT STAND ON YOUR CM CASE!
[Work in progress]
SYSTEM SPECS

glenn_with_2_n_
Level 7
right on, havent looked into to much of the raid controller cards yet but its more or less for mass amount of storage right?

plus hopefully this mobo has a decent life span and isent replaced by another board or type in a 2-6 month span.... i hate that sh.... lol tech moves to fast at least for the current pricing

glenn with 2 n's wrote:
right on, havent looked into to much of the raid controller cards yet but its more or less for mass amount of storage right?

plus hopefully this mobo has a decent life span and isent replaced by another board or type in a 2-6 month span.... i hate that sh.... lol tech moves to fast at least for the current pricing

I am really just saying these are things you could do with the spare slots, I am in no way recommending them unless you have a particular reason for it.
[Work in progress]
SYSTEM SPECS