cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R4E Ivy Bridge-E Bios Update?

geoffj83
Level 7
Hi, I am currently doing my first build, and have the R4E with the i7-4930k CPU. (Ivy Bridge-E)

My question is about the BIOS update.

I bought the R4E about a month ago (dec. 4th 2013) from amazon.ca. I know that to use the new Ivy Bridge-E CPU that I might need to update my BIOS. But I can't find the version of my BIOS. I looked on the backside of the motherboard to find a few numbers (E311922) (:312) and with the bar code (xxxxxxxx5915). It doesn't seem like those match any codes I can find for BIOS versions.

So my question is: should I just connect it all together and see if it works? Than decide if I need to update my BIOS? The only reason I haven't done this yet is that I don't want to damage anything. I am not sure if trying to run an Ivy Bridge-E CPU without the proper BIOS with do any damage to anything.

Or should I just update the BIOS now with connecting the R4E to power, but nothing else. (no CPU or RAM etc.)?

I just don't want to update my BIOS if it's already the latest one, and have that mess something up.

Thank you.

PS. Will a 64GB usb 3.0 stick be fine? I'm pretty sure it's FAT32 and will be empty except with the needed file on it.

Thanks again.
6 REPLIES 6

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Long thin white sticker on top of your motherboard, the very last 4 digits on it are the BIOS version 🙂

HiVizMan
Level 40
The long white sticker with the shipping bios is on or near to the SATA ports and the 24 pin power connector.

If your board has the CAP bios it is an easy task to update the bios via the USB flashback method. See the guide in my sig.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

geoffj83
Level 7
So I found that my BIOS is 3602.

It should probably be updated, right? I couldn't find anything on the internet or Asus's website about which versions support what.

Also how do I know if I have a CAP bios??

**EDIT
I just read up on the "USB BIOS Flahsback GUIDE" in your tag and realized I have CAP bios.
Those instructions seem really easy. I am just going to go ahead and update now.
Wish me luck!

HiVizMan
Level 40
Good luck mate and post back here how it turned out for you.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

geoffj83
Level 7
Hey, my BIOS updated fine. I wasn't sure if I did it properly because it was really easy and only took like 1 and a half minutes. I'm surprised my new computer is working fine with no problems. I thought I'd have some error.

Thanks again guys!

HiVizMan
Level 40
All good mate enjoy your system.