cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time OC'r, need HELP!,please!-i7:3820,X79,SOCKET 2011

fyz1kz
Level 7
Hello ROG Forums!,

I want to get a little more out of my machine with a modest OC and was hoping you guys here could steer me in the right direction atleast to get me going. I tried a month or so ago using set OC profiles in bios to OC and i got a OC fail,boot loop etc, so i reverted bios back to default or safe settings and had just been using that.. also i had a gpu fault which made me think my attempt at an OC had killed it as it was around the same time, but i RMA'd my gpu and its been good..but i am still paranoid about touching the R4E OC profiles as i thought they would have been a one click good to go system, i KNO im a bad noob!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated- I can post more info if needed.

My specs:

Case --CORSAIR OBSIDIAN SERIES™ 650D GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)-- Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-3820 (3.6GHz) 10MB Cache
Motherboard-- ASUS® RAMPAGE IV EXTREME: INTEL X79, SOCKET 2011, R.O.G
Memory (RAM)-- 16GB KINGSTON HYPERX GENESIS QUAD-DDR3 1600MHz X.M.P(4 x 4GB KIT)
Graphics Card-- 4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 680 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
Power Supply-- CORSAIR 650W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX650 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE
Processor Cooling--TITAN FENRIR EVO EXTREME HEATPIPE CPU COOLER
32 REPLIES 32

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello there.

The first thing I would do is read some of the guides in the Rampage section.

Then I would start off quite conservatively and use HWmonitor to keep an eye on my temps.

Please do remember that your CPU is has only a partially unlocked multi. 43x is the limit of your multi.

However that does not mean you can not go higher. BUT I am not sure your cooler will allow much higher than that.

So try to enable the XMP profile as your mode of OC.

Set 43.x as the multi

Leave your voltage on AUTO for now and see what is set automatically when in OS.

Use any stress test to load your CPU and make a note of both the temps and the voltages that are set.

Once you have that you can either use offset mode or set a fixed amount of voltage.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:

Use any stress test to load your CPU and make a note of both the temps and the voltages that are set.

Once you have that you can either use offset mode or set a fixed amount of voltage.

Is there software or process i can use to stress so i can monitor temps volts in HWmonitor?

Also will my computer do anything at reboot after this? is there anything to look out for?

fyz1kz
Level 7
Thanks for responding so quickly i appreciate that.. i will do exactly that

fyz1kz
Level 7
Okay,

I had a good look at the Rampage Section and then tried your suggestion. When i enable the xmp profile i can't find where to input the multi number, it appears that some selections dissapear when this is selected.. my version is 2.14.1219.

I apologise in advance for my lack of knowledge on this,but i gotta learn somewhere :confused: so i appreciate any more advice from anyone..

Thx

HiVizMan
Level 40
Never apologies for asking how to get the most out of your system, this is ROG here you ask what ever you need.

To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

and yes at the top of all that is the Load profiles section.

Load Normal OC profiles
" Gamers " "
" Extreme OC low current
" Extreme OC High current

fyz1kz
Level 7
Yea my bios looks different to that, ive looked mine over trying to find the same or similar input boxes, im sure ive seen those when looking over my bio before,but i cant see them at all..
When i enable xmp this is what i see..

Ai OC tuner =x.m.p
CPU level up=disabled
xmp ddr3 1600 9-9-9-27-1.65v=profile#1
bclk freq=100.00
cpu strap=auto
clockgen fullreset=enabled

Turbo Ratio=auto
Cpu clock gen filter=auto
Mem freq=ddr3-1600mhz
xtreme tweaking=disabled
epu power save mode=disabled

>DRAM Timing control
>DIGI+ power control
>CPU perf settings
>GPU/DIMM post

Then its all the voltages underneath for extreme OV,bclk skew,vcore volt,dram volts,vttdr,cpu spread spectrum,pcie spectrum

>cpu tweakers paradise
>Mem tweakers paradise
>PCH tweakers paradise
>VGA "" ""

As i said im pretty sure i saw those core ratio values before when just browsing my bios,.. maybe i just cant see the woods for the trees

HiVizMan
Level 40
Post up a screen of the first part, have XMP profile as your mode of OC at the top of the screen.

F12 with a fat formatted USB stick, upload to the forum in the post using the image icon. The picture of the tree 🙂

fyz1kz
Level 7