cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best configuration for my fans?

The_White_Night
Level 7
Hello! I would really appreciate some expert opinion on the best way to install my fans. I have them hooked up in a semi-thoughtful way but I would like to know the best before I finish cable management so I can do it right instead of having to do it again.

Please keep in mind that I am also asking indirectly if Corsair Link Software outperforms the ROG FanXpert Software.

Components:

Mobo ~ Rampage IV Black Edition

Case ~ NZXT H630

PSU ~ Corsair AX1200i

Heatsink ~ NH-U12DXi4 120mm x2 120mm NF-F12 (2 Fans are attached to the heatsink) (Both positioned parallel to and exhausting to rear fan).

Rear Fan: Free included NZXT (140mm I believe) (Exhaust)

Front Fans: 2 Free 200mm NZXT Fans (Intake)

Bottom Fans: 2 NF-F12's 120mm (Intake)

Top Fans: 2 NF-A14's 140mm (Exhaust)

Extras: Corsair Link Fan Controller

I wanted the 2 A14's on the bottom but it wouldn't fit as it was hitting the bottom of the 2 front fans (only bad design feature of the case that I noticed! I ended up with a spare NF-F12 which could be used as a backup should one ever fail or maybe with one of the 2 HDD Pivot Slots.

There are multiple ways to do this but what is the best way to set it up?
4 REPLIES 4

Braindamage
Level 9
Like this you described is good, imo.
Positive air pressure is better, than negative imo. And its better to you use the higher placed fans as exhaust
maximus V formula, 3770k @ 4.8, evga 780 classified hydro cooper,corsair 750D, corsair ax860, corsair dominator platinum 16gb @ 1866,128gb 840pro samsung , 240gb samsung evo, asus xonar essence sound card stx

Watercooling: Ek nickel clear cpu waterblock, Ek D5 pump, EK 140 reservoir, ekwb fittings, 1 360mm black ice SR1 radiator, 1 280mm black ice SR1, 3 Noctua NF-F12, 2 Noctua NF A14, 3 Corsair AF140 quiet

I'm aware of that, what i'm asking is how I should connect the fans? Which to the board, which to the corsair link and which to the case fan controller on the back etc. All the Noctua fans are PWM, I think the board only supports a couple of PWM's. Should I utilize them at all or put it all to the corsair link for full control of all fans with that software or split it so I can control the Heatsink fans with Asus and the rest with Corsair.

Option Overload.

Braindamage
Level 9
You can use the corsair link and control them by cpu temperature... Asus suit was buggy for me..
maximus V formula, 3770k @ 4.8, evga 780 classified hydro cooper,corsair 750D, corsair ax860, corsair dominator platinum 16gb @ 1866,128gb 840pro samsung , 240gb samsung evo, asus xonar essence sound card stx

Watercooling: Ek nickel clear cpu waterblock, Ek D5 pump, EK 140 reservoir, ekwb fittings, 1 360mm black ice SR1 radiator, 1 280mm black ice SR1, 3 Noctua NF-F12, 2 Noctua NF A14, 3 Corsair AF140 quiet

The_White_Night
Level 7
I have no issues with the smoothness of Asus software but I didn't want to set it up for one app and lose out on a cool or useful feature that the other offers. I hear the Corsair Link software has had problems but they are at Ver. 2 now which I believe resolved a lot of issues. Would be nice to find a comparison review between Corsair Link and Asus Suite.