cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating Raid on Asus G74SX using pair of SSD

Retired
Not applicable
Hi all

I just got 2 kingston hyperx 240gb ssd and i want to swap the existing hardrives from my Asus g74SX and put in the kingston drives in raid mode or ahci. since im new i dont know whats the procudure or wher the raid driver disc. any suggestion is welcome. installing the disk can be done by me but how do i transfer my existing os and put these two in raid .
26 REPLIES 26

Chastity
Level 10
The HM65 chipset of your motherboard does not support hardware RAID, just AHCI. You need the PM67 chipset. If you are dead-set on using SSD RAID, then return your laptop and buy one with the PM65 chipset. Most people use 1 SSD with a standard HDD for storage.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

Retired
Not applicable
Chastity isnt the defacto Asus g74sx A1 having the pm67 chipset please . how do identify if mines pm or hm. and about these ssd in ahci do they still function as raid disk

Chastity
Level 10
You can use HWINFO64 to check all your hardware internals. CPU-Z will show you the chipset as well. All G74SX models come with the HM65 chipset. (Cougar-Point)

Retired
Not applicable
ok you saideaid was not possible under hm67, so what about under hm65 cougarpoint is it possible to raid these ssd in this laptop g74sx since mmy chipset is hm65 and if so where are the drivers prior to installation

your laptop should run in AHCI mode by default.

Retired
Not applicable
by default its ahci mode ok but how do i put these two ssds in raid in my laptop. please let me know if its possible or not. since i dont want to mess things up im asking for suggestions and your help ofcourse. if its tits the alternative in ahci then i must just put one ssd as primary after cloning the os from the old drive and use the other ssd as secondary. wiill it still run in ahci. help please

Chastity
Level 10
You appear to not understand Intel chipset naming:

For mobility chipsets, there's the H series, and a P series. The H series is the budget chipset, and does not have RAID support. The P series is the mainline set and has RAID. You have a H series, and therefore, no RAID support.

Now, why you would want to use 2 SSD's in a laptop, and not 1 SSD + 1 7200 RPM HDD is unknown to me.

Retired
Not applicable
thanks for your concern and clearing the doubt but i see two slots of hardrive when i remove my g74sx back cover. and the sole purpose of getting this is to push the laptop to its limit . for that i want to set these two in raid but if its a budget chipset asus put in the laptop then why did they make this a rog gaming laptop. i just dont get it. some of us realy like to take the advantage technology has to offer. and use it for gaming , 3dmax, crativity ps anything.

anyway i dont want to return the laptop. just want to know if its still ok to use two ssd 240 gb in the laptop besides why we use ssd in laptop you should know this by now chastity as we can save bettery lifee when consumption of power is low and use it in the most productive manner i like silence too no humming.

you're really not understanding what's being said, or you don't know how computer manufacturers work, one of the two.

when a laptop comes out, all the different models usually use the same board, either with different features enabled or disabled.

1) it's not going to be possible to run in Raid without your motherboard supporting it. if this is really that important to you, then you should've done your research before buying a +$1000 laptop, just like buying a car with a 4-cylinder instead of a v-6 because you never bothered to pop the hood.

2) the higher end models of that laptop that came with RAID from the factory are probably the ones that supported it. if you really HAD to have RAID, you should've bought one of them.

3) RAID is basically worthless in the context that you're using it in. you're not going to see a big speed boost from it.

4) install your OS on your SSD, put the rest of your software onto the 7200 RPM Hard drive you have, sell or return the other SSD.

5) be happy and when you ask questions, listen to the answer.