cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VI Extreme or something else?

Laki737
Level 7
Hi,

I should buy new CPU and MB these days. I thought to go with i7 4770k+Asus Maximus VI Extreme but i have second thoughts about it and i would like if it is possible that someone explains me something and give me some advice if possible.

At the moment i have i7-950, Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, 6GB 1600Mhz, GTX 690, CM silent pro M2 1500w, CM 412slim air cooler.

As i already mentioned i am considering i7 4770k and Maximus VI Extreme but something about those PICe slots in multi GPU is bothering me. This MB, when 1 GPU is inserted, goes with PCIE 3.0 X16 but when you have 2 GPUs it goes 2x8 instead of 2x16 like many other MBs in that class. So my question would be is there big difference if i would go with 2xGTX690 or 2xGTX780 or what ever but with this MB that will run them on 2x8 or is it better to go with something like G1 Sniper 5 that would run them on 2x16 or with some other Asus MB that has 2x16?

How big difference will it be with 2x8 and 2x16? Is that something that should be taken in consideration? Will it be big difference because 2xgtx690 is practically quad setup and installed on 2x8?

I hope i explained well what is my problem and question. I am not an expert when it comes to these little details that can make difference in rigs performance so anyone who
10 REPLIES 10

chrsplmr
Level 18
The Rampage IV Series has 2x16's as does the CrossHair [amd] V.

Welcome to ROG.c.

EDIT"""" ThankU for clearing that up HVM.

HiVizMan
Level 40
The CPU determines the PCIe lanes and the Haswell is not able to do so nativly. So you need a board with the Plex Chip to run 16x by two. Maximus 6 Extreme will.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Correct me if i am wrong but IV series are not for Haswell?

HiVizMan wrote:
The CPU determines the PCIe lanes and the Haswell is not able to do so nativly. So you need a board with the Plex Chip to run 16x by two. Maximus 6 Extreme will.

Does that mean that if you install 2 GPU in 1st and 3rd PICe slots ( manual says that is the correct positions slots for 2 GPU setup ) it will automatically be x16 on both of them since it has PLX chip or you need to activate that chip so 2x8 is changed to x16 and also i heard to PLX chip increase latency so it is better just to go with the MB that has x16 without PLX chip help?

Laki737 wrote:
Does that mean that if you install 2 GPU in 1st and 3rd PICe slots ( manual says that is the correct positions slots for 2 GPU setup ) it will automatically be x16 on both of them since it has PLX chip or you need to activate that chip so 2x8 is changed to x16 and also i heard to PLX chip increase latency so it is better just to go with the MB that has x16 without PLX chip help?

You will never even notice a difference between 8x + 8x and 16x + 8X never mind two by 16x.

I think it would be better all round if you told me what it is you wish to do with the system. That way I can more fully assist. Start by telling me what size screens you will be using 1080p by how many for example?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

And since i already have 1 GTX 690 maybe in the future i would rather go for 1 more GTX690 instead of selling my card and go for 2 new cards

HiVizMan
Level 40
The RIVE is LGA2011 IVY-E and SB-E

Laki737
Level 7
I have 2 screens...my primary screen for gaming is LG 29EA93-P that runs on 2560X1080 and the other is LG E2360 full HD resolution but i dont use it for games.

Since i have one of the best GPUs on the market GTX690 and i have 3-4 years old technology CPU and MB i wanted to buy something new to refresh the rig with components that will be current for at least next two years. Mainly PC is going to be used for games.

I am also planning to OC CPU to 4.5Ghz ( if i go with 4770K ) and therefore i wanted to buy very good MB like VI extreme is. Money is not that big problem so i wanted to buy high end parts but since i am going for it i want to be sure that MB and CPU are the best for that amount of money.

my current rig:
i7-950
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
Gigabyte GTX 690
Kingstone 3x2 1600Mhz
CM SilentPro M2 1500W
1.5TB
SSD 60GB
CM HAF-X

With new CP and MB i will go for 8GB 1866 or 2400Mhz and new better SSD

HiVizMan
Level 40
The M6E would be my suggestion for you, it offers the feature set of PCIe lanes that you want for the future.