cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75VW Laptop Plastic/Material Peeling

rbtlong
Level 7
Hello,

I'm having a peeling problem with my Asus laptop. (The pictures are depicted below.) There doesn't seem to be any kind of glue or chemicals holding them together. Both surfaces are smooth and clean. I have no idea how they are held together. I want to use glue, but I'm not sure which one to use. It seems like it is made to peel off cleanly, but still stick together very tightly. (It is actually hard to peel it off.)

I still have the 1 year warranty, but I heard many people end up with recurring issues or worsening issues after RMA'ing their laptops. I'm not sure I want to risk introducing new problems with this purely aesthetic problem.

So, do you guys have further insights into the problem?
Any suggestions?
9 REPLIES 9

Pitcher1
Level 9
also you can send to RMA, but i think if that is not affect your use, you don;t need to RMA, but if you think it is not happy for you, sure, you can send to RMA, but, i don;t know it will pay fee or not.

rewben
Level 13
hi @rbtlong, you're the first one who reported this. since your laptop still have warranty left, it's much better to send it to the service center and get it fixed (you should tell them clearly about this: it's an issue of physical laptop case, not system issues). if you're in the US, @cl-Albert can be contacted here for assistance.

there are some positive changes in asus centers recently. with the help from kind people like @cl-Albert, the probable issues can be further minimized.

wow thanks @rewben this sounds encouraging. i'll try it.

rbtlong
Level 7
well i sent the person cl-Albert a message immediately after[the post], but since then i have not heard a response. i was hoping for maybe a asus-certified glue or something. i guess i'll have to do my own research on this. anyone with expertise on plastic adhesives on this forum? the two surfaces are smooth . . . and it seems like they are made to be cleanly removable, but bonded very *VERY* tightly.

rewben
Level 13
@rbtlong, probably he's caught up with other things. for the time being, you can read the rma guide.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
@rbtlong, not sure if you saw them, but I sent replies on 12/26 and 12/27, but just resent them today if you want to check again.

Anyway, to summarize you're probably looking at the 2 options below if you have any interest in sending in the notebook for this.
1. Contact U.S. ASUS support at http://www.service.asus.com/#!consumer/csn9 and just get it taken care of through them if you like what you hear, but I'm guessing they can't determine warranty status until you send in the notebook or may assume it is out-of-warranty.
Request the RMA number anyway even if you don't plan to send it to the repair office they set up.

2. I can help you get it to my office for repair if you're interested, but we have more limited capabilities, so it can slow things down, but I can keep a better eye on it if you expect to run into any problems.
Also, haven't talked to repair yet to find out if it will be covered under warranty.
If you arrange it with me, the RMA number you requested in option #1 above can be changed to go to my office if you want to go this route.

If your notebook is covered under accidental damage for select U.S. and Canadian notebooks and you don't mind using it for this issue, you probably don't even need to worry too much if it will be covered under warranty as long as it will be covered under the accidental damage protection:
http://www.service.asus.com/#!register-adp/c203q

Anyway, if you aren't able to receive PMs form me, it's going to be tough to arrange the RMA with me, so hopefully there aren't any problems with this.

Sorry ca-Albert, not sure why I didn't get the message. I will triple check next time.

My accidental warranty actually just ran out last month the (December). Is there a way I can still get an RMA # or proceed with this repair? If the cost is not too outrageous, I am willing to pay for it.

Thanks for the thorough email.

cl-Albert wrote:
@rbtlong, not sure if you saw them, but I sent replies on 12/26 and 12/27, but just resent them today if you want to check again.

Anyway, to summarize you're probably looking at the 2 options below if you have any interest in sending in the notebook for this.
1. Contact U.S. ASUS support at http://www.service.asus.com/#!consumer/csn9 and just get it taken care of through them if you like what you hear, but I'm guessing they can't determine warranty status until you send in the notebook or may assume it is out-of-warranty.
Request the RMA number anyway even if you don't plan to send it to the repair office they set up.

2. I can help you get it to my office for repair if you're interested, but we have more limited capabilities, so it can slow things down, but I can keep a better eye on it if you expect to run into any problems.
Also, haven't talked to repair yet to find out if it will be covered under warranty.
If you arrange it with me, the RMA number you requested in option #1 above can be changed to go to my office if you want to go this route.

If your notebook is covered under accidental damage for select U.S. and Canadian notebooks and you don't mind using it for this issue, you probably don't even need to worry too much if it will be covered under warranty as long as it will be covered under the accidental damage protection:
http://www.service.asus.com/#!register-adp/c203q

Anyway, if you aren't able to receive PMs form me, it's going to be tough to arrange the RMA with me, so hopefully there aren't any problems with this.

rewben
Level 13
hi @rbtlong, help is coming but please respond 🙂

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
No problem, rbtlong and just a reminder that you can reach me at cl-Albert (if you need any help to check and send private messages (PMs) through the forums, let us know).

Anyway, it's not as easy to arrange the RMA through PMs, so if you're in the U.S. or Canada, can you please contact ASUS support to request the rma number at http://www.service.asus.com/#!consumer/csn9 (be sure to have your notebook serial number ready)?

You can really make the arrangements yourself with ASUS support, but if you're interested in having me look into it more, send me a PM at cl-Albert with your rma number before you send back the notebook for repair and I'll check into it. Thanks.