cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sandy Bridge E and Socket 2011 motherboards coming yet?

jewie27
Level 7
With the latest news of Intel's Sandy Bridge E series processors due to release on November 15th, why haven't we seen any new motherboards on the market yet? They showed them at Computex 2011 but November is only 2 months from now. Is Asus releasing an ROG edition socket 2011 board? I might be interested in a socket 2011 board and Intel I7-3930X instead of getting the Crosshair V Formula and FX 8 Core cpu; depending on the benchmarks.
New ROG PC built Nov 2011:
Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z
Intel Core I5-2500K
(2) EVGA GTX 580 Superclocked in SLI
Corsair 600T
Corsair H100 Liquid CPU Cooling
Corsair AX1200 PSU
Corsair Force 3 128GB SSD for boot drive
8GB Red Corsair Vengeance @ 1600 Mhz 9-9-9-24
1.5 TB Western Digital Caviar Black
Asus 12x Blu-Ray Writer

Built my first PC at age 12, Pentium III @ 450 Mhz.
37 REPLIES 37

Area_66
Level 11
the benchmark, lol AMD is targeting Sandy Bridge the new 2011 is supose to be 46% more performing than a Sandy Bridge, but it will not be cheap of course

I already have enough for the new $500 Intel cpu and motherboard ready to go. Just want to know when the new boards are coming out from Asus.
New ROG PC built Nov 2011:
Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z
Intel Core I5-2500K
(2) EVGA GTX 580 Superclocked in SLI
Corsair 600T
Corsair H100 Liquid CPU Cooling
Corsair AX1200 PSU
Corsair Force 3 128GB SSD for boot drive
8GB Red Corsair Vengeance @ 1600 Mhz 9-9-9-24
1.5 TB Western Digital Caviar Black
Asus 12x Blu-Ray Writer

Built my first PC at age 12, Pentium III @ 450 Mhz.

Raja
Level 13
We will have boards at launch - cant say what models just yet.

-Raja

chrsplmr
Level 18
AMD/Intel war is about to heat up, eh?

Jaytheredneck1
Level 8
$500 is not by any means getting you an extreme cpu. Even the current 990X costs more than my truck for the cpu alone, the new one will likely cost more. Hell even the top ROG intel board costs more than your $500 budget.

However $500 WILL get you a CHV and a bulldozer.
Crosshair V Formula 990FX 0506 Bios - Phenom II X6 1100T - Gskill Sniper 1600MHz (4x4GB) - Saphire Radeon 6770 - OCZ Agility 3 60GB - WD Black 1TB - Cooler Master V6GT - Antec Dark Fleet 85 - Antec CP-850 - Windows 7 Ultimate 64

Area_66
Level 11
jaytheredneck , don't sell the fur of the bear before have kill it , We know nothing of Dozer ............ aside it's an Intel tread so go make your AMD fanboyish stuff elsewhere please. We are talking about real stuff here. A side until proof than I’m wrong a 2500k and 2600k is more powerful than a Dozer in many application, example; games don’t need more than 3 cores , And a nice GeneZ with a 2500k will cost way more ….. Also Intel will not only release Extreme Edition, they will have more affordable CPU that fit socket 2011, Jewie is talking about a $ 500 CPU not a CPU and a Board, and not an Extreme, with $ 500, chance are he will fine a socket 2011 CPU that fit his taste. What was the price of the i7-920 at release ?????

MarkedOne wrote:
example; games don’t need more than 3 cores

Why do I still keep seeing this line of garbage put out all the time in 2011? It may well be true if you're only playing crappy XBox ports, but nowadays I'm seeing lots of them making far more use of scaling across cores and not stopping at 3-4, but carrying on across more.

In the meantime though back to your guessing about CPU lines we haven't had the chance to play with yet.
MOBO: ASUS Crosshair V Formula BIOS Version: 0705
CPU: AMD 1100T Black Edition
RAM:Corsair Vengeance 2x4 GB (1600 MHz 8,8,8,24 1.5v)
PSU: Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 1200 watt
GPU: 2 x GTX 580
HDD: 3 x OCZ Onyx 2 240GB in RAID 0
ODD: LG BD-R/DVD-RW
CPU Cooler: Coolit ECO ALC

grok23 wrote:
Why do I still keep seeing this line of garbage put out all the time in 2011? It may well be true if you're only playing crappy XBox ports, but nowadays I'm seeing lots of them making far more use of scaling across cores and not stopping at 3-4, but carrying on across more.

In the meantime though back to your guessing about CPU lines we haven't had the chance to play with yet.

As far as I know, he's right. Need means requirement and I've never seen a title that required a quad core to run. Recommended perhaps, but not required. Also, despite improvements in multi-threading a lot of those multi-threaded games will still get a bigger boost from higher clocks than more cores. So while they might use extra cores if you have them, you'd be better off having fewer but faster cores. Show us all the titles that will run better on 8 cores @2GHz than a 3GHz quad core(based on a couple of my boxes).

That said, my recommendation for current purchases is a decently speedy quad core. I don't see game development outstripping quads anytime soon and having a decent clock speed will cover the vast majority of titles that will really only exploit one or two cores.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

grok23 wrote:
Why do I still keep seeing this line of garbage put out all the time in 2011? .

I'm gone make you a MarkedOne garbage reply..... what I means with 3 cores is it will not use more than 100 % cpu usage if you use a 3 cores, so do the math; 75% of 4 cores and that's make only 50% on 6 cores. So no need for a 6, 8, 10 or 12 cores for gaming, as Xero said cores speeds not number of them is the key. Now if you talk about VM , that's a different story as we add the frequency of each cores to compute the capability of the build

so I use a i7-2600k and a i7-965 extreme edition for my gamings PC , for my Workstation I use my 990x 6 cores as I do more VM on it. ( actually a i5-2500k will be more than enough for my gaming build, but I still throw some VM on it.