cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750 Win 8.1 hanging on Shutdown FIX

hmscott
Level 12
Update: The hang was traced to BT, and the good news is it isn't the BT driver per se, it is the BT features that get turned on every time you update the BT driver.

I usually disable all of these because I know I don't want them on, but the last time I did a Wifi update the BT update came along in the package and I didn't take the time to go through the BT options dialogs to disable everything.

Via the systray BT icon => Settings - turned off everything I don't want on, and quick reboot came right back 🙂

BT features turned off:
1) Options Tab => Notification "Alert me when a new Bluetooth device wants to connect"
2) Share Tab => Turned off "Allow remote devices to browse, send, and receive pictures, music, and other files"
3) Share Tab => Turned off "All remote devices to use the printer connected to your computer"
4) Sync Tab => Turned off "Allow Bluetooth devices to send you PIM items..."

A BT driver update shouldn't change your BT user preferences - especially ones that open up your security!

Anyway, not sure which one causes the hanging, but I don't want any of them on anyway 🙂

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These instructions on disabling Hibernation and Fastboot aren't the cure for slow shutdowns, but they aren't a bad idea anyway - at least for me my boot time goes from 5 seconds to 10 seconds, and I gain back 24GB of C drive space.

Good news, I just turned off Fastboot in the BIOS, after already disabling Fast Startup in Power Options, and immediately my hang at shutdown/restart problem vanished. 🙂

The other good news is that I regained 24GB of disk space by turning off Hibernation.

Here is how to do it. Disable Hibernation in Windows to disable Fast Startup, then go into the BIOS and disable Fastboot in the BIOS.

Disable Hibernation in a cmd shell - Right click and Run as Administrator:

c:\ powercfg -h off

That will disable Hibernation and also disable Fast Startup in Power Options as it depends on Hibernation to work.

Now go into the BIOS and Disable Fastboot.

That is all. You should now be able to restart/shutdown without a long delay.

After disabling Hibernation, Power Options => "Change what the power buttons do":

23 REPLIES 23

hmscott
Level 12
Well, it did fix it for a day... until I ran my weekly ccleaner and norton utilities 16 clean up, and now the problem is back.

Will update later.

Updated first post with currently working solution...

Nehmia
Level 9
you should never disable hibernation in Windows 8 or 8.1, it is used for the Fast Boot feature
ASUS G750JX-CV050H
CPU: i7-4700HQ @ 2.40 GHz.
Memory: 32 GB DDR3 1600 MHz. Hynix RAM
Graphics: GeForce GTX 770M 3 GB GDDR5 RAM
Storage: 256 GB LiteOn LCM-256M3S SSD + 1 TB Seagate Momentus ST1000LM024 5400 RPM HDD
Screen: 17.3" Full HD 3D Glossy Screen
Router: ASUS RT-AC68U
Security: Webroot SecureAnywhere Antivirus for PC Gamers

Nehmia wrote:
you should never disable hibernation in Windows 8 or 8.1, it is used for the Fast Boot feature

I always turn off Hibernation, with an SSD boot drive I don't want to give up 24GB of space just for a slightly faster boot time. Even a cold boot only takes 9-11 seconds, what am I gaining by an increase of 5-6 seconds in boot time when I am losing 24GB of SSD space and waiting 2-3 minutes for a restart/shutdown?

Nice work you fixed this problem
I dit today a clean instal with this and the windows8.1 boot problem is gone
but you may add also that everyone need to download the WLAN 8.1 driver and Bluethoot 8.1 driver from the asus site becaus windows 8.1 instals after upgrade a strange version of the 2 and they slow down back the restart I removed with ccleaner the 2 drivers and dit a instal from the asus site drivers now, also I am happy with the 24 GB extra disk space on my SSD + with the fast boost off it is still very fast now only a fix for some video drivers for the 3D screen and then i can finnaly start a game on this thing

Faba002 wrote:
Nice work you fixed this problem
I dit today a clean instal with this and the windows8.1 boot problem is gone
but you may add also that everyone need to download the WLAN 8.1 driver and Bluethoot 8.1 driver from the asus site becaus windows 8.1 instals after upgrade a strange version of the 2 and they slow down back the restart I removed with ccleaner the 2 drivers and dit a instal from the asus site drivers now, also I am happy with the 24 GB extra disk space on my SSD + with the fast boost off it is still very fast now only a fix for some video drivers for the 3D screen and then i can finnaly start a game on this thing

Faba002, good to know about the Wifi/BT driver updates needed after 8.1 update, and I think you just did let everyone know 🙂

You can also gain back more space by disabling paging by setting the pagefile size to 0. The more unnecessary ssd/disk IO you can disable the better your gaming experience is - nothing else competes for IO requests.

Ho oke thanks but i still cant play games ... with this old drivers .. can you tell me what version your running i cant play any new game here ;s

arg, no sorry , I can't help you on this and got no more issue on my laptop

I want to make a BIG BIG thanks to Faba002
I just put Windows 8.1 and make all the update, so I make lot of reboot
And just after installing the "optional" update, I had the Long reboot on my G750JH-4103H (not 3D)
I passed from 10 second with SSD to 2,30 mn
I tought it was a screen drivers issue because of the black screen
I'd just download the WLAN and Bluetooth drivers on ASUS, uninstall the "optional update W8.1" ones, make a ccleaner and finally reboot before install them. And the SPEED reboot is now there again !!
Thank you Faba002

Perhaps there are multiple slow reboot issues, but people who have put W8.1 + update need to try this.