cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73JH Randomly Goes to Sleep Mode... WHY?!

nazgull2k1
Level 7
Ok, here is EXACTLY what is happening...

When Im using the laptop.. playing a game, having a good time.. no problems at all.. Laptop works like a complete dream.

Now... I plugged in my external Monitor via the HDMI port.. and play my games.. at random during playing.. the whole Laptop goes into sleep mode.

This is during ACTIVE use of the laptop, and ONLY when connected via external monitor via HDMI.

Here's the other thing that is REALLY odd... IF I leave the laptop lid open (Even tho the display is disabled via windows (Show Only on Monitor 2) .. No problems at all. Laptop will run fine till doomsday.

This happens ONLY when the lid is closed, and ONLY while playing on an external monitor.

All power settings check out, (basic and advanced) this thing is NEVER EVER EVER supposed to go to sleep mode. Ever. At all. For ANY reason.

Commence the head scratching, because Im out of ideas here.
7 REPLIES 7

nazgull2k1
Level 7
Also - if it helps at all.. apparently Im not the only person with this problem. It would seem that quite a few others are experiencing the exact same issue, but also have been completely unable to find any kind of fix for it. Im hoping perhaps someone here will know of a definite solution..

and if its relevant at all.. BIOS 213 *IS* installed.... but still no advanced power options in BIOS to configure.

nazgull2k1
Level 7
HWMonitor is showing a peak temp of about 76 Celcius for all cores and GFX if thats relevant.

nazgull2k1
Level 7
It just did it again, right as the CPU hit 81 Celcius (177F)

Im guessing this is a heat issue.. I even have a laptop cooler running.. and its reaching these temps during FFXIV ARR

nazgull2k1
Level 7
I believe it was a heat issue... (as I have mentioned in another thread, I bought this laptop used from a lady that had to weigh at least 400 lbs and had at least a dozen or so cats... ) upon breaking down the laptop (which was EXTRA fun. ) I discovered both fan vents were basically completely blocked off with about a half inch of pure dirt and cat hair. I also discovered whoever pasted this from the factory was either A) A complete mental midget or B) had 1 hand w/ no thumb on it. It was literally smeared EVERYWHERE, completely dried out, and took me almost an HOUR to completely clean it all out... ugghh.. ) I replaced both fans with new ones... and now laptop with lid closed is running at 55 Celcius, and peaking around 68 Celcius.

I've re-set up my earlier configuration (external monitor) and am now going to close the lid and start FFXIV! Will let you know...

Pitcher1
Level 9
so when you clean laptop and replace two fan, the problem whether is fix now.
if no, what is power manager do you use? asus or microsoft? please try reinstall asus power 4 gear or uninstall power 4 gear, use microsoft power manager to try it.

nazgull2k1
Level 7
I just wish I had thought to take pictures of what I saw when I took this thing apart. First off, both fans were cheap garbage, I replaced both of them with quality aftermarket fans.

But the REAL fun was the thermal paste job you guys did. It LOOKS like someone took a McDonalds condiment bottle and just sprayed.. from across the room.. blindfolded. It literally was absolutely EVERYWHERE. The WHOLE Processor chip is literally BURIED in white 1" thick pile of dried out hardened goop. Not just the part that is supposed to be covered.. I mean the ENTIRE Chip. ALL of it. It is even WORSE on the graphics card.. I actually couldnt remove ANY of that nasty crap because I was terrified at breaking something.

I can tell you this much for sure.. if this is how your company puts out products, this will be the last.. and I mean very very very LAST laptop I buy with an ASUS/RoG logo on it. My 8 year old son could have done a better job. You are supposed to use a tiny amount of thermal paste, not 10 friggen POUNDS of it. When your customers have to use a butter knife to PHYSICALLY SCRAPE the massive amounts of paste off the Copper plate, because the cleaner isnt even making a dent, you KNOW something is very very wrong here.

AFTER Cleaning, Replacing both fans, and doing a PROPER thermal paste job... Laptop Temps are holding at a cool 55-65 Celcius. No problems, no shutdowns, no overheating.

Honestly, Im just glad only my wife and I were there to see it.. cause I was honestly EMBARRASSED that I even owned this thing, and your company should be too.

So I am having the same issue. G73jh goes to sleep when plugged in to HDMI, playing a game and the lid is shut. I do not think this is a heat issue as it does not occur if the lid is left up or if i am playing on the laptop monitor as opposed to connected to HDMI. Did re pasting solve this issue for you?

My laptop is not full of cat hair, and i did a re paste about 3 years ago. This laptop has seriously been nothing but a hassle. Asus should offer some kind of trade in towards a newer model credit for all the trouble people have had with this machine.