cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick and general questions - easy help

Ilovegaming
Level 7
Hey guys,

Here's the thing: I'm a casual gamer and, after backing up some money, I finally decided, after some research, that the Asus ROG G750JX was the best option for me (it really prices out).

I'm aiming to play Diablo 3 and some other games (Witcher 2, Torchlight 2, SMITE, hopefully ME4) for 2-3 hours on a daily basis (or even less).

I took some time to read many posts and reviews about it, but since I'm not a technician and don't have much general computer knowledge, I was wondering whether you could me help a little bit. I know the models are pretty new and bugs are still starting to show up, but I think my questions aren't that specific:

a) About the SSD: is it really worth installing it for games? I found some posts here and a video on youtube that seem enough for the installation process.

b) What are the general precautions to make a gaming notebook last? Is using an air compressor necessary every week or so? About the thermal paste (sorry, I have NO idea), should I exchange it every year or so? I have a nice cooler that I use on my notebook and where I live ain't that hot or dusty, so not climate problems I guess.

c) I'm originally from Brazil (yeah, learned English by myself, my bad :x) and, even though I'm buying it at BestBuy with the insurance policy, I was wondering how long does this kind of notebook (on my daily basis playng hours) last for good gaming experience... 2-4 years?

Thank you so much for your attention and merry X-Mas everyone (:
5 REPLIES 5

domu221
Level 7
I took some time to read many posts and reviews about it, but since I'm not a technician and don't have much gener
a) About the SSD: is it really worth installing it for games? I found some posts here and a video on youtube that seem enough for the installation process.

I transitiones from the included 1TB HDD to two 160_GB intel SSDs and man how i love it. it elimitates loading times in games and when you transfer files to and from the two SSDs and in mulitplayer gaming, you get to play ahead pf everyone when the next level reloads.

Ilovegaming
Level 7
Thanks!

What about the other two questions?

Maxter
Level 9

- Not really worth installing for games. Loading games will increase loading speeds (instead of 5 seconds, it might be 3 - worth it really?). Once game is loaded on memory, nothing is different than from SSD. The regular spinning hard drive has a high density head, so transfers of information are rather fast.

b) What are the general precautions to make a gaming notebook last? Is using an air compressor necessary every week or so? About the thermal paste (sorry, I have NO idea), should I exchange it every year or so? I have a nice cooler that I use on my notebook and where I live ain't that hot or dusty, so not climate problems I guess.

- To make it last, don't drop it or spill your Monster on the keyboard. That's it. If there is a hardware failure because of use (I've had mobo burn on me), either you replace it (get insurance) or replace the laptop. This usually doesn't happen for at least 2 years or more. Air compressor once a month I do (care when you do it. Make sure laptop is cold so you don't move the thermal paste). No need to put new thermal paste unless you want to void the warranty (I would wait until warranty is gone before this). No need for cooler for this laptop. Its engineering is pretty good. It runs cool and quiet (I'm impressed, coming from the 1st iteration, the G1S).

c) I'm originally from Brazil (yeah, learned English by myself, my bad :x) and, even though I'm buying it at BestBuy with the insurance policy, I was wondering how long does this kind of notebook (on my daily basis playng hours) last for good gaming experience... 2-4 years?
- My G1S (the first ROG laptop), lasted me 6 years. DO get the best buy warranty and when it expires in 2-3 years, they will offer an extension on it. GET IT. That's how I got my G750. Mobo on G1S kept burning every 2 years and they kept replacing (I'm ok with it), then it was cheaper to give me a G750 (bought insurance for this too). Game plugged in. Battery is not strong enough to keep CPU and GPU running 100%, so you'll have poor response gaming on batteries (though I do it with older weaker games). This laptop should last you a while for gaming. My older desktop has a GTX 460 and overclocked. Still running even the latest games, so this one should last at least 4 years if it doesn' fail first.

Ilovegaming
Level 7
Thank you so much for that!

Maxter
Level 9
If you like the answer you could click on the little sun-looking icon on the bottom left of my answer to "give reputation" 😄 Cheers!