Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Question Help with my first build

Hello everyone!

I'm going to be building my first gaming desktop soon, and am rather inexperienced in the field, so I thought I'd get some advice from you guys.

These are the parts I have chosen: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/AstroCow/saved/2SbT

Is this the optimal build for the price?
    The intention would be to be able to run demanding games such as Battlefield 4 on high settings.

The case is the CM Storm Enforcer.

Thank you!

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array Antronman's Avatar

The mobo should be a Maximus VI Hero. Or else why would you ask on RoG? Upgrade to Trident X 8gb 2400MHz RAM. Your GPU is fine. The PSU, my god. Do not get that piece of garbage. Find a fully modular, 80Plus Gold certified or better 750w + PSU. You should also be using the standard edition of Windows 8.1, and not OEM.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array WeRNothiNg's Avatar

The overall build looks decent, although I would not get a Gigabyte motherboard. This is, in fact an Asus ROG forum. We are all(I am pretty sure) Asus fanboys. I am a loyal Asus customer. I build a lot of computers for others, and I often have to install what the customer wants. I can't let my Asus loyalty run off my customers. If you are getting that board, then a gigabyte thread would be the best place for this post. I would also get the K series i5. An i5 is plenty capable of maxing out any game on the market running stock clocks, but the K series will give a bit of flexability if you do decide to OC in the future. A SSD for your operating system would be the worth buying as well. A 120gb will do.
    **i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz~ Cooler Master V8 ~ Asus Maximus V Formula ~ G Skill Sniper Gaming Series 16GB DDR3-1600 ~ Thermaltake Black Widow 850W 80+ Bronze ~ Kingston HyperX 3K 120G SSD ~ 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB
    ~ WD 500GB ~ 2x ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti TOP 2GB ~ Philips 1080p 39"**

[IMG][/IMG]

ROG Member Array

I took your modifications into account and this is the result of that:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/user/AstroCow/saved/3fuD
    It looks nice, but puts me about $171 over my budget.
    I need to stay as close to $1000 as possible.
    Is there anywhere that I can save some money without losing too much performance?
    Also, will the stock fan do fine for the CPU if I don't plan on overclocking it?

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array Antronman's Avatar

If you want to stay under budget, find a cheap, but good monitor. Unless you plan on OCing, the K series is not a necessity. Aside from that, not much I can do I'm afraid. Parts cost as much as they cost, and performance is performance. If all you're going to be doing is playing BF4 on high (not max) settings, that build is ok, except for the lack of a cooling system. You can find cheap, high performance coolers quite easily though. The Zalman CNPS2X or CNPS90F coolers are quiet, affordable, and pretty good. Not for OCing, but ultra quiet and great cooling. Stock coolers are not very good, because they are noisy and bulky. You can save money by shopping local. Especially if you're not using Amazon Prime free shipping for every part. And with online tax in some states like mine...
    Last edited by Antronman; 12-26-2013 at 10:11 PM.

ROG Member Array

What'd be the best CPU for it, downgrading from the K series?

ROG Member Array

What'd be the best CPU for it, downgrading from the K series?

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array abvolt's Avatar

Your build looks really good i'm sure you'll enjoy it good luck & welcome to the board dude..
    Current: MSI Xpower Gaming Titanium | 7700K | G Skill Ripjaws V 3000 16Gb | 960 EVO 500Gb | Intel 730 480Gb | Seasonic 1000 Platinum |
    NZXT X62 | Acer XB270HU | EVGA 1080 ti FTW3

Secondary: R4BE | 4930K | G.SKILL 2400 16GB | Corsair AX 1500i
    Intel 730 240GB + 480GB | EVGA GTX780 ti sli kpe | Custom H20

ROG Member Array

Found this monitor: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2qvNL
    Brings me down to $1111

ROG Member Array

Deleted due to accidental double-post, see next page for revised post.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast