cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2014 - I want a new gaming PC.

Onarakiru
Level 7
Hey guys, I have some experience in building a PC but currently don't have an idea what would be the best for my budget. I know buying premade desktops from companies are more expensive than just building it on my own. So I would need some advice on which parts to get. The base budget I have is just starting as I look to expand and further upgrade as time passes.

Budget: $1000 - $1500 (This is just a base budget for a start build, I would be upgrading over time. The budget is also just for the tower itself, it doesn't include the accessories like the monitor or keyboard or even the case itself, those would fall under a different budget.)

Main uses of intended build: PC Gaming - I would like to be able to play Battlefield 4 on high resolution with high details.

Parts required: I would need a whole new build. I also would prefer having NVIDIA as my GPU, and Intel as my CPU.

Monitor resolution: I would like to have a dual monitor set-up. Preferably 1080p HD resolution on two 26" monitors.

Storage requirements: 1TB should be enough for me. I only have a handful of games that I would play at a time.

Will you be overclocking: I have no experiencing in OC, though I would like to get some advice on a build that could let me OC. I do know the idea of having a better cooling system installed if I do plan to OC my system.

Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers): For the mobo, I would like to get one that I can later on upgrade as far as like additional RAM, and then SLI.

Extra information about desired system: I guess I'm new into the whole PC enthusiast thing but it has always been my desire to be a part of it. I would just love to have a computer that can run games like Battlefield 4 or any other game that requires heavy computer resources to run at higher details. I would appreciate all the advices! Have a great one!
10 REPLIES 10

Antronman
Level 10
Why would you prefer Nvidia? If you are on a budget deal, intel and Nvidia is not you best bet...and even then, Radeon GPUs like the R9 290x are often better than their Nvidia counterparts. But oh well.

CASE: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer or Corsair Obsidian 650D
PSU: Seasonic Platinum 860
MOTHERBOARD: Maximus VI Hero
CPU: intel Core i5-4670k
GPU: Radeon R9 280x
RAM: G. Skill Trident X 8GB @2400MHz
COOLING: Corsair H100i, 1 Air Series 140mm Fan for input.
STORAGE: Western Digital Blue 1TB @7200rpm

Hey, don't tell me I got it wrong with the Radeon GPU. You give me a price cap, and usage, I give you performance.
If you want high FPS, you need good monitors. Start with 1 Asus VG248QE, then AFTER you SLI/CrossfireX, get the second one.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

kkn
Level 14
nvidia, go for 770 or normal 780. ( stock coolers )
see what price range they are in.
the expensive part in a build always ends up on the GPU it self.

Onarakiru
Level 7
If I go for a $2000 budget for the tower alone. Would that scale me better in getting a i7 CPU + NVIDIA GPU setting for future SLI?

I really have a flexible budget here. Though I also want to get the best bang for the buck.. I had a bad experience with ATI Radeon GPU that's why I tend to stay away from it.

So if I up my budget to $2000.. What possible builds can I get? I'm trying to get a base build started with large possibilities of upgrading it as newer hardware comes out in the market.

sectionate
Level 12
wait till the summer before you start purchasing products
Crosshair IV 1090T 4093.7 - Crosshair V FX - 8350 Batch # 1243PGT 4.422MHz - 4816.08 MHz 1.5v - GSKILL F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR(x2)1087.6 11-12-10 1.5volts - ViewSonic VX2439wm - Acer GD235HZ - SyncMaster P2350 - PowerColor Red Devil RX 480 8GBD5-3DH/OC - Current Mode: 5760 x 1080 - (retired) ASUS GTX660DC2O2GD5 - Nvidia 3D Vision Wired - HAF 932 - Corsair HX850 - Corsair H100i - latest quakelive.com - Day thirteen 60fps - as always I'm powered by Futurelooks.com

Antronman
Level 10
If you up the budget to 2000USD, you could get an LGA2011 build.

CPU: i7-4930k
MOTHERBOARD: Rampage IV Gene
MEMORY: Ripjaws Z 16GB (4x4GB) 2400MHz
STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
GPU: Nvidia GTX 770 (or a better R9 280x)
COOLING: Corsair H100i
PSU: Corsair AX760i

Finding the best deals possible, total comes to around 2000USD (Shipping Included).

Onarakiru
Level 7
That's what I was planning. By summer I would have around $3000 to spend. Is there a website where I can browse for different builds at different price ranges?

I'm leaning into this build so far. I need input on it though:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4930K Ivy Bridge-E 3.4GHz LGA 2011 130W Six-Core
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition
MEMORY: G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400
STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
(SSD will be added too.)
GPU: ASUS GTX780TI-3GD5 GeForce GTX 780 Ti
COOLING: Corsair H100i
PSU: CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200 (CMPSU-1200AX)

Antronman
Level 10
Go to pcpartpicker. Click "system build". And if you have a 3000USD budget, Instead of the Seagate Barracuda I would recommend the Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SSD.

or you can go to Logical Increments

http://www.logicalincrements.com/

Onarakiru
Level 7
Perfect thanks for that website. Should I wait till summer to get those parts that are at the $3000 budget range? I really want a powerful PC to start with again.