cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition Per Core Overclocking Question

b00gjuice
Level 8
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to overclock my 4930K CPU so that core-1 runs at 4GHz to speed up the Game AC4 since it mostly uses CPU core 1 at 100% and not very much on the other cores.

I set the AI tuner to "Manual" and then CPU Ratio to "Per Core." Then I set my cores as follows:

1 - 40
2 - 39
3 - 35
4 - 35
5 - 35
6 - 35

Now; when I run AC4, Task Manager only shows the CPU at 3.5GHz. How do I know that core 1 is at 4GHz or not? Also, am I even doing this right?

I don't care that cores 3-6 are slower since AC4 doesn't use them and I don't want to have to up my Vcore by setting "sync all cores" to 4GHz on each core.

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4

HiVizMan
Level 40
What you could do is open CPUz and you can select which core CPUz reports.

RIght click on the texxt Clocks - next to it you will see Core#0 you can make your selection there.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
What you could do is open CPUz and you can select which core CPUz reports.

RIght click on the texxt Clocks - next to it you will see Core#0 you can make your selection there.

Thanks, your suggestion got me on the right track to fix the problem. Originally I was trying to just overclock Core1 which AC4 rails at 100% usage. I found that Assassin's Creed 4 does not like more than 4 cores including hyperthreading. My i7 4930K has six-cores along with hyperthreading. So I disabled hyperthreading and set affinity to use only 4 cores and now the CPU usage is balanced among all 4 cores and no longer just rails the core1 @ 100% usage. If I enable even a fifth core, it goes back to railing Core 1 at 100%.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Cheers for that very elegant solution mate. I hope you post it up on the AC forums too.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Cheers for that very elegant solution mate. I hope you post it up on the AC forums too.

Ahh, a good idea. I found an existing thread on the problem and posted it there on the Ubi forums.