cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disk at 100%

Skylergator
Level 7
when i start my laptop (g750jw) up and start the task manager, under the "disk" reading, it is at 100% and stays at 100% for at least 10 minutes. is this supposed to happen? and if not, what can i do to fix this?

also, it varies A LOT. after it finally gets back down to normal levels, i can just be sitting there watching the task manager and the "disk" capacity will fluctuate from about 5% up to 80% while im not doing ANYTHING on it but watching the task manager. is that normal?
1 REPLY 1

hmscott
Level 12
Skylergator wrote:
when i start my laptop (g750jw) up and start the task manager, under the "disk" reading, it is at 100% and stays at 100% for at least 10 minutes. is this supposed to happen? and if not, what can i do to fix this?

also, it varies A LOT. after it finally gets back down to normal levels, i can just be sitting there watching the task manager and the "disk" capacity will fluctuate from about 5% up to 80% while im not doing ANYTHING on it but watching the task manager. is that normal?

If you use task manager you should be able to find the service / app / process that is taking up all the disk IO. If you can't from the Processes Tab, go to the Performance Tab and at the bottom click on Open Resource Monitor.

Usually it is a background process like Windows Search Indexing, I turn it off, or it can be media indexing by Asus DVD or Microsoft Media Center, or it can be a background anti-virus scan, disk defrag, or you are now a bot in an attack farm and your disk is filling up with credit card numbers 🙂

Turning off all the background stuff, including Windows update and other auto updater's - use Task Manager Startup Tab to disable them all, there is very little I keep running at startup:

On an SSD searching is fast enough in the current folder/tree so I turn off all indexing: