cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAM and SSD brand of ROG products

Bohound
Level 7
hey guys, might be around, but i want to ask what brand asus use for RAM and SSD's on Asus G750, or instead what brand do you recomend, i was thinking on upgrading my ram with A,data x2 8gb , and maybe also the same brand for SSD, if there is a tread with the answer already plz is somebody know point it out to delate this post, im also looking to a how to switch all system to the ssd instead of the factory included 1tb hdd, but i think that its on the sticky list, thank you
6 REPLIES 6

Zygomorphic
Level 17
@Bohound, the actual brands I am not sure, but I do know that they vary from system to system. That's a common practice among PC vendors, the multiple sources of components are, in order that the vendor can reduce the risk of supply chain failures impacting its computer output.

As to the brand you mentioned, they are quality parts, and so are perfectly fine for upgrading. There is no need to match the manufacturers when upgrading RAM, the important part is to match the specs (voltages, speed, and timings). Ditto for the SSD, any quality SSD is fine.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

hmscott
Level 12
Bohound wrote:
hey guys, might be around, but i want to ask what brand asus use for RAM and SSD's on Asus G750, or instead what brand do you recomend, i was thinking on upgrading my ram with A,data x2 8gb , and maybe also the same brand for SSD, if there is a tread with the answer already plz is somebody know point it out to delate this post, im also looking to a how to switch all system to the ssd instead of the factory included 1tb hdd, but i think that its on the sticky list, thank you

Bohound, A-data is a known brand, but I haven't used them. My Asus G750JH has Hynix RAM, HItachi 1TB HD, and SSD is SanDisk mSata 2x RAID.

I usually get Patriot memoy, and Samsung SSD's, but I know others do just the opposite - they have Samsung Memory and Patriot SSD's 🙂

When purchasing something I haven't purchased before, I always look for hands on reviews (not previews) that have real benchmark data I can compare against other potential choices.

All makes have top performers, and mid-list, and bargain selections. Some bargains are just as fast as the top end if the laptop/motherboard doesn't take advantage of the additional speed. You don't have to spend a lot and get the highest priced item to get a good result. You just need to decide what performance you will be satisfied with and find the best price on what fills that spec.

I have seen good benchmarks on A-data stuff, but I haven't seen any place local carry it for a while, so I haven't had a chance to try it myself.

Let us know what models you are looking at and give us some links to the reviews on performance.

reka121402
Level 7
Download CPU-z, it is a very safe and widely used program to find out what your hardware brand/info is.

Your RAM should be 1600MHz but will read 800MHz since it is DDR (double data rate), so 800 x 2 = 1600
The latency and timings is important when upgrading since RAM will only work at the rate of the lowest common denominator, when you upgrade try to match just for consistency's sake.
My RAM is running at 800MHz (797MHz actual reading) with timings of 11-11-11-28-2T which isn't really all that great since 9-9-9-24 is standard for those who build their own desktop computers. If you buy CL9 RAM, it will match your current RAM at CL11 by default.

My 7200rpm 750GB HDD that came with my 750JX was Hitachi, and I think it is a great brand. I upgraded to a Samsung 840pro, which was widely regarded as the "best" SSD out there in price v performance. Samsung has since launched the better 840 EVO. Intel SSDs are by far and away the most "reliable," but they are slower and far more expensive and the reliability is unnecessary unless running large RAID configs.

@reka121402, now that you mention it, my G53SX was the same way. It had Hynix RAM, and a Hitachi HDD. I upgraded it with Spectek RAM (Microcenter bargain stuff) and a Seagate hybrid drive (this was back when Microcenter bargain SSDs were $100 for 64 GB). Absolutely no compatibility problems with either upgrade. My memory runs at 1330 MHz, can't figure out why though.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Bohound
Level 7
TY everyone for answer, imma look for all the options, i just ordered my laptop but i previously got a g75vw, now that i have more info imma look aroudn for specs model and prices and see if you all can help me a lil bit more to decide!!!!

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
The only thing you need to be made aware of, is if you plan on upgrading your RAM in the 750, is you need to use RAM that runs off 1.35v, not 1.5 or else you'll damage the motherboard in it and quite possibly the RAM. Most of the Laptop Modules that run off 1.35v have an L at the end of the product name, so you can easily identify them from the other SO-DIMM sticks 🙂