Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73JW, SSD upgrade but broken CD-ROM?

marbhalroc
Level 7
G73JW, SSD upgrade but broken CD-ROM?
Hey guys,

I wanted to upgrade my HDD to an SSD for my main OS but I have a problem.

My CD ROM(BD E DS4E1S) is busted, I've tried disassembling, cleaning and reassembling it back. I also tried uninstalling the driver and re installing it, deleted the high and low registry and tried upgrading the firmware. Still didn't work

I could do a system restore by pressing f9 though.

Now I have these questions before trying to upgrade:
1) Is it possible to do a system restore to my SSD through f9 so that I could use that as my main partition?
2) If not, what's the cheapest optical reader I can buy for this model G73JW-A1?

Thanks a lot for your help!
2 REPLIES 2

indianacarnie
Level 8
Not quite sure I'm following you here. A system image taken from a HDD cannot be used with an SSD. Different ways of storing the data. If you're trying to install an SSD and transfer your O.S. to it you can buy "bundles" that include the hardware and software needed to do that with the SSD. Or you could do it yourself and save some money.

Yes , you can install the O.S. from a usb stick too. If all you're wanting is a working optical drive (external) then almost any of them will work. If you're wanting to replace the optical drive INTERNALLY then my advice is to bite the bullet and get it from Asus. Any 3rd party internal optical drive will NOT look right because of the bezel. (you'll have a big gaping hole in the side of your machine)

If you need help in transferring the O.S. from the HDD to the SSD see this : http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/149969-ssd-install-transfer-operating-system.html
G74Sx BBK-8 Crucial M4 128GB.SSD/W.D.500Gb.@7200 HHD 16GB. RAM Stock otherwise.

An End,even with Terror is better than Terror without End. F.Nietzsche

Pitcher1
Level 9
you can visit asus e-store to buy cd-rom, if you need.