cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Build advice 2014

SpikeAman
Level 7
I am about to make my first new gaming pc this year and I wonder if you can help me a bit with the hardware... I am between some products in every category so there i need your help. Things i need: Motherboard, CPU, Graphics card, memory, power supply.
The only thing i am sure is the graphics card, an Asus gtx 770 DC2OC 2gb.
For motherboard i am sure and asus fun and maybe a rampage iv formula retail or?
Memory i really dont know..Thinking of 16gb..
CPU i checked in cpuboss.com the i7 lga2011 4820k one at 3.7ghz what do you think?
Power supply.. hmm.. really like the corsair one... 850w or? maybe more?
All these i dont want to cost more than 1300 euro so be near this price if you have any more idea 😄 Thanks!
74 REPLIES 74

NeedCoffee
Level 7
I think your on the right track. I feel x79 lga2011 is king. So the RIVE is an excellent choice. You might even find it a tad cheaper now that the RIVE BL is out. (or almost out...idk)
850 psu is more than enough for what you have listed.
as for the i7 4820k, you cant use it on a non updated RIVE. I ran into this problem a month ago and the great people here set me straight, so I got the i7 3820 and im up and running. Apparently there is no way to update a RIVE to ivy without first using a sandy. I'm not dissapointed though the 3820 is stupid fast. i got a 4.6 oc on air.

what ram were you thinking? 16 gb is a good amount. I bought g-skill ripjaw z. its quad channel and specially made for x79.

what games do you play?
Asus Rampage IV Extreme * i7 3820 @4.7 GHz (on air) * Thermalright Ultra-120 extreme (push/pull) * 16gb G-Skill Ripjaw z 2133 * Asus GTX 670 * Asus VG248QE * PC Power & Cooling 860 * Samsung 840 250GB SSD * x2 Mushkin Chronos 120GB SSD

Still need some help with what RIVE means 😛 Still cannot understand what problem you faced with the cpu.. You got any cpu to tell me?

SpikeAman wrote:
Still need some help with what RIVE means 😛

Rampage IV Extreme. The old king of X79 ROG motherboards.

When it comes to gaming, an i5 is more than enough for a budget build. More and more games take advantage of HT now so getting an i7 makes sense if you have a more generous budget. The mainstream platforms like Z87 gets outdated quicker than the enthusiast X79 platform.

The choices you make depends on the level of gaming you are aiming for. How many monitors are you planning to run? How long are you planning to keep this system? And the most important factor of all. What is your total budget?

Once you know the answers to these three questions, then you'd know what kind of components you need.

Chino wrote:
Rampage IV Extreme. The old king of X79 ROG motherboards.
The choices you make depends on the level of gaming you are aiming for. How many monitors are you planning to run? How long are you planning to keep this system? And the most important factor of all. What is your total budget?

I see. Generally speaking i like more the RIVE cuz of the extra ammount of ram can supply in contrast with formula retail that i had on my mind.
My budget for Motherboard,CPU,GPU,Ram,PSU.
For now on i almost finished with motherboard(RIVE),GPU(asus gtx 770 2gb), Ram(RipjawsZ REEEED 😛 ) and PSU(corsair ax860i)
So now lets roll with the CPU.. Antronman 4 years ago i bout the AMD PHENOM II X4 970 QUAD CORE and i had it in my mind to change 2 years ago.. so i dont want amd.. I know Intel will cost me a lot... but.. it will worth the money

My budget all come at 1300 euro. Fcking Greek market..

Antronman
Level 10
The 4820k is more expensive than the 4770k, and has worse benchmarks. I would go with a Maximus VI Formula, unless you'll go for an i7-4930k or 4960x. And to be even more honest, the AMD FX-9370 without OC is equal to the 4770k, and thus better than the 4820k, yet much, much cheaperAlong with that, a socket 2011 build is not a great idea with a budget of appx. 1700USD, especially if you're grabbing 16GBs of RAM or more which can be expensive. That means you could go with a cheaper, still awesome Crosshair V Formula-Z Motherboard. PSU, go for a Corsair AX860i or AX1000i, or a Seasonic Platinum - 860 or Seasonic Platinum - 1000. 16GB of memory is the most you will ever use. Even 8GB is good. I recommend G. Skill Ripjaws Z or Corsair Dominator Platinum, although to be honest I would go with the Ripjaws because it's cheaper and still amazing quality. . You picked a good GPU although I would've gone with a Radeon.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

Antronman I wont go for an i7-4930 or 4960 even cuz they will overcharge me 😛 I need something in the amount of 300 euro or so.. I like corsair ax860i and maybe is the best choice.. still cannot find motherboard to fit perfectly with the g.skill ripjaws 16gb and my gtx 770

Antronman
Level 10
Actually, an i5 is not worth it. If you look at benchmark charts, the FX-8350, FX-9370, and of course the FX-9590 all outclass it with base clocks. And the FX-8350 is 20USD cheaper. And the FX-9370, is equal to the i7-4770k while a whopping 100USD cheaper.

Antronman wrote:
Actually, an i5 is not worth it. If you look at benchmark charts, the FX-8350, FX-9370, and of course the FX-9590 all outclass it with base clocks. And the FX-8350 is 20USD cheaper. And the FX-9370, is equal to the i7-4770k while a whopping 100USD cheaper.

You are looking at the wrong charts, mate. Do not confuse gaming benchmarks with general CPU benchmarks. Normally the i7-4770k will beat its i5 brother by a good margin because of HT. But gaming wise, the gap reduces to like 5%.

And as I said in my previous post, it all depends on your budget. If you have a hefty budget or you do other heavy workloads with your system, the i7 will get anyone's vote. Hands down. But if you're on a tight budget and all you do is game, the wiser choice is to grab the i5 which goes for like 100USD less and put the extra money to get a better GPU. In most, if not all, situations the CPU isn't the bottleneck in a gaming system. The GPU is.

Chino wrote:
You are looking at the wrong charts, mate. Do not confuse gaming benchmarks with general CPU benchmarks. Normally the i7-4770k will beat its i5 brother by a good margin because of HT. But gaming wise, the gap reduces to like 5%.

And as I said in my previous post, it all depends on your budget. If you have a hefty budget or you do other heavy workloads with your system, the i7 will get anyone's vote. Hands down. But if you're on a tight budget and all you do is game, the wiser choice is to grab the i5 which goes for like 100USD less and put the extra money to get a better GPU. In most, if not all, situations the CPU isn't the bottleneck in a gaming system. The GPU is.

I understand the i7 beats the i5 by a good margin. I never said the i7 sucked. I said the FX-8350 is better than the i5, and the FX-9370 is better than the i7.