Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array NeedCoffee's Avatar

The important things for games are the GPU's. X79 and a 770 will be worse gaming than Z87 and a 780 or better a 780Ti...
    Arne, I like your posts. They are always so knowledgeable. But i dont understand this one.

I assumed LGA 2011 processors would be better for gaming overall because they dont have things gamers dont need like built in GPU. (since gamers typically have a video card)

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Arne Saknussemm View Post
    Well to be honest one of the major reasons for getting X79 is to get a 6 core CPU. The 4820K would be the best four core CPU for the RIVE. The thing is, I would honestly think about getting a different platform for four cores. The 3930K or 4930K are what you really want to run on X79.

The 4930K and 4820K are IB-E processors and the 3930K and 3820 are SB-E. The RIVE is optimised for SB-E for the most part even though later BIOS versions let you run IB-E on it. Ideally for IB-E though you would want the RIVBE....(black edition).
    4930k and 3930k cost both 500euro, and will take me higher than my budget can afford... 4820k is just fine.. normally 300euro!

Whats the difference between the IB-E andthe SB-E? also the difference between RIVE and RIVBE?

ROG 師傅 Array Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Laptop?...No way! (Model?...Jun Amaki...yes way!)
    MotherboardROG ZENITH EXTREME
    ProcessorTHREADRIPPER 1920X
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C14Q-32GVK
    Graphics Card #1GTX Titan X
    Graphics Card #2SLI is dead to me
    Graphics Card #3Tri SLI is even dead to Nvidia
    Graphics Card #4Quad SLI is dead to everybody especially my credit card
    Sound CardXonar Essence STX
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 950 PRO
    Storage #22x OCZ VERTEX 3/2x WD Caviar Black 500GB / 2x WD RED 2TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop: Dual D5s, Dual Alphacool Monsta 480s, XSPC Raystorm Neo TR4, EK TitanX WaterBlock
    CaseNope!...Phobya Bench...let it all hang out man!
    Power SupplySeasonic SS-1200XP3
    Keyboard Logitech G810 or Fender Rhodes Electric Piano (MKI 73)
    Mouse G502 or Speedy Gonzalez...not Mickey...don't do Disney!
    Headset ...firmly on neck
    Mouse Pad Mouse don't got his own pad man...lives with me
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Spinnaker...or you mean the speakers in my head...man too many voices to name them all
    OS Win XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 Spyware Edition
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #1 Umm...nice tie?
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?
    Accessory #3 3 accessories?! I'm not a girl!!

They are slightly different architectures...but both LGA2011 CPUs and so fit on the same motherboards. BUT....while IB-E will work on RIVE the RIVBE is optimised for it and likewise....RIVE best suited to SB-E by all accounts....though unfortunately this is not stated clearly by anyone in the industry.....

Quote Originally Posted by NeedCoffee View Post
    Arne, I like your posts. They are always so knowledgeable. But i dont understand this one.

I assumed LGA 2011 processors would be better for gaming overall because they dont have things gamers dont need like built in GPU. (since gamers typically have a video card)
    its the CPU thats the "built in GPU" here mate
    and dont have to be used since its an option.
    i would do like arne stated too, go for the Z87 system since it mutch cheeper then the X79 and spend the money on for example graphics or ssd/ssd's or other things you need.
    the 770 is mainly a "boosted" 680 card.
    i dont know what games you play or what.
    the Z87 range ROG board have bether onboard sound and a lill more power on the sound then the X79 range have.

ROG Enthusiast Array

It will be difficult in Greece to find RIVBE... still searching and nothing!

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array Antronman's Avatar

If you have a tight budget, AMD can get the job done. Phenom IIs are pretty ancient by now, and by no means are amazing. The FX-8350 and the two FX-9xxxs are much better than people realize. The 8350 comes in cheaper than the i5-4670k, and outperforms it in benchmarks. The FX-9370 is STILL cheaper than the i5-4670k, and yet it has the muscle of the i7-4770s (including the k) and the FX-9590 is cheaper than the i7-4770k, and yet outperforms it in benchmarks. But oh well...

I don't understand why you would build a socket LGA2011 on a budget of less than the equivalent of 2500USD, but ok then.
    The RIVE is not the king anymore, as the Black Edition is around now. Both have a marginal difference in pricing, yet the Black Edition supports higher factory clocks on the RAM. It also looks a bit better (in my opinion). Watch JJs video about the differences and you can understand more. The reason I say you should have a 2500USD equivalent or higher budget on an LGA2011 build is because socket 2011s are the big, bad extremes. But the i7-4820k just sucks. It's a CPU from the series of CPUs meant to be amazing, but it is worse than the best LGA1150 can offer. Unless you can afford an i7-4930k or i7-4960x or previous gen equivalent, it is not worth making a socket 2011 rig. But you can't get a 4th gen, can you? Because the RIVE is a socket 2011 motherboard that requires a BIOS update before it can use 4th gen socket 2011 CPUs. But if you insist on socket LGA2011 and the RIVE, I would buy the i7-3820k because of the budget.

ROG Enthusiast Array

When you are saying RIVBE you mean https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/RA...BLACK_EDITION/ ?

Yes, the RIVBE is the Black Edition. The RIVE is the Extreme. The RIVG is the Gene.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Searching on net i found gtx 770 both in 2gb and 4gb. Is it true?

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeAman View Post
    Searching on net i found gtx 770 both in 2gb and 4gb. Is it true?
    Yes. They are GPUs made by the manufacturer with a higher memory. However, I would not advise you to buy a GTX 770. I would advise you to buy an R9 280x. Best price/performance GPU on the market.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast