cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WANTED: best config w/ASUS vg248qe monitor and ASUS g75vx 670mx. What cable???

_COSMO_
Level 7
ASUS tech support has me going in circles on this.

Which should I use? I have the ASUS g75vx and the ASUS vg248qe.

The Monitor has HDMI, DVI and DUAL LINK DVI.

The Laptop has VGA , HDMI and a Thunderbolt.

Or what is the best option? I don't think I can get to 144 with the 670mx vid card. I do however want the most out of whichever cable connection.

Thanks for the info.
G75VX
Nvidia Geforce GTX 670mx
ASUS vg248qe
16 GB ram
1 TB 6400 R SATA 2.5
Windows 8
Saitek Throttle and Joy Stick
Saitek Combat Pedals
Track IR 5
4 REPLIES 4

Clintlgm
Level 14
*COSMO* wrote:
ASUS tech support has me going in circles on this.

Which should I use? I have the ASUS g75vx and the ASUS vg248qe.

The Monitor has HDMI, DVI and DUAL LINK DVI.

The Laptop has VGA , HDMI and a Thunderbolt.

Or what is the best option? I don't think I can get to 144 with the 670mx vid card. I do however want the most out of whichever cable connection.

Thanks for the info.

Well HDMI limits you to 1080, Not sure but I think your Thunderbolt port is a dual port thunderbolt/Mini Display Port "Mini DP"? At least the G75 VW were advertised to have that, we never got the thunderbolt, the VX did and I think a mini DP to DVI to your monitor would give you the best options. There may be a Thunderbolt to DVI Solution I don't know. Check your manual and see about the TB port Being a Dual port TB or Mini DP software switch!
Here's an older thread on this subject http://rog.asus.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-33693.html?
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Hmmmmm.....I did the Mini Thunderbolt option and it would not work.

I thought that was the best option. The ASUS monitor would not read it. Unless there is a work around.

I can try the Dual-link DVI cable from the monitor to HDMI on the laptop and see what that yields.

Looks like I wont be able to tap into that 144. Unless anyone has a better solution.

Thank you.
G75VX
Nvidia Geforce GTX 670mx
ASUS vg248qe
16 GB ram
1 TB 6400 R SATA 2.5
Windows 8
Saitek Throttle and Joy Stick
Saitek Combat Pedals
Track IR 5

Well as long as you are using HDMI you won't be able to get better than 1080P Resolution.
Perhaps I'm wrong or you misunderstood me. That thunderbolt port is a dual port TB or MiniDP?

On Further looking around, HDMI is the best you can do unless your monitor has a Display Port or a Thunderbolt port. I think your refresh rate is Monitor dependent your GPU is capable of faster refresh rates. Its just that the screens on our NB's don't support faster refresh rates. That is unless you have a 3D configuration model then it will have a screen of lower resolution but 120 hz refresh rate

HDMI you'll get 1080P and digital sound. refresh rate should be monitor dependent
MiniDP/TB to Hdmi you get the same
MiniDP/TB to DVI you get higher resolution but no sound, as far as know DVI has never piped sound only Video.
mDP/TB to Display Port you should get Higher resolution and digital sound
A quick check on Amazon it looks like adapters are not created equal some will pass through higher resolutions than others. You should research this since you have either the mDP or TB and that should give you the best resolutions

Also looked up the model Monitor you called out it also has Display Port and Native resolution 1920 1080 at least the one on Amazon does?

I may be wrong about your TB port also being a mDP, when we first got our G75VW there was a lot of misinformation about the mDP and TB I thought I remember somewhere in the original manual that there was a way to Switch between these. I can't seem to find that information now on how that switch would have been accomplished I do remember that is was software driven Perhaps a setting in the BIOS? However all that may have been some of the misleading advertising Asus was putting out about the G75VW back in 2012

All this is meaning less since the monitor in question is only 1080 monitor HDMI will fully support it. You would only need mDP or TB for a monitor that would support Higher resolutions
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

spanishflyer
Level 7
Well, I thought I could help you out in this one, since you do have a Display Port on the monitorand a Mini Display Port/Thunderbolt on the laptop, but then checking out the specs on your ASUS monitor I realized that the maximum resolution is 1920 x 1080, So in your case HDMI or DP won't make any difference.

In my case, I have connected the Mini DP on the G75 to the DP on the Dell U2711 and I get a maximum resolution of 2560 x 1440. With the HDMI I was only getting the 1080 and in this big screen it didn't look good at all, specially when dealing with Photograph editing ASO... At first, using the HDMI I thought I had just thrown the extra cash out the window...:( But when I got the Mini DP to DP cable it was just magic; plug & play more or less.

By the way, in my case at least, the Mini DP, even though it has a Thunderbolt symbol stamped on it, it is ONLY a display port.

Take a look at the attached pics....

Best regards,

Spanish Flyer