cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i7 - 2700K coming. new BIOS needed?

Prophet
Level 7
So, with the new 2700K SB, will a new BIOS be needed for it to work or should current BIOS get it running? I plan to get one the day they show up at work.
2 REPLIES 2

Raja
Level 13
It should POST, though may need a microcode update to work properly.

-Raja

Spathi
Level 9
Hi Raja, the current BIOS needs some work anyway.
We currently have to follow all these tips to get a "Normal" system...
http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?3462-vcore-wont-change-when-cpu-is-at-IDLE
Should be connected to the old sticky or a new one.

I followed all these a while back to get the voltages close to norm and the CPU controlling them and kept the default GENE-Z OC of 3800 it seems to work well at stock voltages for me.

I also remove the double post by setting bclk manually to 100 and set VCCSA/IO to as low as possible for my ram.
It would be nice to have the BIOS do a normal setup without having to set all the voltages, the DRAM timings and DRAM frq and bclk, offsets, VCCIO and the other bits.

It would also be nice to be able to export the BIOS settings. I noticed someone suggested this and it seems like a good idea to me. It is a pain to screen shot them all.

Maybe the current defaults are to give the greatest compatibility with DRAM to include 1.65V DRAM and to ensure peoples CPU's boot at 3800, all well and good, but they are not great defaults.