cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Beastly Junkinator

SussoGobbino
Level 7
Good day everyone, I'm a new member on this forum, so here's a brief introduction;
I've always liked computers, but only since a few months ago I started getting really interested in them.
I followed a Hardware Technician course, on which exam I got maximum score, and I will shortly follow notebook and console courses as well.
My current computer is getting old, so I decided to build a new rig.
I thought about using my old computer case, above all because of funds limitation, until I found a beauty at the junkyard.
It's the perfect occasion to free my imagination and see what I can do; even if this i the first PC I build, I'm aiming high by trying to mod the creature I will soon show you.

This is the list of the components I bought, thanks to various offers and promotions:

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
CPU: AMD FX-8350
Video card: Sapphire HD 7950 Boost
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB 1600MHz CL9
SSD: Kingston v300 60GB
Power supply: Antec CP-1000

Recycled components from other computers:

DVD rewriter
Card reader
HDDs: 1x500GB WD + 1x160GB Seagate

It is now time to show you the case:

Terrific, isn't it?
No. Or, better yet, yes. Anyway, it needs a new look.

The name of the mod comes after the fact that this case is enormous, and that, to mod it, I will use materials recovered from the junkyard, or destined to be thrown away, as far as it is possible.

The work has already started, but they are going on slowly, above all because I do not have the right tools.
I will try to constantly update, hoping not to be surprised by unexpected problems.

I will appreciate suggestions and opinions, do not hesitate to ask questions!

Have a good reading 🙂
66 REPLIES 66

Dr__Zchivago
Level 12
Nice - I love the idea of a 'junk' rig. My water-cooled project was put together piece-meal too, and now it sits in a corner crunching Mersenne Primes.

Antronman
Level 10
Glad to see it is AMD. I personally don't like old cases. Mostly because they're all moldy.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

I'll start off by presenting the case, as it was when i got it.

I was at the junkyard, and a lady comes and asks where to throw it. The answer was simple, in the trunk of my car!

I like the front door, I'd like to keep it, but if the interior comes out nicely, I might as well remove it. It's an Olidata Toraton, I haven't found much information about it, but it is a server / workstation case.

Here's how it was inside, sincerly, I expected to find less air and more substance, considering the massive weight:

And here's what was hiding beneath the heatsink!

I start dismantling everything.

The case is divided in two comparments, the lower one for the motherboard and 3 hard disks + a floppy / card reader, the upper one houses the power supply and 6 optical units.

The motherboard was mounted on this nice tray, which can support various formats. The expansion slots panel has 7 slots, perfect for an ATX motheboard.

Here are some more pics of the monster.

Most of the cases have the classic slide and screw side panel, so dows this one.
To make it more peculiar, nice and handy, I though about adding a long hinge and transform it into a door.

First of all, I removed the metal hooks and supports that hooked into the case, so that it could be removed without the need to slide it backwards. It was easy, I just grabbed them with a pair of pliers, and bent them a number of times, some hammering made the broken joints flat.

To allow for the installation of the hinge, I have to rotate the panel by 180° degrees, so that the "L" profile isn't located in the back.

The first problem I encountered, was that the "L" part covered the rivets and the holes, needed to hold the front panel in place.

I solved this by making several notches along the profile, an extremely tiring job, using a drill and a lot of hand filing to achieve the correct shape.

A long time ago, I scavenged this hinge from a kitchen fan hood, knowing that it would have been useful, sooner or later.

It looks like it was made for it, the length is perfect 😄

Here's how it looks when it's mounted.

I had to make holes in the frame, for the rivets to fit in, or it wouldn't close.

See you next update 🙂

SussoGobbino
Level 7
Thanks, in my old computer I had an Intel CPU, I switched to AMD because my budget is extremely limited, and I could find some good offers.

What I like about old cases (besides the fact that they are free :P) is that they are plain and bulky, they can be styled as you wish, with no restriction of "factory style".
This is my first work ever, so I might be wrong, but I personally feel that way.

An update with a presentation of the case is coming shortly, in a maximum of a hour!

kkn
Level 14
mmmmmmmmmmm old VGA card slots and not to say IDE cables 😄 ❤️

abvolt
Level 11
That old case looks really cool do I see a floppy or is that a LS 120 ?
Current: MSI Xpower Gaming Titanium | 7700K | G Skill Ripjaws V 3000 16Gb | 960 EVO 500Gb | Intel 730 480Gb | Seasonic 1000 Platinum |
NZXT X62 | Acer XB270HU | EVGA 1080 ti FTW3

Secondary: R4BE | 4930K | G.SKILL 2400 16GB | Corsair AX 1500i
Intel 730 240GB + 480GB | EVGA GTX780 ti sli kpe | Custom H20

Retired
Not applicable
Great stock solution, sure it isnt a Antec case?..:D

The air penetrator..

abvolt wrote:
That old case looks really cool do I see a floppy or is that a LS 120 ?

That is a normal floppy slot, not lucky enough to find an LS-120 😕

WhitePaw wrote:
Great stock solution, sure it isnt a Antec case?..:D

The air penetrator..

There is brand and model on the front door, it's an Olidata Toraton. Maybe Antec used the same frame, but this is what I got 🙂