cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My G750 updating all the time?

hozer
Level 7
Now I like to update my G750 when I feel its needed. I have Windows update TURNED Off!! I have gone thru my startup and shut down every progie that has to be updated that I can find. Does asus have an auto update progie if so what is the name So I can turn it off. I dont like progams to be updated unlessI know was is being updated!

Thanks 🙂
10 REPLIES 10

hmscott
Level 12
hozer wrote:
Now I like to update my G750 when I feel its needed. I have Windows update TURNED Off!! I have gone thru my startup and shut doen every that has to be updated that I can fine. Does asus have an auto update progie if so what is the name So I can turn it off. I dont like progams to be updated unlessI know was is being updated!
Thanks 🙂

Which program is coming up telling you you need updates? Please post a screen shot if it isn't obvious where the update request is coming from and we will try to recognize it.

There are several possibilities. Asus Live Update, Asus Installer, and some of the Asus tools also do their own updates - I always go through the settings for each program I install - like Adobe / Microsoft / Oracle / etc and turn off automatic update checking, downloading, installing - so I can stay in control of changes.

Windows Update has several levels of updating, from complete automatic download and install to just a notification - check out the settings there too. Also, now the Microsoft Store does it's own App updates so you need to set those settings too 🙂

hmscott wrote:
Which program is coming up telling you you need updates? Please post a screen shot if it isn't obvious where the update request is coming from and we will try to recognize it.

There are several possibilities. Asus Live Update, Asus Installer, and some of the Asus tools also do their own updates - I always go through the settings for each program I install - like Adobe / Microsoft / Oracle / etc and turn off automatic update checking, downloading, installing - so I can stay in control of changes.

Windows Update has several levels of updating, from complete automatic download and install to just a notification - check out the settings there too. Also, now the Microsoft Store does it's own App updates so you need to set those settings too 🙂

Sorry bud I have no clue what is being updated. It happend when I reboot my machine and all it sez is "Updating Please don now turn off you compter" So that is why I no clue on what is being updated!

You said " Asus Live Update, Asus Installer, and some of the Asus tools also do their own updates" so how can I turn off all that crap?

hozer wrote:
Sorry bud I have no clue what is being updated. It happend when I reboot my machine and all it sez is "Updating Please don now turn off you compter" So that is why I no clue on what is being updated!

You said " Asus Live Update, Asus Installer, and some of the Asus tools also do their own updates" so how can I turn off all that crap?

That warning is from Windows Update, here is how the Windows Update control panel settings should look to not get any updates unless you do it yourself manually:

For any other program, you need to go into that program and set up it's settings directly.

I would recommend doing Windows Update manually until you have nothing left to update.

If you are already on Windows 8.1 there are a lot of bugs that will be fixed over the next months, and if you are on Windows 8 you need to update everything before Windows 8.1 will allow install.

I skip Bing and all the non-English languages - including setting all those to be Hidden, but I install Silverlight and manually update everything else weekly - usually on Tuesday or Wednesday night after Microsoft rolls out new updates on Tuesday.

I'm not trying to be rude but Like I said before...........

Now I like to update my G750 when I feel its needed. I have Windows update TURNED Off!! I have gone thru my startup and shut down every progie that has to be updated that I can find. Does asus have an auto update progie if so what is the name So I can turn it off. I dont like progams to be updated unlessI know was is being updated!

Thanks

hozer wrote:
I'm not trying to be rude but Like I said before...........

Thanks

There is an update that is trying to complete from Windows Update - it is the only one that at shutdown/startup is going to say that or look like that message.

Try running this Windows Update repair tool from Microsoft, and see what it says:
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/windows-update-issues

You will need to set the update/notification settings for each program individually. That means you need to run the program and set the settings - whether from the program, the systray icon, or an associated Control Panel.

Please come back when you fixed the updating issue, and let us know what the problem was 🙂

wrangler
Level 7
Normally you open a program, look for "settings" or "preferences" in the menus, and edit those options. Some programs may have a presence in Control Panel, with a way to change settings there.

hozer
Level 7
I just deleted the programs no big deal. I wont need them unless I have to use them.

Thanks guys. BTW: windows update is always turned off on my puter!

Pitcher1
Level 9
i think if you close asus life update, asus will not tell you update again, aslos you can unstall asus utilities without driver, if you don;t needed.
or it is for microsoft store need you update some utilities.

Nehmia
Level 9
Another thing might be, is that you DO have Windows Update OFF, but during the initial setup of Windows 8 there is an option to automatically get new drivers and if that is on, then you have havoc! It will silently install driver updates without you even knowing and all of a sudden you'll wake up with a computer that is useless because the Windows updates are not 100% compatible with our laptop.

Examples of **** that gets updated from Windows update, Wireless LAN Driver, Bluetooth, VGA, Asus Wireless Radio Control
ASUS G750JX-CV050H
CPU: i7-4700HQ @ 2.40 GHz.
Memory: 32 GB DDR3 1600 MHz. Hynix RAM
Graphics: GeForce GTX 770M 3 GB GDDR5 RAM
Storage: 256 GB LiteOn LCM-256M3S SSD + 1 TB Seagate Momentus ST1000LM024 5400 RPM HDD
Screen: 17.3" Full HD 3D Glossy Screen
Router: ASUS RT-AC68U
Security: Webroot SecureAnywhere Antivirus for PC Gamers